The Janet Jackson Accomplishments Thread

Mr. Wonder

On 10/16/2022 at 12:42 AM, JoeJoe said:

I'm really surprised they like "If" better than her 2 other classic no.1s. Actually I like "If" better than "Together Again" anyway

If is the more "dancey" track, if that makes sense. As a dance track, If is better than the other two.

1 minute ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Rolling Stone: The 50 Greatest Concept Albums of All Time

20| Janet Jackson
'Control'

The Concept: The youngest member of the Jackson clan takes ownership of her career, image, music, sexuality, and life.

The Execution: No longer willing to simply do what she was told, Janet Jackson fired her manager (her notoriously controlling father) and annulled her marriage in the mid-Eighties. Her new manager introduced her to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, members of Minneapolis funk legends the Time, and that meeting led to Control, an emancipatory statement of purpose that would go on to influence the development of New Jack Swing. Control is a high-octane pop-soul record — seven of its nine tracks were singles — that features Jackson’s airborne soprano and rebellious spirit not just in the pumping kiss-offs “Nasty” and “What Have You Done for Me Lately,” but on the joyous “When I Think of You” and the stretched-out slow jam “Funny How Time Flies (When You’re Having Fun).” —M.J. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-concept-albums-1234604040/janet-jackson-19-1234604445/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...