'90s Survivor: 1990

TwistedElegance™

Well here we are. 1990 threw all kinds of classics our way and across 50 pages of shade, tears, tantrums, drags, and laughs we've whittled our way down to this. Janet Jackson occupies our top two spots, and even though we're on a Janet board this still stands as a testament to what a ground-splitting moment in music Rhythm Nation 1814 was. This feels right.

Our runner up is...

knfvTpP.jpg

Writer(s): Janet Jackson

Producer(s): Janet Jackson, Jellybean Johnson

Label: A&M

Coming in a very close 2nd for 1990 is the hair-raising 'Black Cat'. Released as the sixth single from Rhythm Nation 1814 and going on to become her fourth No. 1 on the Hot 100, the hard rock production earned Janet a Grammy nomination for Best Rock Vocal Performance, making the superstar the only artist in history to have Grammy nominations spanning the Dance, Pop, R&B, Rap and Rock categories. The track has remained a firm fan favourite over the years and proves its worth here again in our countdown.

Which means...

4hKoagK.jpg

Writer(s): Janet Jackson, James Harris III, Terry Lewis

Producer(s): Jam & Lewis

Claiming victory for 1990 is the untouchable 'Rhythm Nation'. Jackson's wish to pack the first half of Rhythm Nation 1814 with hard-hitting social commentary was served no better than with this classic. Calling for an end to injustice and pleading for racial unity, the song's message hit just as hard as its pots-n-pans percussion, at the same time showcasing Janet's voice like no other in her catalogue. The track's revolutionary video took on a life of its own, picking up MTV, Soul Train and Billboard awards and inspiring countless followers. Billboard readers voted it the tenth best video of the '80s while Slant magazine, VH1 and MTV all ranked it on their lists of 100 greatest videos ever made. By all accounts it is a very worthy winner of 1990 Survivor!

So how did we get here? The votes stacked up like this:

Rhythm Nation: Escapade, Bailey, hotboy, JoeJoe, HollyHood, TwistedElegance

Black Cat: Bu, Reyna, Illi, RedSimba, jarrylf

It was that close!

• Upvote 2

Yea it's a win win for me, as long as it was a RN song I was cool, that whole era & album slayed thus why I was willing to fight for every song listed from that album because I really do LOVE every song on there more tha other songs I love, were it the Control or TVR era it'd be easier for me to drop Janet songs for others.

But anyway RN is the perfect song to win, it's a whole movement, it's eclectic, it has great vocals, an iconic video amazing performances to this day, nothing else on the list quite compares on that aspect.

Well here we are. 1990 threw all kinds of classics our way and across 50 pages of shade, tears, tantrums, drags, and laughs we've whittled our way down to this. Janet Jackson occupies our top two spots, and even though we're on a Janet board this still stands as a testament to what a ground-splitting moment in music Rhythm Nation 1814 was. This feels right.

Our runner up is...

knfvTpP.jpg

Writer(s): Janet Jackson

Producer(s): Janet Jackson, Jellybean Johnson

Coming in a very close 2nd for 1990 is the hair-raising 'Black Cat'. Released as the sixth single from Rhythm Nation 1814 and going on to become her fourth No. 1 on the Hot 100, the hard rock production earned Janet a Grammy nomination for Best Rock Vocal Performance, making the superstar the only artist in history to have Grammy nominations spanning the Dance, Pop, R&B, Rap and Rock categories. The track has remained a firm fan favourite over the years and proves its worth here again in our countdown.

Which means...

4hKoagK.jpg

Writer(s): Janet Jackson, James Harris III, Terry Lewis

Producer(s): Jam & Lewis

Claiming victory for 1990 is the untouchable 'Rhythm Nation'. Jackson's wish to pack the first half of Rhythm Nation 1814 with hard-hitting social commentary was served no better than with this classic. Calling for an end to injustice and pleading for racial unity, the song's message hit just as hard as its pots-n-pans percussion, at the same time showcasing Janet's voice like no other in her catalogue. The track's revolutionary video took on a life of its own, picking up MTV, Soul Train and Billboard awards and inspiring countless followers. Billboard readers voted it the tenth best video of the '80s while Slant magazine, VH1 and MTV all ranked it on their lists of 100 greatest videos ever made. By all accounts it is a very worthy winner of 1990 Survivor!

So how did we get here? The votes stacked up like this:

Rhythm Nation: Escapade, Bailey, hotboy, JoeJoe, HollyHood, TwistedElegance

Black Cat: Bu, Reyna, Illi, RedSimba, jarrylf

It was that close!

Oh and you forget that MTV viewers voted it Best Dance Video of All Time when they had that countdown on tv and allowed viewers to vote online :)

Wow.. One vote.. If I voted.. :whistle:

and i'm sure you would've voted for Rhythm Nation as well :)