Health, Food, and Fitness Thread

EphraimAdamz

Well if self-loathing is the issue you first have to learn to be patient with yourself. Life is full of successes and failures with people who have both good and bad to them. From this one shouldn't allow themselves to only focus too hard in either direction. If all you're doing is focusing on any mistakes you might have made, gently but surely force yourself to remember your strengths. Are you really only taking a couple steps forward or does it seem that way from this current view of yourself? It's easy to get frustrated with yourself like this especially if you're a perfectionist, but even perfectionists eventually have to accept our own humanity. Even if you're right in taking only a couple steps forward, they could very well be worthwhile steps and the ones back only minor.

Every bit of growth counts. It's hard to see it day to day, but the longer you do the difference is clear.

I hadn't thought about it that way, that the steps forward could be "bigger strides" than the steps back. I feel like I've been trying for so long (with things in general, not just weight) and end up in the same spot... But I know I'm just tired and letting the failures or missteps block me from seeing the overall progress I've made.

Thank you Reyna

• Upvote 1

Same. I've been so depressed for the past two years and it has really taken a toll on my eating habits. I gained so much weight freshman year from stress eating. You just have to keep yourself busy and take your mind off of it. My escape is Netflix. I binge watch and I don't feel bad about it because it takes my mind off of the depressing thoughts that constantly plague me. Also, I try to surround myself with healthy food instead of junk. I literally force myself to crave apples and other healthy stuff. I'll be here for you if you ever need help. It's tough but you'll eventually learn how to manage it... sort of LOL. And it's also important to remember that one bad meal will not make you gain weight. You can always start over so don't get discouraged.

The last part of what you said is one of my biggest problems... I tend to go off the deep end with just one indescretion. That's really at the heart if the problem, trying to find that balance. It's really hard to kick old habits but I guess I just need to keep trying.

And thank you too, I appreciate it

I hadn't thought about it that way, that the steps forward could be "bigger strides" than the steps back. I feel like I've been trying for so long (with things in general, not just weight) and end up in the same spot... But I know I'm just tired and letting the failures or missteps block me from seeing the overall progress I've made.

Thank you Reyna

Right. It's easy to see it as minor if you're just looking day to day. Widen your gaze to months, a year, or more, and you can really see your progress. And always be patient with yourself.

You're welcome, Roc ^_^ *hugs*

• Upvote 1

Right. It's easy to see it as minor if you're just looking day to day. Widen your gaze to months, a year, or more, and you can really see your progress. And always be patient with yourself.

You're welcome, Roc ^_^ *hugs*

*stifles tears* :tear:

I got this -_-

I went on a seven-year health binge, lost 125 pounds and have since been into body-building. It's an incredible release but after a promotion and moving in with bae I picked up some of my old stress-eating habits again. -_- My workouts are too intense for me to be so particular about my food choices anymore though.

Here's an update photo. Hopefully Janet would be proud of me. #GetOnIt

tumblr_n4o5754trj1qeiaebo1_500.jpg

You look fantastic!

• Upvote 1

The last part of what you said is one of my biggest problems... I tend to go off the deep end with just one indescretion. That's really at the heart if the problem, trying to find that balance. It's really hard to kick old habits but I guess I just need to keep trying.

And thank you too, I appreciate it

No problem! That was one of the biggest lessons I had to learn. It was so easy for me to get discouraged after one bad meal. That's why all of my health plans used to fail cause I would just give up. It helps to look at it as a lifestyle. Realistically, I'm not going to completely cut out pizza, fries, burgers, etc in my lifetime. Sometimes I'm going to indulge but that doesn't eradicate all of my progress. It's a hard process but it really starts with the right mind set.

I went on a seven-year health binge, lost 125 pounds and have since been into body-building. It's an incredible release but after a promotion and moving in with bae I picked up some of my old stress-eating habits again. -_- My workouts are too intense for me to be so particular about my food choices anymore though.

You look fantastic!

Thank you! 125 lbs is a lot! Congrats!

What kind of work outs do you all like to do at the gym? I personally tend to stick with the bicycle.

• 4 months later...

Virtually none lol, which sucks cause I'm so busy. I think I just need to be stricter on my diet. I've been a little reckless with my eating habits. I think this last 15 lbs is the hardest to lose.

Possibly so. In talking to my cousin (he's a trainer), he told me the best way to lose way to lose weight and stay within your goal is managing your diet, yes, but also by doing strength training. Cardio will help you drop, but you lose fat and muscle in the process. Strength-training helps you build the muscle and burn the fat only and keep it off.

Possibly so. In talking to my cousin (he's a trainer), he told me the best way to lose way to lose weight and stay within your goal is managing your diet, yes, but also by doing strength training. Cardio will help you drop, but you lose fat and muscle in the process. Strength-training helps you build the muscle and burn the fat only and keep it off.

What kind of strength training do you all recommend?

What kind of strength training do you all recommend?

I'd start out simple and work your way up since you don't lift much now. I did the version 2 on this site since I had already done at least some lifting before. You might want to start with the first version at least on the first couple days. 

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

• Upvote 1