'90s Survivor: 1993 - Winner Revealed!

TwistedElegance™

3bAtIp8.jpg

Writer(s): Brian Alexander Morgan

Producer(s): Brian Alexander Morgan

Label: RCA

Taking out eighth spot for 1993 is R&B trio SWV. Released as the third single from the group's debut album It's About Time, 'Weak' is their only number one single on the Hot 100, besting the No. 6-peaking 'I'm So Into You' and follow-up 'Right Here' which stalled at No. 2. Penned by Brian Alexander Morgan, the song reportedly details his crush on singer Chanté Moore, for whom he'd intended to sing it had he not been too shy to ask her. At just seven, 'Weak' holds the record for the fewest number of characters which make up a title and artist's name on a No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 single. In 2004, a then-fourteen-year-old JoJo covered the song for her debut album.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Again - Janet Jackson

Dreamlover - Mariah Carey

I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston

I'm Every Woman - Whitney Houston

If - Janet Jackson

Right Here - SWV

That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson

Again

6eMYzOt.jpg

Writer(s): Mariah Carey, Dave Hall, David Porter

Producer(s): Mariah Carey, Dave Hall, Walter Afanasieff

Label: Columbia

Mariah Carey exits the competition as 'Dreamlover' touches down in seventh spot for 1993. Released as the lead single from Carey's third studio album Music Box, the R&B/pop gem became her seventh chart topper on Billboard's Hot 100. Of the track, Mariah says: "I wanted to do something that had a happy feeling, something that was more open and released", a quest which led her to Dave Hall, fresh off the success of Mary J. Blige's now classic What's The 411? Originally Hall was not into producing light and happy, but after searching through a lot of old tunes and melodies the pair decided on using a portion of 'Blind Alley', released by The Emotions in the early-'70s (the first of Carey's songs to feature a sample). Mariah started singing the melody over a loop of the track and things blossomed from there. Hall was won over by the legend's work ethic, coming around to the song after piecing together the lyrics and melody she had written. Tommy Mottola had mixed feelings toward the song and asked producer Walter Afanasieff to tweak it. He says: "Mariah and Dave did this loop thing which was new to us pop producers at the time. Their version of 'Dreamlover' was missing a lot of stuff. The spirit of the song was up but it wasn't hitting hard enough. I re-worked the drums, organ and keyboard. The organ and hi-hat part I changed made it a bit more swinging and a little bit more driving. I put a whole new shade of colors to it." The song's breezy clip was the first to be helmed by acclaimed music video director Diane Martel, who would go on to direct several more videos for Carey by the late-'90s. The track was a moderate hit worldwide, reaching the Top 2 in Canada and New Zealand, and Top 10 in both the UK and Australia.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Again - Janet Jackson

I Have Nothing - Whitney Houston

I'm Every Woman - Whitney Houston

If - Janet Jackson

Right Here - SWV

That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson

Again