'90s Survivor: 1994 - Winner Announced!

TwistedElegance™

The votes have been tallied!

In 3rd place...

YG9IWXM.jpg

Writer: Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds

Producers: Babyface, Daryl Simmons, L.A. Reid

Label: LaFace

The second single lifted from her multi-platinum self-titled debut, 'Breathe Again' was a Top 5 R&B single for Toni Braxton, rising to No. 3 on the Hot 100 while climbing one step higher in the UK, New Zealand and Australia. The song launched Toni Braxton on the world stage with her voice very much a talking point at the time. Of the song and her vocals, music critic Mitchell May writes, "The way her voice throbs when she sings, 'I can't stop thinking about you,' conveys a sense of despair and longing that is rare.' People Magazine also noted, "The quaver in her voice says more about love's promise and deceit than many singers manage in a career." The track's memorable video featured Toni wearing a 17th century gown whilst running through a garden maze. Directed by Randee St. Nicholas, the video expanded the partnership between Toni and the song's writer, Babyface, for whom Randee had directed several videos. 'Breathe Again' saw Toni win the Best Female R&B Vocal Performance Grammy for the second consecutive year after 'Another Sad Love Song', beating veterans Anita Baker, Gladys Knight and Aretha Franklin.

Voted for by: Reyna, Hollyhood

In 2nd place...

cVFTofq.png

Writers: Janet Jackson, James Harris III, Terry Lewis

Producers: Janet Jackson, Jam + Lewis

Label: Virgin

Released as the fifth single from the groundbreaking janet., 'Any Time, Any Place' became a record-setting 10 week R&B chart-topper for the youngest Jackson, whilst peaking at No. 2 on the Hot 100 behind All-4-One's 'I Swear'. Its No. 2 position made Janet the only artist in Billboard history to release 3 consecutive albums with at least five Top 10 singles. In what was a banner year for R. Kelly, the R&B icon remixed the tune which would be included on janet. Remixed released in 1995. Representing the central theme of janet., 'ATAP' is about the exploration of sex, with Janet singing of her desires to drop all inhibitions and give way to public displays of affection. The song's video was directed by Keir McFarlane who made his name working mostly with rock acts like Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow and The Cranberries. The bright colours bouncing off the screen in the makeshift apartment were in stark contrast to the song's sensuous nature, but fit perfectly. Recently the song has experienced a rebirth in the form of Kendrick Lamar's Drake-assisted 'Poetic Justice' which was a Top 5 R&B/Hip-Hop single. Producer Scoop DeVille says, "The way that 'Poetic Justice' came about, we were in the lab, working. I heard the record on the radio. When I hear certain things, it moves you in a certain way. It's like emotion," he explained. "When you hear a certain song come on the radio, it's like, oh my goodness, this is crazy for it to be around that time. That record is one of the sexiest records of our time. Growing up, it was just a big record. Hearing it the way I did, I thought it would be crazy if I flipped it." Internationally, 'ATAP' was a Top 20 single in the UK and New Zealand, while reaching No. 37 in Australia.

Voted for by: Game, Selz, Escapade

And our winner...

x7Ahb2v.jpg

Writer: Dallas Austin

Producer: Dallas Austin

Label: LaFace

The lead single from the R&B trio's sophomore album CrazySexyCool, 'Creep' became TLC's first chart-topper on the Hot 100 where it reigned for four weeks. The song samples Slick Rick's 'Hey Young World', while its lyrics tell the story of a woman who is aware of her man's infidelity and in turn cheats on him to appease her need for affection and attention. In the documentary The Last Days of Left Eye, Lisa revealed she was 100% against the release of 'Creep' as a single and threatened to wear black tape over her mouth in the video as she thought that when a girl finds out that her man is cheating on her she should leave rather than cheat back. The song's sound and accompanying video ushered in a newfound maturity for TLC, with the tomfoolery and boisterous nature of their debut almost a distant memory in the wake of CrazySexyCool's dominance. The song won the 1996 Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals, besting fellow girl group Brownstone who were touted as competition at the time. 'Creep' didn't match its No. 1 success outside of the US, but did manage a peak of No. 2 in New Zealand, whilst going Top 10 in the UK and Australia.

Voted for by: jarrylf, Andy, JoeJoe, Bu, Janet4life, TwistedElegance

A worthy winner indeed. Thanks to everyone for playing! :D

• Upvote 4