'90s Survivor: 1996 - Winner Announced!

TwistedElegance™

7ZEiUAs.jpg

Writers: Babyface, Bryce Wilson

Producers: Babyface, Bryce Wilson

Label: LaFace

Toni Braxton surrenders the first of two singles in our Top 10 as 'You're Makin' Me High' exits the competition in seventh place. Babyface's mid-'90s dominance continued with the release of Braxton's sophomore (and best-selling) album, Secrets. The super producer exec.-produced the album and penned its lead single along with Bryce Wilson; one half of Groove Theory. 'You're Makin' Me High' along with its video (co-starring Vivica A. Fox, Erika Alexander and Tisha Campbell-Martin) introduced a sexier side to Braxton who until then had played it relatively safe with R&B-by-numbers hits like 'Breathe Again' and 'Another Sad Love Song'. Rumours suggest the song was penned for Brandy, however it's hard to imagine Braxton's album without it. It became her first No. 1 single on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs charts; it remained atop for one week on the former and for two weeks on the latter, eventually being certified platinum by the RIAA. A dance remix by Morales allowed the single to also top the Hot Dance Club Play chart for two weeks in August 1996, while the 'Groove Mix' for urban markets was created featuring rapper Foxy Brown. The song rose to No. 2 in Australia, No. 5 in New Zealand and No. 7 in the UK. 'You're Makin' Me High' earned Braxton her third Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance in 1997.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey

California Love - 2Pac feat. Dr. Dre & Roger Troutman

Don't Let Go (Love) - En Vogue

Ironic - Alanis Morissette

Sittin' Up In My Room - Brandy

Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

California Love

• Upvote 1

li553lB.jpg

Writers: Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre, Joe Cocker, Woodrow Cunningham, Norman Durham, Mikel Hooks, Ronald Hudson, Christopher Stainton, Larry Troutman, Roger Troutman, J-Flexx

Producer: Dr. Dre

Label: Death Row, Interscope

2Pac & Dr. Dre bow out of the competition as the hip-hop classic 'California Love' claims sixth spot for 1996. The song was built on two samples, with its instantly recognisable wobbly piano hook taken from Joe Cocker's 1972 track 'Woman To Woman', and the chorus borrowing from 'West Coast Poplock' released by Ronnie Hudson & The Street People in 1982. An ode to the west coast and its hip-hop scene which both 2Pac & Dr. Dre pioneered through the '90s, 'California Love' was originally intended for inclusion on Dre's The Chronic II, but the album was shelved. It wound up serving as the lead single for 2Pac's All Eyez On Me, which made history as the first double-full-length rap album released on a commercial level - a trend followed in hip-hop by the likes of The Notorious B.I.G. with Life After Death, OutKast with Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, and Nelly with Sweat/Suit. Directed by Hype Williams, 'California Love''s iconic video was based on Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and features funk legend George Clinton as the villain, with comedian Chris Tucker playing his yes-man. It was nominated for Best Rap Video at the 1996 VMAs but lost to the less artistic 'Gangsta's Paradise' by Coolio & L.V. Released in the US as a double A-side single along with the K-Ci & JoJo-assisted 'How Do U Want It', 'California Love' topped the Hot 100 for two weeks in the summer of 1996. Internationally it is considred 2Pac's most successful single, ruling the charts in Italy, New Zealand and Sweden, whilst going Top 10 in Australia, Austria, Canada, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, and the UK.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey

Don't Let Go (Love) - En Vogue

Ironic - Alanis Morissette

Sittin' Up In My Room - Brandy

Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

Always Be My Baby