'90s Survivor: 1997 - Winner Announced!

TwistedElegance™

ihOwPMx.jpg

Writer: Mark Morrison

Producers: Cutfather & Joe

Label: Mack Life Records, Atlantic, Warner

Opening our Top 10 is Mark Morrison with 'Return Of The Mack'. A hit on both sides of the Atlantic, 'Mack' was a No. 1 single for Morrison in his native UK in 1996, whilst peaking at No. 2 in the US roughly one year later, where it was kept from the top by Hanson's 'MMMBop'. Like Mariah Carey's 'Daydream', 'Mack' samples Tom Tom Club's 1981 hit 'Genius Of Love' as well as Chuckii Booker's 1992 R&B No. 1, 'Games'. The song failed to garner subsequent hits for Morrison in the US where the album peaked at a paltry No. 79 on the Billboard 200, however in the UK the No. 4-peaking album produced five Top 10 hits from its seven singles released, a record on the British charts at the time. 'Return Of The Mack' reached No. 2 in Australia, No. 3 in New Zealand, and No. 17 in Canada.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

2 Become 1 - Spice Girls

Honey - Mariah Carey

How Do I Live - LeAnn Rimes

Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.

I Believe In You And Me - Whitney Houston

I'll Be Missing You - Puff Daddy & Faith Evans feat. 112

Mo Money Mo Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy & Mase

Together Again - Janet Jackson

Wannabe - Spice Girls

LeAnn Rimes

It's going to have to be Whitney or Leann. That is not Whitney's best song at all and the others are far superior but Leann is the least superior after Whitney imo. Ugh. So hard. I pick Whit

ATOrqFa.jpg

Writer: Diane Warren

Producers: Chuck Howard, Wilbur C. Rimes, Mike Curb

Label: Curb

In a close race against Whitney Houston, LeAnn Rimes bows out of the competition with her version of 'How Do I Live'. After capturing the No. 1 and No. 3 positions on the year-end recap of 1996 with Toni Braxton's 'Un-Break My Heart' and Celine Dion's 'Because You Loved Me', songwriter Diane Warren locked down the No. 2 song of 1997 with 'How Do I Live'. The song had been written for the film Con Air and was intended for LeAnn Rimes who was a rising star at the time. The producers of the film thought Rimes was too young to perform the song and went in a different direction: they asked Trisha Yearwood to record Warren's tune for the soundtrack. Yearwood's version (released on the same day!) went to country radio but a great song is a great song, and Curb Records founder Mike Curb was certain Rimes would have the biggest hit of her career with 'How Do I Live'. The battle was on. Yearwood triumphed on the country chart, peaking at No. 2. But Rimes tasted sweet victory on the Hot 100. She didn't get to No. 1 (kept from the top by Elton John whose 'Candle In The Wind' tribute to Princess Diana was too big for any artist to take on) but managed a No. 2 peak. More important, her single remained on the Hot 100 for 69 weeks, the longest run of any single in the history of the chart at the time. That allowed her to have the No. 2 song of 1997, as well as one of the Top 10 hits of the entire rock era, and the most successful No. 2 song in the history of the Hot 100. When the All Time chart was retabulated for the chart's 55th anniversary in 2013, it remained in the same position (No. 4), being the most successful single by a female artist in the list.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

2 Become 1 - Spice Girls

Honey - Mariah Carey

Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.

I Believe In You And Me - Whitney Houston

I'll Be Missing You - Puff Daddy & Faith Evans feat. 112

Mo Money Mo Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy & Mase

Together Again - Janet Jackson

Wannabe - Spice Girls

2 Become 1

Whitney, LOVE the song but I already made the mistake of letting you guys get rid of 1 of my fave Spice Legends song too early, not happening to 2 become 1 of their best.

question, because even I owned Spice Girls CDs back in the day, was they really the shit? I mean the songs were cute sometimes catchy, but when I think of acts that were great some of these boy bands and Spice Girls seem like flashes in the pan :unsure:

question, because even I owned Spice Girls CDs back in the day, was they really the shit? I mean the songs were cute sometimes catchy, but when I think of acts that were great some of these boy bands and Spice Girls seem like flashes in the pan :unsure:

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but mines is that they were, no they werent the most vocally talented girl group of their time (EV), and theiry dancing wasnt 1 of the best or anything brillian (TLC), BUT, they had IT, and they had a perfect combination of their perfect image and what talent they did have and their natural personalities and charisma and a great push with Simon Fuller, to make them larger than life and ultimately the biggest girl group of all time. I think they were MUCH better than their boy band peers honestly, they just had it all, they werent the best at them all, but they just made slamming music that both fit the times and some exceeds the time they were in and they were pretty damn original, theres been no group of 5 women exactly like them before or after them, or similar really, and no group who came after them that tried to duplicate what they did and how they did have had the same effect.

• Upvote 1