'90s Survivor: 1997 - Winner Announced!

TwistedElegance™

SG weren't the most talented or most profound group around, but they were a cute group with a fun image. They stuck to what they were good at and they did it well: catchy bubblegum pop music. :) ("Return of the Mack" was still the best UK export on the list tho -_- :P) And I also agree they were better than their American male counterparts BSB.

DkIOSrT.jpg

Writers: Sandy Linzer, David Wolfert

Producers: Mervyn Warren, Whitney Houston, David Foster

Label: Arista

Claiming eighth spot for 1997 is the incomparable Whitney Houston with another soundtrack hit, this time 'I Believe In You And Me' from The Preacher's Wife. Originally recorded by The Four Tops in 1983, the song was considered a misfire, failing to crack the US Top 40 and peaking at No. 40 on the Hot Black Singles chart. As she had so famously done with Dolly Parton's 'I Will Always Love You' and Chaka Khan's 'I'm Every Woman', Houston made the song her own, taking it to the Top 5 on the Hot 100 and racking up a Grammy nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. The song was another Top 10 debut for Houston, who crashed into the Hot 100 at No. 7, eventually peaking at No. 4. In the US the song served as the lead single from the soundtrack, while internationally it was released as the album's second single after the Annie Lennox-penned 'Step By Step'. As a result the song's success was confined pretty much to the US, with the UK the only other country crediting it with Top 40 status.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

2 Become 1 - Spice Girls

Honey - Mariah Carey

Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.

I'll Be Missing You - Puff Daddy & Faith Evans feat. 112

Mo Money Mo Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy & Mase

Together Again - Janet Jackson

Wannabe - Spice Girls

2 Become 1

(Sometimes I forget certain Whitney songs are covers. She really made them her own B))

Aint that the truth

I'll be missing you, 1 of (if not the) best song of Puffy's career, but...it's still a Puffy song, great producer (in the 90's) but shitty a shitty lead artist for the most part. Tis why Mo Money Mo Problems is better, he produced it and is only featured on it.

dD7RMLp.jpg

Writers: Spice Girls, Matt Rowe, Richard Stannard

Producers: Matt Rowe, Richard Stannard

Label: Virgin

Spice Girls surrender the first of their two Top 10 entries as '2 Become 1' exits the competition in seventh place. The first ballad released by the group was the third single lifted from their global smash, Spice, and was said to have stemmed from a romantic relationship between Geri Halliwell and co-writer Matt Rowe. It topped the UK Singles Chart for three weeks, becoming the group's third consecutive chart-topper, their second million-selling single, and their first Christmas number-one single in the United Kingdom. After writing more uptempo dance-based songs, such as 'Wannabe', the group and the two producers decided to write a slow ballad. But as the group was writing the song, they realised that it was a bit too slushy, so it was decided to address the importance of contraception with the lyrics: "Be a little bit wiser baby. Put it on, put it on". An international success, '2 Become 1' reached No. 4 on the Hot 100, whilst peaking at No. 2 in Australia, and No. 3 in Canada.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Honey - Mariah Carey

Hypnotize - The Notorious B.I.G.

I'll Be Missing You - Puff Daddy & Faith Evans feat. 112

Mo Money Mo Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy & Mase

Together Again - Janet Jackson

Wannabe - Spice Girls

Wannabe