The Houston Family Upset over the Made-For-Tv Whitney biopic put together by Angela Bassett & Lifetime

janetDAYZ

While Lifetime Network no doubt had good intentions when they announced they would be producing a Whitney Houston biopic, directed by none other than Houston's friend and acclaimed actress Angela Bassett, Houston's family has a lot to say about the idea. In short, they don't like it.

The Houston family is greatly upset that Whitney's life will be portrayed in a made-for-TV format as opposed to the big screen and have already expressed their disappointment to Lifetime. While the network has yet to comment, according to TMZ the Houston family is ready to sue if they don't cease production.

The family plans on producing a big screen film in the vein of Michael Jackson's "This Is It." Houston's sister-in-law Pat Houston had this to say:

"Whitney is certainly worthy of more than a television movie. If Whitney were here today, this would not be happening."

Source: TMZ

I'm lost with the, they wanna produce a film in the vein of "This Is It" ..um how? This Is It had a purpose and an audience become it was centered around his big comeback to the stage. So how would they produce something for Whitney that would be similar? :blink: what,juss footage of her? I don't get it.

Overreacting. If they want a big budget movie then go on and do it. There's no need to bitch about this one. The Houstons are beginning to annoy me just like some of the Jacksons. Angela and LMN would make a tasteful movie in her honor. What's wrong with having both movies? I don't think they asked the family for money, either, so what's reason for the complaint?

• Upvote 1

Well Reyna it would be kind of silly to have a tv biopic and then turn around and have a big screen one,imo. it would be overload. That would be like TLC now taking their story to the Big Screen, when everyone has already seen their story on VH1 last year. You kinda only get one shot to grab ppls attention for something like this.

Well Reyna it would be kind of silly to have a tv biopic and then turn around and have a big screen one,imo. it would be overload. That would be like TLC now taking their story to the Big Screen, when everyone has already seen their story on VH1 last year. You kinda only get one shot to grab ppls attention for something like this.

I know what you are saying but it could work if the movie was told from a broader spectrum (i.e

not only emphasizing part of her career/life).

There are tons of movies like this for a ton of other celebrities. Why not for Whitney? :umm: I mean if they both came out around the same time then you would have a point. I don't think that's the case here. Angela can have her small screen thing now, and when the Houstons get it together they can have a huge production. Most of the general public doesn't care for LMN anyway and not everyone wants to head to the theatres. This is a way to appeal to two different audiences.

I really think Whitney deserves better than a tv movie, lifetime movie at that.

If Richie Valens, Selena, Tina Turner, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Notorious BIG and others can get a movie on the big screen, then she should too.

There are a few good made for tv biopics, ie The Temptations and Jacksons, but I feel her story could do well on the big screen.

out of respect for the family and the enormity of who Whitney Houston was I would stop the movie....and she does deserve way better than some lifetime chop job, if it's about the coins make a damn good biopic motion picture, people can go to and pay for.