Zendaya chosen to Play Aaliyah in New Lifetime Original Movie underway

janetDAYZ

I seriously doubt they are gonna have magoo in the movie...they prolly won't even feature a ginuwine character. .. that's kinda up in the air. They prolly gonna focus more on Missy and Tim since that was more of her music team...but them showing her click? I'm not so sure

Casting Director Defends Picking Zendaya for the role

Facing fallout from her decision to cast rising star Zendaya Coleman as the beloved R&B singer Aaliyah, casting director Twinkie Byrd is standing by it.

Music lovers and Aaliyah fans were sent into a frenzy Tuesday afternoon when it was revealed that the Disney star had been cast to play the late singer in a Lifetime biopic, currently titled “Aaliyah: Princess of R&B.”

Many questioned her resemblance to the star, while others felt she might not be able to embody the essence and personality of the beloved singer. But others offered more positive critiques of the casting choice, noting that Coleman can sing, dance and act, key skills needed to ace the role of Aaliyah, who died in August 2001.

Speaking to TheYBF.com, Byrd said she thinks Coleman is extremely talented and is the perfect choice to play Aaliyah.

Byrd gave The YBF the following statement on her decision:

Zendaya embodies everything you want in a Actress to play Aaliyah. She is a Poised, Professional, STRONG Actress (studied at California Shakespeare Theater and American Conservatory Theater). A Triple Threat Actor, Singer Dancer. She LOVES AALIYAH and will do a Wonderful Job! She is of mixed ethnicity. Her name is Bantu (Zimbabwe) meaning "To Give Thanks".

Nobody's here for this girl playing Aaliyah. They can stick by it all they want but the general public is letting them know they're not having it lol

:lol:

Or the tweets where ppl been saying Magic Johnson's son is gonna play Missy and Timbaland :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lol:

Aaliyah's family members are furious about Lifetime's upcoming biopic starring Zendaya. 

Us Weekly reported earlier this week that the 17-year-old star has been as the tragic singer who died at the age of 22 in an August 2001 plane crash in the Bahamas but Aaliyah's uncle and former manager, Benny Hankerson, told TMZ that he will do everything he can to stop it. 

Mr Hankerson told the website that the family have not been contacted about the movie, will not allow Aaliyah's music to be used and have hired a lawyer to stop the biopic being made.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2661403/Aaliyahs-family-blast-plans-Lifetime-biopic-tragic-singer-Zendaya-lead-role-vow-stop-made.html#ixzz350HF9MI8

• Upvote 2

Aaliyah's family members are furious about Lifetime's upcoming biopic starring Zendaya. 

Us Weekly reported earlier this week that the 17-year-old star has been as the tragic singer who died at the age of 22 in an August 2001 plane crash in the Bahamas but Aaliyah's uncle and former manager, Benny Hankerson, told TMZ that he will do everything he can to stop it. 

Mr Hankerson told the website that the family have not been contacted about the movie, will not allow Aaliyah's music to be used and have hired a lawyer to stop the biopic being made.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2661403/Aaliyahs-family-blast-plans-Lifetime-biopic-tragic-singer-Zendaya-lead-role-vow-stop-made.html#ixzz350HF9MI8

That's because he wants his Vh1 biopic to be first.... a film Aaliyah's mother and brother are against also. 

What the hell :mellow:

Now, wait a minute.. the Twitter world is saying Hankerson is the one that planned the movie and that he was behind it getting made while Aaliyah's mom Diane and Rashad were against it.

Now Hankerson is actually not behind this at all? I swear social media be getting rumors and all kind of shit twisted.

How can lifetime do a movie without the families consent tho? :blink: this is the same thing goin on with the Whitney biopic. I guess legally they can do both movie despite the families not wanting it to happen. I wanna read up on the law when it cones to something like this cuz its interesting and surprising.

Now, wait a minute.. the Twitter world is saying Hankerson is the one that planned the movie and that he was behind it getting made while Aaliyah's mom Diane and Rashad were against it.

Now Hankerson is actually not behind this at all? I swear social media be getting rumors and all kind of shit twisted.

How can lifetime do a movie without the families consent tho? :blink: this is the same thing goin on with the Whitney biopic. I guess legally they can do both movie despite the families not wanting it to happen. I wanna read up on the law when it cones to something like this cuz its interesting and surprising.

Barry is doing a film with Vh1, which we know the Diane and Rashad are against.  I guess this Lifetime movie came out of nowhere and surprised even Barry.  lol

Actually, I don't think Rashad has said anything about the Lifetime movie yet. Barry is speaking for the "family".  

Barry is doing a film with Vh1, which we know the Diane and Rashad are against. I guess this Lifetime movie came out of nowhere and surprised even Barry. lol

Actually, I don't think Rashad has said anything about the Lifetime movie yet. Barry is speaking for the "family".

So its two different project?? I'm even more confused now :blink:

I thought his name was Barry..while this article called him Benny :umm:

But ppl on Twitter obviously think Diane and Rashad are against this lifetime movie cuz no one knows of the vh1 one..since there was never an official statement saying vh1 was doin one since its been rumored they would since she died. This is turning into a mess :mellow: too much goin on. Even for the Vh1 one, I still dnt see how Barry can.override Diane.. she birthed Aaliyah not Barry but then again Aaliyah was signed under Barry's label so businesswise he can consent to this? Hmmm..

I think it depends on who owns the rights to her music... If Aaliyah didn't own the rights to her songs then Lifetime can give the middle finger to her family..

After some digging, Dayzzzz, Reservoir Media Management currently owns the rights to Aaliyah's music (since 2012).. All while Craze Productions was selling Aaliyah's music on iTunes for profit (that's a lawsuit in itself).... while Blackground Records owns her image :unsure:

Her family has no say over her music.. So Lifetime can ignore the family's request

I don't think Lifetime will need permission to use her story or name in their movie since she's a celebrity and all

Damn... I didn't know that's how that kinda shit works. I understand business is business but damn it seems a lil insensitive to a family of the deceased. It's almost like saying to the family... Aaliyah belongs more to us, the public than you..but I figured Lifetime knew legally they could or they wouldn't have tried it wit the Haughton and Houston family

Damn... I didn't know that's how that kinda shit works. I understand business is business but damn it seems a lil insensitive to a family of the deceased. It's almost like saying to the family... Aaliyah belongs more to us, the public than you..but I figured Lifetime knew legally they could or they wouldn't have tried it wit the Haughton and Houston family

Well.. It's more like "Her music belongs to us"... not the person singing the song but the actual songs

It's business.. You don't make money off sensitivity.. Plus her family had no say in her music production/creation.. It's not their place to say where her music goes

Janet and her brother, whats-his-name, were business savvy.. They knew to keep the music in their names so they have control over where it goes and who can use it.

Well.. It's more like "Her music belongs to us"... not the person singing the song but the actual songs

It's business.. You don't make money off sensitivity.. Plus her family had no say in her music production/creation.. It's not their place to say where her music goes

Janet and her brother, whats-his-name, were business savvy.. They knew to keep the music in their names so they have control over where it goes and who can use it.

Actually it turns out her uncle who was also 1 of her producers made sure the family owned the rights of her music after she died, thus they can say so. According to TMZ live anyway

After some digging, Dayzzzz, Reservoir Media Management currently owns the rights to Aaliyah's music (since 2012).. All while Craze Productions was selling Aaliyah's music on iTunes for profit (that's a lawsuit in itself).... while Blackground Records owns her image :unsure:

Her family has no say over her music.. So Lifetime can ignore the family's request

I don't think Lifetime will need permission to use her story or name in their movie since she's a celebrity and all

Reservoir doesn't own it, more like they acquired the right to add the songs to the expanding list of music the represent/licence. I'm pretty sure Blackground (I.E Barry Hankerson), still has a major say in just how Aaliyah's music is used. 

Aaliyah fans have taken to the Internet in droves to express their disappointment with Zendaya Coleman being cast to play the late R&B starlb_icon1.png in Lifetime’s forthcoming biopic. Reasons for the widespread disapproval ranges from the 17-year-old actress not being seasoned enough to play someone as big as Aaliyah to her not being “Black enough” to represent Aaliyah. During a recent chat with Splash News, the former Disney star offered a response for her relentless critics.

“Well a lot of people say that I’m not black, but this gentleman is my father,” Zendaya said before putting her arm around her dadlb_icon1.png, who is African-American.

Zendaya, who is biracial, went on to argue that being half Black is still considered Black.

“Half Black is just enough. It doesn’t matter what color you are, it’s about how you portray the character.”

To prove her point, Zendaya then referenced Academy Award-nominated actress Angela Bassett and her memorable role as Tine Turner in “What’s Love Got To Do With It.”

“For those that don’t know, Angela Bassett and Tina Turner, they look nothing alike but she was that character so I think that’s what it’s all about.”

Zendaya’s dad, Kazembe Ajamu Coleman, also offered comment to critics who are concerned that she’s too light to play Aaliyah.

“And another thing, they’re shooting this in the summericon1.png. So Zendaya will be spending lots of time in the sun and she’ll be dark enough,” he joked.

- See more at: http://madamenoire.com/441131/not-black-enough-to-play-aaliyah/#sthash.9gVE4fMz.dpuf

Of course she's black enough. That's a stupid point to make, and irks me from one mixed girl to another. However, my problem is that she still looks so young(make-up might fix it but...), and hasn't done much acting outside of Disney.

• Upvote 2