Zendaya chosen to Play Aaliyah in New Lifetime Original Movie underway

janetDAYZ

Of course she's black enough. That's a stupid point to make, and irks me from one mixed girl to another. However, my problem is that she still looks so young(make-up might fix it but...), and hasn't done much acting outside of Disney.

EVERY WORD #TRUTH 

It's not "how it is" :blink: we have a black president!

Damn you dumb as fuck! :mellow: I said some blacks don't feel she's black enough to play the fuckin' role of Aaliyah and that's just "how it is". WTF does that have to do with Presidency? :wacko:

There's no such thing as "black enough". If you're black, your black..

The president is 50/50 just like this young actress... So by your/their standards, he's not black enough to be the first black president

There is no difference between Zendaya and President Obama in terms of blackness

Exactly. There's a good argument to be made for why she may not be the best choice without resorting to this bullshit. Black is black. This arbitrary mess about what qualifies as "black enough" should have been done with forever ago.

Zendaya does not look like Aaliyah at all and yes, her skin tone is definitely part of it. The debate isn't whether Zendaya is "black" it's does she look like Aaliyah.

people need to realize, she doesn't have to look like Aaliyah much like Will Smith doesn't look like Mohammad Ali or Jamie Foxx looks nothing like Ray Charles.. and Beyonce doesn't look like Etta James...

ettab.jpg

Game brings up a good point

64673_806914575999022_909598276099256932

But I still prefer them to at least TRY like Jamiee did look a bit like Ray and more importantly sounded exactly like him. Same with Will & Jen. They werent identical to who they played but they weren't exactly far off.

Zendaya's in that  Flex as Michael, Bey as Etta, Leon as Lil Richard, Zoe as Nina, Lindsay as Liz category tho. Just casue Mariah hasn't looked like a kid her whole career,at 14 she looked 16-18 to me. This chick has the face of a 12 year old, not hear for it. She's too young I couldn't buy her as 22yr old Aaliyah.

• Upvote 3

I didn't know the girl is like 5'10 :mellow: she doesn't look that tall at all. Aaliyah was a small woman..bout what 5'4?

But I can definitely see why the public is thrown off by this choice BUT it certainly isn't worth all this backlash. It is what it is. She got chosen and ppl need to juss move on and let it go. Nothing is gonna change.

• Upvote 1

There's no such thing as "black enough". If you're black, your black..

The president is 50/50 just like this young actress... So by your/their standards, he's not black enough to be the first black president

There is no difference between Zendaya and President Obama in terms of blackness

bitch you know what? I'm not goin' in circles again with the fuckin' president being black and a tall giraffe look-a-like trying to play Aaliyah. Is Barack tryin' to portray someone black in a damn movie? No so shut the fuck up dumb dumb. Acting and being president has nothing to do with each other. Keep the argument for yourself and have fun. Bye!!!

You should go for both. Zendaya looks nothing like Aaliyah and I don't recall her being nominated for any oscars.

the probem with biopics of famous female singers is some of these biopics are portraying artists that came into their primes during the video age of MTV, BET, and VH1, its very hard to separate the image of the artist from their music. The music video medium created big stars that were in part driven by image, Aaliyah was one of those people, as were many others. So when you portray someone with a face that well known, it's hard to hear the real music, and not notice the real thing isn't there. I think they did a good job with the TLC biopic and that actually made some waves, because them chicks looked like the real deal.....that we all remember from the videos

Zendaya does not look like Aaliyah at all and yes, her skin tone is definitely part of it. The debate isn't whether Zendaya is "black" it's does she look like Aaliyah.

Rochester nailed it. I'm shocked.  :mellow: lol

Without knowing her background a lot of people were upset because she does not look like Aaliyah... and her skin tone is definitely a part of it.

If you've never heard of someone, you're told they are going to play Aaliyah, and this is among the first images you're greeted with...

fyib8l.jpg

That's going to cause a problem. Many didn't even realize she was mixed until it was pointed out by Zendaya herself.

More than likely they would've put her in darker makeup to make it work. Which like Zoe Saldana portraying Nina Simone (a slightly similar situation, but entirely different) that's not going to sit well with many in the African American community. Too many it's like "you couldn't find anyone Aaliyah's complexion to portray her?  :unsure:  "

That's what many meant when they said she's not "black enough" lol

• Upvote 1

Rochester nailed it. I'm shocked.  :mellow: lol

Without knowing her background a lot of people were upset because she does not look like Aaliyah... and her skin tone is definitely a part of it.

If you've never heard of someone, you're told they are going to play Aaliyah, and this is among the first images you're greeted with...

fyib8l.jpg

That's going to cause a problem. Many didn't even realize she was mixed until it was pointed out by Zendaya herself.

More than likely they would've put her in darker makeup to make it work. Which like Zoe Saldana portraying Nina Simone (a slightly similar situation, but entirely different) that's not going to sit well with many in the African American community. Too many it's like "you couldn't find anyone Aaliyah's complexion to portray her?  :unsure:  "

That's what many meant when they said she's not "black enough" lol

Exactly and I didn't know her ass was mixed til y'all pointed it out in this thread. Some people like to play dumb as to not knowing what "We" mean when we say she's not "blac enough". Just cause you're mixed don't mean you're black enough

She doesn't look like Aaliyah period. She a pretty girl and her song "replay" was my jam. But she still doesn't resemble babygirl. It has nothing to do with her being biracial. Biracial people play back characters all the time and vice versa and its no problem. However, Hollywood has a history of thinking "we all look alike" when we don't. You can't do a biopic and just randomly pic any pretty girl to play the role. Plus the other girls who auditioned for the role looked way more like Aaliyah than Zendaya did.