Angela Bassett Addresses Not Casting Bobbi Kristina In Whitney Houston Biopic – “She’s Not An Actress”

janetDAYZ

Didn't she start off very sweet and church like :unsure:

Regardless... Still earned it for having the voice of God

Her image was "sweet" so them white folks would buy them albums but off stage she was a "sistah w an attitude" if you fuck wit her. She's from Jersey! You gone be a lil rough around the edges no matter how nice you may come off. "Sweet" isn't the word to use... She was moreso down to earth and friendly unless u got on her bad side. Like alot of black women.

I have news for you, Dear sweet Whitney wasn't a saint herself.

Tread lightly, sweetie.

Whitney may have indulged in the party life and may have been quick to get a bitch together when need be; but she was not disparaging of people in the least bit -- especially not calling legendary African-American actresses men.

Her image was "sweet" so them white folks would buy them albums but off stage she was a "sistah w an attitude" if you fuck wit her. She's from Jersey! You gone be a lil rough around the edges no matter how nice you may come off. "Sweet" isn't the word to use... She was moreso down to earth and friendly unless u got on her bad side. Like alot of black women.

Exactly. I love her and even stanned for her before Janet, but she was a thug. There is a reason her and Bobby 'clicked'.

EW:Is Bobby involved in the film? Has he given it his okay?

ANGELA: No. Bobby is not involved in the film. Of course, we’re very sensitive to whatever the relationships might be or what we have heard or what we perceive his relationship between her family and him. So we’re trying to be respectful.

EW: Speaking of relationships—do you consider yourself having been close to Whitney after Exhale?

ANGELA: No, I don’t. I can’t. I can’t say that, but I think that I had an opportunity, of course, to appreciate and love her from afar and then to spend time with her in a working situation. She shined in a room but didn’t suck up the energy. Some people suck up all the air and it’s all about them. They mistake their presence for the event. But she didn’t do that. She was there to work, to work hard, she was joyful, she laughed a lot, she played, she was easy to be around. You know, she was a delight.

EW: As a director, what type of research are you doing to prepare for this type of movie? Are you going through her personal items, or speaking to her family for research?

ANGELA:No, not through her items. A lot of our research is from interviews, from interviews that she has given and we’ve crafted it within the framework of her meeting Bobby and taking that relationship about four or five years forward. And of course, I did read her mother’s book.

All this right here has doesn't have me excited about the Lifetime movie....  The movie is basically everything we seen from interviews with maybe a little bit more into their (whitney & bobby) personal lives, and her brief time from working with her on Waiting to Exhale. 

I mean would you guys really be excited about a movie directed by Regina King made about Janet that was about her & Rene?  I mean, I of course would watch cuz  it's janet... but this sounds like CrazySexyCool movie. Which I enjoyed, but as stated in another thread, I think Whitney deserves more...

I'd like to see a movie with involvement from people she was closest to, and of course on a big screen.

EW:Do you want your movie to be the definitive Whitney Houston biopic? Would it bother you if her family members produced their own movie?

ANGELA:Not one bit. This is going to be the trailer to the movie they’re going to make. How can this be definitive? Her life, her stardom, was so massive. Nothing that’s never been seen or done before, her talent was so anointed and so galvanizing, like nothing ever heard before. She was like no one ever known before. She deserves to have this movie, and another movie, and everything and anything else.

I love she said this tho...