Zendaya drops out of the Aaliyah movie after the backlash

jarrylf

0629-zendaya-tmz-aliyah-getty-4.jpg

Disney channel star Zendaya Coleman has officially dropped out of Lifetime's planned biopic about Aaliyah ... on the heels of the deceased singer's family speaking out against the flick.

Zendaya's rep says she's no longer involved with the project ... and sources close to the production say a whole bunch of factors played a part including the negative reaction from Aaliyah's family.

For now, Lifetime says production has been put on hold.

As we previously reported, Aaliyah's uncle/former manager told us no one from the network contacted them before announcing the movie. They believe Aaliyah deserves big screen treatment.

So far, Lifetime hasn't said if they're gonna fill the role ... or cease production on the movie.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz364MMwOvE

Good, I had a feeling she would, I mean nobody was here for her, rightfully.

I'm sorry for some of the backlash she received since some of it was unwarranted. However, I am glad that she won't be playing Aaliyah. I still hope a movie goes forward just with a better, more experienced actress who also looks more mature.

0629-zendaya-tmz-aliyah-getty-4.jpg

Disney channel star Zendaya Coleman has officially dropped out of Lifetime's planned biopic about Aaliyah ... on the heels of the deceased singer's family speaking out against the flick.

Zendaya's rep says she's no longer involved with the project ... and sources close to the production say a whole bunch of factors played a part including the negative reaction from Aaliyah's family.

For now, Lifetime says production has been put on hold.

As we previously reported, Aaliyah's uncle/former manager told us no one from the network contacted them before announcing the movie. They believe Aaliyah deserves big screen treatment.

So far, Lifetime hasn't said if they're gonna fill the role ... or cease production on the movie.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz364MMwOvE

Good, I had a feeling she would, I mean nobody was here for her, rightfully.

I was here for her. I could care less about the movie now. Complexion obsessed folks ruined that for me.

I'm sorry for some of the backlash she received since some of it was unwarranted. However, I am glad that she won't be playing Aaliyah. I still hope a movie goes forward just with a better, more experienced actress who also looks more mature.

This, like that's gotta SUCK (But it did give her a chance to rise to the occassion and prove everyone wrong...but she's just a kid and that's alot on her sholders). I did hate the "not black enough" shit, my beef was "not old enough, and didn't look old enough", shit again Aaliyah @14 looked more like a women or at least older teen than her.

Shit everyones jumping on Zoe Saldana about playing Nina Simone and she's hispanic, but she completed it, and i hope she shuts it all down.

Tho I still thought Mary J. was perfect for that part.

The family will never be here for a movie tbh. That's the conclusion I drew when I had a conversation on Twitter with Rashad a few years ago. 

Her uncle told TMZ that they were working on their own script with their own directors producers and actors in mind.

Her uncle told TMZ that they were working on their own script with their own directors producers and actors in mind.

Her uncle was for the Drake/Aaliyah album too but her mum Diana wasn't.

Her uncle was for the Drake/Aaliyah album too but her mum Diana wasn't.

Yea I was thinking her uncle might be blowing smoke. But the good thing about now is they could get the right people and do their movie their way and for the big screen.