Do you feel like we've seen and heard all there is?

EphraimAdamz

I’ve noticed that we’ve stagnated in every area from fashion to music. If today were 1984 and I was looking at a photograph of New York City taken in let's say 1964… the people would looked completely foreign in ways :umm: .

It’s the same thing in 1994 looking at a picture of 1974. Even 2004 looking at 1984. But now, in 2014, if you look at photos of 1994 they’re maybe not exactly the same but those people would certainly fit in now.

And it’s the same with the music. The music from 1964 to 1984 is like night and day. 1974 to 1994 night and day. 1984 to 2004 night and day. But 1994 to 2014, it’s still electronic, rock, hip-hop and EDM. You don't see a huge change in the clothes or the music :blink: . We haven’t moved anywhere.

Why?

I think you're looking at things wrong

If you can't hear the difference in music from 1994 to 2014, I suggest you get your hearing checked

Same with fashion

this they can do so much more with sound and technology I can hear so much more going on in songs from the production end

I think what you should note, is that everything comes from some inspiration. Either it's things someone admired and thought were cool, or artists that get "imitated" so in the end is there nothing new under the sun? Some would argue, no, there's nothing new..... I can say major movies definitely lack anything new, hell we're remaking everything....they have another Terminator movie that's either done filming or close in New Orleans, with Arnold starring as a Terminator, his ass old as fuck :umm:

I’ve noticed that we’ve stagnated in every area from fashion to music. If today were 1984 and I was looking at a photograph of New York City taken in let's say 1964… the people would looked completely foreign in ways :umm: .

It’s the same thing in 1994 looking at a picture of 1974. Even 2004 looking at 1984. But now, in 2014, if you look at photos of 1994 they’re maybe not exactly the same but those people would certainly fit in now.

And it’s the same with the music. The music from 1964 to 1984 is like night and day. 1974 to 1994 night and day. 1984 to 2004 night and day. But 1994 to 2014, it’s still electronic, rock, hip-hop and EDM. You don't see a huge change in the clothes or the music :blink: . We haven’t moved anywhere.

Why?

Here's an even deeper answer to what you're really asking. Let's start with the creation of art and fashion, often times what we find people are moved by are the times they live in, during the 20th century we had the "fight the power" civil rights movement that brought with it fashion and certain music. In the 70's there was free love and disco, the times were more liberal and the fashion/music of that period reflected that. In more recent times, with the exception of the internet what has occurred that moved people to expression? Let's take your own time from from 1994-2014, during this time especially the booming Clinton 90's fashion and music reflected hope and change. Of course we move clock forward and in the 21st century what do we discover? Not a movement, not a cause to join up in arms over, BUT a fucked up economy, an economy so bad, it hasn't been this bad since the fucking depression, and to boot, it's at a world level now affecting markets across the planet. So people aren't innovating, or at least not at the level that our mass consumption society identifies with, hell I'm listening to Iggy Azalea, because she's top 10 -_- and there could be something I would like more out there, but I aint got time to find out, I got work to do. There's people working two jobs just to keep up with society today, I think we're less creative in times that bind us to being work horses and not thinkers.

• Upvote 1

another quick thought,  if you look at movies and television, I'm noticing more themes surrounding a post-apocalyptic world. If you think about some of the most popular franchises in film, you have "The Walking Dead" a very popular show that's about what? A world so fucked up why would anyone live in it? ....Next let's look at "The Hunger Games" record breaking movie here right? What's the "Hunger Games" about again? A world in the future that's fucked up. :filenails:

• Upvote 1

technology is exponential. music and fashion will follow accordingly as technique becomes more viable. have you seen how intricate laser cut fabric is? yamaha already has vocaloids that allow for natural synthesizd voices, no more need for a singer!  all your singers can very well be replaced by this:

Here's an even deeper answer to what you're really asking. Let's start with the creation of art and fashion, often times what we find people are moved by are the times they live in, during the 20th century we had the "fight the power" civil rights movement that brought with it fashion and certain music. In the 70's there was free love and disco, the times were more liberal and the fashion/music of that period reflected that. In more recent times, with the exception of the internet what has occurred that moved people to expression? Let's take your own time from from 1994-2014, during this time especially the booming Clinton 90's fashion and music reflected hope and change. Of course we move clock forward and in the 21st century what do we discover? Not a movement, not a cause to join up in arms over, BUT a fucked up economy, an economy so bad, it hasn't been this bad since the fucking depression, and to boot, it's at a world level now affecting markets across the planet. So people aren't innovating, or at least not at the level that our mass consumption society identifies with, hell I'm listening to Iggy Azalea, because she's top 10 -_- and there could be something I would like more out there, but I aint got time to find out, I got work to do. There's people working two jobs just to keep up with society today, I think we're less creative in times that bind us to being work horses and not thinkers.

Actually during times of economic struggle and political unrest is when the most extreme and exaggerated art/fashion/music come about as a reaction. There's a reason the 80s came back in a big way and it's because conditions in the country are similar.

There has definitely been innovation and things unique to our time, we're just still living it so it's hard to define and encapsulate it the way we can with past eras and decades.

No. There is music from around the world in different languages from different eras that I've yet to hear. 

That's cause cross cultural-ism is really the only way left to go. Where else can the US take it?

Incorporating asian, indian, african, ect themes in our music would be the next step. I think it's strange we still dont have an asian or indian pop star on the radio here yet.

That's cause cross cultural-ism is really the only way left to go. Where else can the US take it?

Incorporating asian, indian, african, ect themes in our music would be the next step. I think it's strange we still dont have an asian or indian pop star on the radio here yet.

The US has had artists of Asian descent that have had success currently or in the past like Norah Jones, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj, Jhene Aiko, Melanie Fiona, Tyga, Cassie etc. Yes, they are mixed, but it's still representation. 

We've had that before in this amazing bop 

diddy-bop-o.gif

The US has had artists of Asian descent that have had success currently or in the past like Norah Jones, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj, Jhene Aiko, Melanie Fiona, Tyga, Cassie etc. Yes, they are mixed, but it's still representation. 

Ehhh reaching

No Asian-American can cross over into the pop world..

If someone of Asian descent does cross over into American pop music it will probably a female.  Asian Males are under-represented.  Shit, even Jet Li couldn't get the girl in his own fucking movies.  Who do we have?  John Cho and Glen on walking dead who's surprisingly still alive.

• Upvote 2

If someone of Asian descent does cross over into American pop music it will probably a female.  Asian Males are under-represented.  Shit, even Jet Li couldn't get the girl in his own fucking movies.  Who do we have?  John Cho and Glen on walking dead who's surprisingly still alive.

She would have to be mixed... but outside the acting industry, I don't see that happening in the States..

Is there any Europeans Asian pop stars?

Americans don't like as pop stars :unsure:

So even though Bruno Mars has a Filipino mother, we can't consider him Asian? Yet we can call Obama black when his mother is white? :/

And Jessica Sanchez is Mexican & Filipino. So she doesn't count I guess...

So even though Bruno Mars has a Filipino mother, we can't consider him Asian? Yet we can call Obama black when his mother is white? :/

And Jessica Sanchez is Mexican & Filipino. So she doesn't count I guess...

Bruno is still American though... And the general public doesn't know what his nationality is.. I've heard late night jokes about Bruno's races

Jessica Sanchez is irrelevant.. The second place is the first loser on an irrelevant pop television show.. No one buys music from 90% American Idol contestants