'Shake It Off' - Taylor Swift

TwistedElegance™

I can't get over how bad this song is. I'm disappointed in it so much. I get she's having fun but still.This is bad even for Max Martin and he's a legend. I thought it would be a grower but even the 4th listen is just as bad. Despite this I'm still looking forward to the album especially the song Imogen Heap co-wrote.

• Upvote 1

Here comes the backlash!

Taylor Swift: 'Shake It Off' video attacked by Earl Sweatshirt for 'perpetuating black stereotypes'

Taylor Swift dismisses the haters on her new single ‘Shake It Off’ but she’s facing a new wave of backlash over the song’s video clip.

Directed by Mark Romanek, the video features Swift dancing alongside twerking women and breakdancers drawing comparisons with Lily Allen’s controversial ‘Hard Out Here’ clip. However while Allen attempted to offer a critique of the casual misogyny of Top 40 pop and hip-hop, Swift’s song is a personal “I don’t care what you think of me” anthem. Basically she doesn’t give a damn what the tabloids and critics say – she’s having too much fun just doing her own thing.

However Odd Future rapper Earl Sweatshirt has firmly placed himself in opposition to Team Swift taking to Twitter to attack the video as “inherently offensive and ultimately harmful”. Earl says that he hasn’t watched the clip, but it’s obvious that Swift is “perpetuating black stereotypes to the same demographic of white girls who hide their prejudice by proclaiming their love of the culture.”

Producer A-Trak also tweeted, "You know what this Taylor Swift video is missing? Some nice graffiti by Bieber. Let's be urban, everyone! Yay, cupcakes."

‘Shake It Off’ is the lead single from Swift’s new record 1989 and was co-written by Swift and Swedish pop wizards Max Martin and Shellback.

• 2 weeks later...