'80s Survivor: 1980 (Vote now for the winner!)

TwistedElegance™

So we have a three-way tie between Master Blaster, Upside Down and Hungry Heart. The first person to correctly identify this piece of 1980 trivia has the deciding vote.

In January of 1980, which Beatle was arrested in Tokyo for marijuana possession?

I believe it was Paul

I vote off Master Blaster

F2bOMQ4.jpg

Stevie Wonder

"Master Blaster (Jammin')"

Hotter Than July (Tamla/Motown)

Writer(s): Stevie Wonder

Producer(s): Stevie Wonder

Hot 100 Peak: 5

Claiming eighth spot for 1980 is Master Blaster (Jammin') by the incomparable Stevie Wonder. Released as the lead single from Wonder's nineteenth studio album, the reggae-tinged Hotter Than July, Master Blaster was written in honour of Bob Marley after the two met and performed at Philadelphia's Black Music Association in 1979. The song and its parent album signalled a return to form for Wonder after the commercial disappointment of his previous album, the overambitious Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants. Master Blaster ruled the R&B Singles Chart for seven weeks in the last quarter of 1980, becoming the longest-running No. 1 on the tally for that year. Internationally the track reached No. 2 in the UK and No. 7 in Australia. In 2007 Billboard ranked Master Blaster No. 16 on their list of The Top 30 Songs of Stevie Wonder.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) - Pink Floyd
Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen
I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross
Rock With You - Michael Jackson
Send One Your Love - Stevie Wonder
Upside Down - Diana Ross

nFxyZlB.jpg

Bruce Springsteen

"Hungry Heart"

The River (Columbia)

Writer(s): Bruce Springsteen

Producer(s): Jon Landau, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Van Zandt

Hot 100 Peak: 5

Exiting the competition in seventh spot for 1980 is Bruce Springsteen's Hungry Heart. The first big solo hit for The Boss, Hungry Heart was the lead single from his No. 1 fifth album, The River. After meeting Joey Ramone in New Jersey, the punk rocker asked him to pen a song for The Ramones. Springsteen wrote Hungry Heart that night, but decided to keep it for himself on the advice of his producer and manager, Jon Landau. Previously, Springsteen compositions like Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light and Patti Smith's Because The Night had been given away and become hits and Landau preferred the trend not continue. A moderate success in the UK, it initially peaked at No. 44 upon release, however charted at a more respectable 28 when reissued in conjunction with Springsteen's Greatest Hits in 1995. The track has appeared in several movies, most notably '80s classic Risky Business, as well as the 2000 film The Perfect Storm, and most recently in zombie romcom Warm Bodies. Rock legend has it that on the day of his murder, John Lennon praised Hungry Heart, calling it a "great record" and comparing it to his own (Just Like) Starting Over.

Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) - Pink Floyd
Upside Down - Diana Ross

• Upvote 1

Yay. New players! :lol:

Yes, likeminded players :P

Yea I didn't mean to be away from the game for so long, just didn't recognize most of the top 40, so I let you guys do the dirty work of narrowing it down, but I was supposed to especially chime in on the top 20 lol. :lol:

Get used to that throught most of the top 40's :asham:

• Upvote 1

emXeEAk.jpg

Pink Floyd

"Another Brick In The Wall (Part II)"

The Wall (Harvest/EMI)

Writer(s): Roger Waters

Producer(s): Bob Ezrin, David Gilmour, James Guthrie, Roger Waters

Hot 100 Peak: 1

Touching down at No. 6 is the anthemic Pink Floyd gem, Another Brick In The Wall (Part II). The song was written by Roger Waters about his views on formal education, which were framed during his time at the Cambridgeshire School for Boys. He hated his grammar school teachers and felt they were more interested in keeping the kids quiet than teaching them. The wall refers to the wall Waters built around himself because he wasn't in touch with reality. The bricks in the wall were the events in his life which propelled him to build this proverbial wall around him, and his school teacher was another brick in the wall. Waters told Mojo, December 2009, that the song is meant to be satirical. He explained: "You couldn't find anybody in the world more pro-education than me. But the education I went through in boys' grammar school in the '50s was very controlling and demanded rebellion. The teachers were weak and therefore easy targets. The song is meant to be a rebellion against errant government, against people who have power over you, who are wrong. Then it absolutely demanded that you rebel against that." The chorus came from a school in Islington, England, and was chosen because it was close to the studio. It was made up of 23 kids between the ages of 13 and 15. They were overdubbed 12 times, making it sound like there were many more kids. The addition of the choir convinced Waters that the song would come together. He told Rolling Stone: "It suddenly made it sort of great." The Disco beat was suggested by their producer, Bob Ezrin, who was a fan of the group Chic. This was completely unexpected from Pink Floyd, who specialized in making records you were supposed to listen to, not dance to. He got the idea for the beat when he was in New York and heard something Nile Rodgers was doing. A number one on both sides of the Atlantic, Another Brick In The Wall Part II also topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand, France, Germany, Ireland, Canada and more.

Welcome to the Top 5! Songs remaining (in alphabetical order):

Upside Down - Diana Ross

• Upvote 1

And NOW it's a full fledged competition to me lol, I love all 5 of these......it's between Diana being upside down or coming out..............I JUST DON'T KNOW!

I'll vote coming out only because the best part of that song to me is the intro up to the chorus , after that I lose interest kinda, love it tho, great solid song but I love Upside Down from beginning to end much more undeniably.