Rumor Mill: Martin Returning to TV, Tisha Campbell Replaced with Ashanti

jarrylf

martin-ashanti-620x400.jpg

As Fox continues to suffer from poor ratings, the network has once again agreed to reload one of it’s classic series.

The action packed “24” starring Kiefer Sutherland returned this year and now the network has reached an agreement with Martin Lawrence to return his insanely popular comedy series “Martin.”

The series, which originally ran for 5 seasons (1992-1997), is considered one of the best black television comedies off all-time. From 1996 – 1997, Martin, New York Undercover, and Living Single were the top rated shows among black audiences.

The show starred Martin Lawrence (Martin Payne), Tisha Campbell-Martin (Gina Waters) , Thomas Mikal Ford (Tommy Strawn) , Tichina Arnold (Pamela James), and Carl Anthony Payne II (Cole Brown). The entire cast has agreed to return with the exception of Tisha Campbell-Martin, who has been replaced by popular R&B singer/actress Ashanti.

In 1996, Campbell-Martin filed a lawsuit against Martin Lawrence alleging he sexually harassed her. HBO Studios settled the case for an undisclosed amount and Campbell-Martin agreed to finish the final season of the show, but refused to appear in any scenes with Lawrence. The fallout between the two stars is what led to FOX pulling the plug on the series.

Ashanti recently spoke about playing the role of Gina Waters saying, “Like many people, I grew up watching Martin and it was probably my favorite TV show ever. I know it will be difficult for many people to see me as Gina, but I hope I bring a new dynamic to the role. I see it no differently than when Aunt Viv was replaced on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. At first the audience was not feeling the character change, but she eventually won them over. I am hoping I can do the same thing.”

Production for the show is underway and it will return to television in the fall of 2015.

http://www.thenewsnerd.com/entertainment/martin-tv-show-returning-to-fox/

________________________________________________________________________________

...................................Im gonna need this to stay a rumor because Im not checkin for Ashanti as a Tisha replacement in anything, acting, singing, dancing, she can't sit with Tisha for shit. I just dont see this being true, I think the only way for it to work if it were to come back, Tisha would have to be apart of it too.

Cause nobody's checkin for any of their projects that's not Martin, think about it, the only 2 who found legit post Martin acting success after that show Tisha with My Wife & Kids and Tichina with Everybody hates Chrs. And even after those shows ended in terms of acting their careers haven't been bragable really. And Martin.....lets not even. It'd be a real interesting thing to see how they'd all update and see if the magic is still there with all of them together.

• Upvote 1

Cause nobody's checkin for any of their projects that's not Martin, think about it, the only 2 who found legit post Martin acting success after that show Tisha with My Wife & Kids and Tichina with Everybody hates Chrs. And even after those shows ended in terms of acting their careers haven't been bragable really. And Martin.....lets not even. It'd be a real interesting thing to see how they'd all update and see if the magic is still there with all of them together.

I agree with most of that, but I have my doubts they could recreate what was so funny about "Martin" in the 21st century....I mean what do they do an updated version? :unsure: is Martin even funny anymore? and the reason the show left was because of the Gina role issue, which is guess what....still an issue :filenails: