Happy 30th Anniversary Dream Street

jarrylf

Wonder if Billboard will do an article about this  :shifty:  >_<

30 Years ago today Janet released her 2nd and least successful album Dreamstreet. The era gave us her 1st music video for the title track, and gave her 2nd R&B top 10 single with Don't Stand Another Chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAFhdHOm39A

I do wonder had there been no Dream Street, could there have really been a Control? I wonder because Jesse Johnson (A close friend, partner & protege of The Time for those who don't know) wrote & produced 2 songs (Pretty Boy & Fast Girls), and I wonder if he played a part of bringing Jimmy & Terry in the picture, it also should be noted both songs were B-Sides for Control singles (Pretty Boy - When I Think Of You, Control & Let's Wait A While.  Fast Girls - Control & The Pleasure Principle) but no other Dream Street song was, so personally I do think Johnson had a role in getting Janet to Jimmy & Terry

• Upvote 1

YAS, exactly, it's easily her most un-appreciated album in the discog, but it played a role in her getting where she is. It also should be noted it's actually the 1st album she was excited about doing or actually wanted to do. And the failure of this album is what also pushed her to try harder, like it's interesting hearing from people around her at that time like James DeBarge on her Driven Special that she took the flopping of this album hard.

I feel bad for the 1st 2 eras, the ball was dropped SO heavily on them in my opinion, no I don't think they should've sold anywhere near Control, but I do think they should've/could've been more along the lines of Rebbie's 1st 2 albums in sales. BUT I guess they had to flop majorly for Janet &/or the label to kick it up several notches.

..............................................................................................................................................And I like it more than Discipline :ph34r:

Happy anniversary! ^_^ I agree Dream Street was an important stepping stone. "Don't Stand Another Chance" is an underrated jam; I always felt it hinted at her creative potential. And the title track certainly represents where she was and where she was going at that point.
  • Upvote 1

I agree completely, I just did a lil skim through of all the DS era songs, and what's interesting is, theres songs where she adapted the toughness of the Control sound like Don't Stand, Fast Girls, Rock & Roll, & All My Love To You. Where's that 1st album really had no tough songs or sounds besides maybe Don't Mess Up This Good Thing, Young Love & the instrumental of Come Give Your Love To Me.