So .. it seems she's back on track..

janetDAYZ

...as far as being a "touring act" again. I agree with Bailey, the interest seems to be there and her fanbase seems to be "back". This tour is doing very good as far as ticket sells and sell outs. Thinking back to Rock Tour...things was looking to be on the decline cus it wasn't going so well and eventually ended up canceling the whole thing.

What do you think is different this time? Did the last arena tour not go well due to lil promo? Was her reputation still tarnished due to SB? Did going on her #1s tour help build her fanbase back up? Are is it simply because there's a void in the industry that only someone like Janet can fill?

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 2

The promo for "discipline" era wasn't aimed at her older fans or the older general public either. And Feedback was the only pop hit. "No Sleeep" was a calculated move that reminded me of Sade "soldier of love:" a release aimed at the grown crowd that younger kids might still listen to. She still has some positive heat from the Number Ones tour. Add to that people who were kids during VR and AFY can actually afford to pay to see a legend themselves now. And maybe take mommy or daddy who liked her earlier.

• Upvote 3

Just from the way she's approached this era, there seems to be a stronger focus from her that I think was missing from the past couple of eras. There were bungled dates and appearances and I think it shook up some of the fans' confidence in her. She hasn't even done an interview yet for this era/movement, and she seems to have it more together. 

• Upvote 1

Going away for so long helped imo. It made people miss her. I don't think MJ's death quite had that much to do with it because she released music after that bombed and it bombed - and she actually promoted that too. This new music is really connecting with her older fans and they've come back whereas the last two albums were probably more catered towards the younger crowd (which may have alienated her core fanebase). She got a lot more positive press when that Powell dude admitted they overreacted. I noticed the tide changed after that.

Plus, she seems to be enjoying it more and really into it this time.

• Upvote 3

a few thoughts, and Ive thought about it. I think the disappearing act she pulled worked, whether intentional or not, people, including us, hadn't seen a single photo of Janet let alone a peep from her. She gave us the mystery for sure, because we didnt know whether or when she was coming back to music.

I am inclined to say, that the SB took place so far ago that its as if Janet is where she would be had it not happen, if one takes into account her age and the demographics of music.

Janet herself has, as mentioned here, increased her focus and stepped her game up. Some of what Janet needed was better music, but record company issues and failed promo didnt help, and those arent her fault. Now she's doing things in a very calculated way. I still dont understand the iheartradio pull out though, they promoted the shit outta that using Janet's name, and Im sure no one made a mistake with her schedule and concerts, so Im waiting to hear that one.

Janet's team seems to be very much ahead of the ball and not behind it, instead of reacting, they are very much pulling the strings, lots of positive press, and reviews are solid. I remember when music critics would review her stuff seemingly having not listened to it and yet sore it all sucked.

It does say something Janet knocked off on all the sex, I believe at one point she did it just to say Im going to do me regardless, missing the point that it was really over done. -_-

Janet, like many other veteran acts, is a great entertainer with a huge catalog. So while some acts were always song birds, read Mariah :rolleyes: Janet was and is perfect for touring and entertaining, she puts on one hell of a show. I also think being a bit more in your face about who she is and less humble helps, it reminds folks, "they must have forgotten who I am" I admit, hearing some of the things that are coming out of Janet's mouth makes me proud, she needed to clap back a little, "my family has been in this business for over 50 years!"  tell it then !

Edited by Bailey

theres really no one like Janet, she's probably one of the last icons that came from the 80s and survived, and despite a huge down fall, she somehow navigated coming back, she hadnt really left, I still remind myself she last toured 4 years ago not that long ago. Janet's place in music history is unique, as a Black woman, who made many heads turn, sold millions and millions of records, yet after doing that for 20 years, the public seemed ready to write her off. I recall the list of the top 10 female entertainers in earnings Forbes, and everyone on that list is still active and has a fan base of support, Janet's name was the odd ball like how do we catergorize her now in terms of her place alongside Barbs and Madonna? Im glad shes back to remind us she belongs there in the first place

• Upvote 1

...as far as being a "touring act" again. I agree with Bailey, the interest seems to be there and her fanbase seems to be "back". This tour is doing very good as far as ticket sells and sell outs. Thinking back to Rock Tour...things was looking to be on the decline cus it wasn't going so well and eventually ended up canceling the whole thing.

What do you think is different this time? Did the last arena tour not go well due to lil promo? Was her reputation still tarnished due to SB? Did going on her #1s tour help build her fanbase back up? Are is it simply because there's a void in the industry that only someone like Janet can fill?

So you didn't believe the vertigo story? I actually did :lol:

I don't think SB had any impact on her RWU tour. #1s tour did well with smaller venues and got positive press too.

People have simply missed her. And the fact she came back sounding like the Janet we know rather than some newbie got the backsliders on board again and the media on her side. Dieshards will be here regardless

So you didn't believe the vertigo story? I actually did :lol:

I don't think SB had any impact on her RWU tour. #1s tour did well with smaller venues and got positive press too.

People have simply missed her. And the fact she came back sounding like the Janet we know rather than some newbie got the backsliders on board again and the media on her side. Dieshards will be here regardless

Bish didn't have vertigo.. Ticket sales were meh

I'm not sure why the RWU tour was so meh? Perhaps the album it was supporting or the production value.. The meh tour name? Who knows

i love how mature Janet is now. It feels like a new era.. Compared to the last 2

Bish didn't have vertigo.. Ticket sales were meh

I'm not sure why the RWU tour was so meh? Perhaps the album it was supporting or the production value.. The meh tour name? Who knows

i love how mature Janet is now. It feels like a new era.. Compared to the last 2

to me, RWU seems like her best tour in terms of setlist and visually....at least through Youtube.

Edited by vibeology

to me, RWU seems like her best tour in terms of setlist and visually....at least through Youtube.

The setlist was good... But I like the current one the most. She brought back a lot of good songs she didn't perform on AFY tour (or any tour).. TPP, the early shit. But it was tacky with the costumes. I think this tour is visually better than RWU based on YouTube.

This is probably the first tour she hasn't sung Runaway 

Edited by The Game Forever

You have to remember that before the internet when Janet was gone in between albums which sometimes would last anywhere between 2-3 years people didn't say she was missing or disappeared. It's just a new age when people are so quick to yell bloody murder for anything. I remember back then we would have to rely on magazines to see a picture of Janet and her whereabouts between albums and that alone would make us go apeshit with excitement.  The internet has ruined the simplest of pleasures I swear!  Everything is about instant gratification. Calm down. 

• Upvote 4

Yes. Visually...RWY tour was amazing, it exceeded my expectations. I left the arena ranking it above all her other tours  . It was the most props and pyros she's ever used for a tour and i LOVEEEEEEE shit like that. But like mentioned the ONLY downside was the costumes were my least fav of all her tours but RWU is my fav Janet tour til this day. This new one is looking to be amazing too ..so i will see on Oct 27th where imma rank it

Edited by janetDAYZ

Really? :o I loved the tour but i hated most of the visuals :lol: TVR tour is where its at :wub: 

I lack of promo she is giving the album is something else. Im glad she is able to sell out arenas without doing much noise but if amazon's tea about Burn It Up being the new single is real then i hope she goes and does huge promo. I need that to get a top 20 at least :wub: 

I need to believe she had vertigo for my sanity. I wanted to see that your so bad. She canceled the Greensboro show I had floor seats to, and it was supposed to be her first night back after being sick. :tear:. Needless to say, I clutched my tour book all the way back to SC and got stupid drunk that night.

• Upvote 1

Yes. Visually...RWY tour was amazing, it exceeded my expectations. I left the arena ranking it above all her other tours  . It was the most props and pyros she's ever used for a tour and i LOVEEEEEEE shit like that. But like mentioned the ONLY downside was the costumes were my least fav of all her tours but RWU is my fav Janet tour til this day. This new one is looking to be amazing too ..so i will see on Oct 27th where imma rank it

She took risks with the tour costumes...bitch had a fucking Mohawk and a shiny metallic catsuit! I love that the looks were so daring though not for everyone.

Edited by vibeology
  • Upvote 1

She took risks with the tour costumes...bitch had a fucking Mohawk and a shiny metallic catsuit! I love that the looks were so daring though no for everyone.

my date was the ONLY one where she didnt have a mohawk. She had the "You" ponytail minus the red highlight :lol:

Edited by janetDAYZ

I need to believe she had vertigo for my sanity. I wanted to see that your so bad. She canceled the Greensboro show I had floor seats to, and it was supposed to be her first night back after being sick. :tear:. Needless to say, I clutched my tour book all the way back to SC and got stupid drunk that night.

Yes!!! I had tickets for Philadelphia...I was on vacation and having a shitty time...but the show getting cancelled was the icing on nasty ass cake. I was devastated :tear:

Edited by vibeology

Really? :o I loved the tour but i hated most of the visuals :lol: TVR tour is where its at :wub: 

I lack of promo she is giving the album is something else. Im glad she is able to sell out arenas without doing much noise but if amazon's tea about Burn It Up being the new single is real then i hope she goes and does huge promo. I need that to get a top 20 at least :wub: 

As Dayz said ...I don't remember her using pyros and props like that ever...what was there not to like?!