OFFICIAL STATE OF THE WORLD TOUR THREAD

jarrylf

You're missing what we are saying. If Janet doesn't perform non singles from the current album she is supporting at that time...then 9 chances out of 10 she will not do it on future tours. Infact the LA TIMES article that interviewed Gil even says how HE was the one that basically was telling Janet to stop with her cliche medley's cus it's predictable to her audience. He said they FINALLY got through to her to switch it up and add songs that ppl wouldn't expect. If it wasn't for Gil, Janet would not be performing Island Life,TBTLY,etc. The Rock Tour was the ONLY tour aside from this where she stepped outside of her setlist formula because it was a tour for the diehard fans. 

I knew what y'all were saying but my pettiness kicked in and i'm glad you brought up the Rock Witchu tour cause that was my next go to :lol: 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Rock Tour was the ONLY tour aside from this where she stepped outside of her setlist formula because it was a tour for the diehard fans. 

All the songs she sang during the RockWitchu Tour were singles (aside from tracks from the supporting album) 

Edited by State of the Game
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think y’all were referring to Say You Do, Young Love, and Don’t Stand Another Chance? 

All three were singles :lol: 

Young Love sold 200k stateside as the first single from her self-titled album and was Janet’s first R&B top ten hit. It also peaked at #63 on the Hot 100 and top 20 in New Zealand

Say You Do was the third single and peaked at #15 on the R&B charts

Don’t Stand a Chance was the first single from her second album “Dream Street”.  It also landed Janet her second R&B hit (#9) 

• Upvote 1

Well with the Rock Tour example I was speaking more about that being the first time she performed songs that she had never done live .. Say You Do, Another Chance, FHTF, she brought back "You Want This" which she hadn't done since janet.Tour. That tour just marked the first time she had any kind of shakeup of the usual setlist.

Check out @HeSnob26’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/HeSnob26/status/918640716594675712?s=09

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 2

Well with the Rock Tour example I was speaking more about that being the first time she performed songs that she had never done live .. Say You Do, Another Chance, FHTF, she brought back "You Want This" which she hadn't done since janet.Tour. That tour just marked the first time she had any kind of shakeup of the usual setlist.

I thought we were talking nonsingles from previous albums? All of the songs you mentioned were singles. This is the first time she’s performed non-singles from previous albums on tour. 

She’s performed most of those songs live (not on tour since her first tour was Rhythm Nation)  

But she has performed YWT in her last three tours (Rockwithu, #1s, Unbreakable)... it’s not like New Agenda or 24Play or What About, or Spending Time With You, WAYN, TBTLY

I thought we were talking nonsingles from previous albums? All of the songs you mentioned were singles. This is the first time she’s performed non-singles from previous albums on tour. 

She’s performed most of those songs live (not on tour since her first tour was Rhythm Nation)  

But she has performed YWT in her last three tours (Rockwithu, #1s, Unbreakable)... it’s not like New Agenda or 24Play or What About, or Spending Time With You, WAYN, TBTLY

I kinda raised TWO points relating to this subject lol 

I know Gil had been trying to get her to come out that shell. There's a lot of things she's done on this tour that has made it one of her best tours. She's never been so direct as her opening is - it's actually chilling when you watch it. The sound bites are direct and epic. Her performing nonsingles FINALLY gives that mystique to her shows that I've always talked about - 

nearly EVERY fan wants to see her explore her catalog. Gil knows that. His pulse with the fans is solid & this might be his best creative direction so far IMO. Fans fall in love with your catalog not just your singles. Matter of fact, less with singles. This tour shows her versatility musically & it also reminds people she's been more than a sex symbol. It's the most successful pull off of "classic me with a modern twist" this is what it was always supposed to look like. It's very purposeful that she's leaned into her most nostalgic & iconic look. 

• Upvote 5

Well, Number Ones she performed When We Oooh once. lol

But yeah, I love the non singles or at least songs she hasn't performed before or in such a long time on the setlist. It's a good look. Hell I want her to add I Want You, Every Time, China Love, Lessons Learned, Tonight's The Night, My Baby, Enjoy (idk why she ignores this). But I'm happy with what she is giving on this tour tho. Never thought I see her perform any of those songs.

• Upvote 1

I know Gil had been trying to get her to come out that shell. There's a lot of things she's done on this tour that has made it one of her best tours. She's never been so direct as her opening is - it's actually chilling when you watch it. The sound bites are direct and epic. Her performing nonsingles FINALLY gives that mystique to her shows that I've always talked about - 

nearly EVERY fan wants to see her explore her catalog. Gil knows that. His pulse with the fans is solid & this might be his best creative direction so far IMO. Fans fall in love with your catalog not just your singles. Matter of fact, less with singles. This tour shows her versatility musically & it also reminds people she's been more than a sex symbol. It's the most successful pull off of "classic me with a modern twist" this is what it was always supposed to look like. It's very purposeful that she's leaned into her most nostalgic & iconic look. 

I love that. As i've said before I think Gil is doing a good job this time around as the creative director. I'm wondering if Janet will ever perform "Again" again? I know her voice has changed so i'm wondering if she can't hit the notes she used to especially the long note at the end.

• Upvote 1

I love that. As i've said before I think Gil is doing a good job this time around as the creative director. I'm wondering if Janet will ever perform "Again" again? I know her voice has changed so i'm wondering if she can't hit the notes she used to especially the long note at the end.

nah I don't think that has anything to do with her voice we were just all kinda tired of it being the go to ballad. It's been out for 24 years and it's the first time she hasn't performed it. I'm seriously cool with that. 

• Upvote 4

nah I don't think that has anything to do with her voice we were just all kinda tired of it being the go to ballad. It's been out for 24 years and it's the first time she hasn't performed it. I'm seriously cool with that. 

I'm cool with it too. I loved the montage she did for the song this tour instead of singing it

• Upvote 2

This is one time I actually PRAISE GIL for his input to get Janet to switch up her show with different song selections. THANK YOU GIL!!!!!!!

don't forget David Jones the musical director, I'm sure he had a lot of input into what would work well.

• Upvote 1

don't forget David Jones the musical director, I'm sure he had a lot of input into what would work well.

Well yeah... Gil did say "we finally got through to Janet" but I think it was initially Gil's idea to change it up based on him saying to Janet "your audience knows what songs you're gonna group together,girl " lol

Edited by janetDAYZ
  • Upvote 2

I figured Gil didn't do it on his own but at least he made her switch it up. Now that she's performed 1 of 4 of my dream songs if she did "Feels So Right", "Lonely" or "SloLove" i'd lose my shit:wub:

• Upvote 2

Chile this lady is going to strip clubs -_- and some people really think we are dealing with the same woman back in 2015. 

the brotha up front with the bandana on is queening out in his head trying to be all smooth with it.

lol and yeah Janet is definitely back to being herself now that she's away from Pissam. I wonder what made her drop in? Nevermind I forget that Magic Mike is in Vegas and she has a show there tonight

I just checked on ticketmaster and she has plenty of tickets available. I don't think she should've continued with the show tonight but maybe she didn't wanna postpone and people talk shit thinking she's gonna start cutting off shows like she did last time.