Toni & Jan (possibly?) Considered a Duet, Braxton Says in New Interview

J.

Wait...I have just re-read the quote and it makes it sound more than it was. The first sentence makes it sound like there was something in the works and the last sentence makes it sound like it was just her people brainstorming ideas.

41 minutes ago, Amy said:

Wait...I have just re-read the quote and it makes it sound more than it was. The first sentence makes it sound like there was something in the works and the last sentence makes it sound like it was just her people brainstorming ideas.

Yeah I’m leaning more towards her team just brainstorming. I doubt her and Janet even talked, but it’s still interesting.

Female duets rarely work well unless there is a distinct contrast between the two like Janet and Missy. There are some exceptions, Mariah and Whitney, Brandy and Monica but for the most part it doesn’t work. That is the reason why there are so many male/female duets because there is a natural vocal contrast. I guess it is also the reason why there aren’t many girl band duos out there, if it did work Beyoncé and Kelly could have gone it alone and wouldn’t have had to replace people.

3 hours ago, Amy said:

Female duets rarely work well unless there is a distinct contrast between the two like Janet and Missy. There are some exceptions, Mariah and Whitney, Brandy and Monica but for the most part it doesn’t work. That is the reason why there are so many male/female duets because there is a natural vocal contrast. I guess it is also the reason why there aren’t many girl band duos out there, if it did work Beyoncé and Kelly could have gone it alone and wouldn’t have had to replace people.

Rappers who collaborate with singers don’t count in your analysis btw but you are 100% right

Janet & Missy collaboration literally only worked one out of the three times tho tbh

Burn it Up was good when it came out, but died out quick for me, personally I liked Janet & Missy on The 1 & on Son of a Gun. 

Game gets off on hating on Missy for whatever very unnecessary & personal reason but I'd like to see Janet expand her duet list. Toni & Janet would not have worked vocally together, not because of it being 90s nostalgia depending on the artist that actually could work. - but I'd love to see Janet expand. With who I'm not sure yet.

But even aside from the Toni and Janet thing not working... in the rest of that interview Toni spoke of her and Mariah were gonna duet cus at one point back in the day Mariah had reached out to her to collab on a song but bad timing cus Toni went bankrupt and that's why she couldn't do it...but I could not imagine them to sounding good together either. Toni's voice/tone is juss far too unique to juss place her with anyone on a song. I think the only person she would sound good with is Brandy cus of Brandy's deep, raspy tone. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...