The Other News Thread

Mr. Wonder

3.) Janet Jackson, “When I Think Of You (LNTG Rework)”

The grand return of the iconic Janet Jackson to the pop scene has never been more needed than now.

But, while we patiently wait for Janet — Miss Jackson, if you’re nasty — to take to the throne again, there are still plenty of reminders of her genius back catalog popping up all around. Take, for instance, this Late Nite Tuff Guy rework of the 1986 Control classic, “When I Think Of You.”

The subtle reworking manages to completely retain the essence of the original dance-pop jam, while pumping it up with some additional disco-friendly bells and whistles that keep the song sounding just as fresh today.

http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2014/01/21/boa-salt-ashes-janet-jackson/

mFeF8j.gif

And this is why Beyonce stans will never amount to shit when they realize that Janet>Beyonce. It's not up for debate. And several reviews have brought up Janet. or TVR album in regards to Beyonce's album.

I wonder why the Beyonce stans cling on to this notion that Beyonce is the end of all end of black female popstars. It's gonna be interesting to see where she goes in her 30's.

But she's 36 :umm::shifty:

• Upvote 1

I wonder why the Beyonce stans cling on to this notion that Beyonce is the end of all end of black female popstars. It's gonna be interesting to see where she goes in her 30's.

All stans do that for their fave. That's why they're stans. Today's girls stans have no....reasoning because sadly they didn't live in the 80s/90s/early00s to watch what slayage actually is.

All stans do that for their fave. That's why they're stans. Today's girls stans have no....reasoning because sadly they didn't live in the 80s/90s/early00s to watch what slayage actually is.

That's why they need to do their research before they run off at the mouth.

And this is why Beyonce stans will never amount to shit when they realize that Janet>Beyonce. It's not up for debate. And several reviews have brought up Janet. or TVR album in regards to Beyonce's album.

Because she's "it", now. She's the standard Janet and Whitney were in the 80s/90s, or Diana-Donna-Aretha in the 60s/70s. History is just repeating itself. In 10-15 years, they'll be another chick that's doing what has already been done by the aforementioned women. I think some of them get caught up in the commercial success and recognition she's receiving, and has received in the past. I think they think that's what makes her a legend. She has worked really hard and has done a lot in such a short amount of time, that it IS commendable. She has her hands in a lot, and been successful in quite a few areas, and this is why I believe she'll go down as a legendary "act", rather than a legendary "artist". As I look at her career and compare it to those who came before her, there's a lot of holes in her career, and she's kinda behind, musically speaking. If you look at the albums some of the artists had put out by the time they were her age, you can see what I mean. For instance, Marvin had What's Going On?, Stevie had Talking Book, etc. She's just behind and her evolution as an artist is incredibly slow. The prognosis for her right now is something to look forward to, but I don't expect some grand revival.

• Upvote 2

Because she's "it", now. She's the standard Janet and Whitney were in the 80s/90s, or Diana-Donna-Aretha in the 60s/70s. History is just repeating itself. In 10-15 years, they'll be another chick that's doing what has already been done by the aforementioned women. I think some of them get caught up in the commercial success and recognition she's receiving, and has received in the past. I think they think that's what makes her a legend. She has worked really hard and has done a lot in such a short amount of time, that it IS commendable. She has her hands in a lot, and been successful in quite a few areas, and this is why I believe she'll go down as a legendary "act", rather than a legendary "artist". As I look at her career and compare it to those who came before her, there's a lot of holes in her career, and she's kinda behind, musically speaking. If you look at the albums some of the artists had put out by the time they were her age, you can see what I mean. For instance, Marvin had What's Going On?, Stevie had Talking Book, etc. She's just behind and her evolution as an artist is incredibly slow. The prognosis for her right now is something to look forward to, but I don't expect some grand revival.

she ain't got long before she's 40. Her time to Evolve as an artist has passed

Great point. It's just a little disconcerting when they measure commercial success instead of proper impact on music and pop culture. I know alot of girls/gays look up to Beyonce..but I'm still not convinced about her impact on music(as an artform).

Great point. It's just a little disconcerting when they measure commercial success instead of proper impact on music and pop culture. I know alot of girls/gays look up to Beyonce..but I'm still not convinced about her impact on music(as an artform).

That's because it's minimal. Her approach to songs rhythmically rather than melodically is something that resurfaced in the late 90s is something she and DC could be credited for. As for her solo career, there really isn't much to write gone about. The argument could be made that she's really bringing that hardcore R&B/Hip-Hop to the international market. "Drunk In Love" is doing better than the pop single. She's not really setting any noticeable musical trends, but she is in her own lane sonically which I think will be instrumental in shaping R&B music somewhere down the road. She's five albums in and is still somewhat behind.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The chewing gum business is losing its pop

It popped up in pop culture too. In the 1960s, a genre of music aimed at younger audiences came to be known as “Bubblegum.” In the 1975 movie “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” the silent Chief Bromden speaks for the first time saying, “Mmm, Juicy Fruit,” after the character played by Jack Nicholson gives him a stick of the gum. And Janet Jackson played a feisty, gum-chewing beautician in the 1993 film “Poetic Justice.”

http://www.paradisepost.com/news/ci_25391262/chewing-gum-business-is-losing-its-pop

• 2 weeks later...

Transgender names herself after Janet Jackson

533d9747d7c76.image.jpg

She began the evening by recounting her coming-out story.

“I announced to my family that I would only answer to Janet — to ‘she’ and ‘her’ pronouns,” she said.

The new name was adopted from the iconic Janet Jackson.

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/article_06fe3f34-bace-11e3-9b14-0017a43b2370.html

The seven ballsiest celebrity publicity stunts Hollywood has seen

THE internet has been going berserk with the news that James Franco has attempted to hook up with a teenager on Instagram.

Shady? Perhaps. But we’re not convinced. It’s a tad too similar to the plot of his upcoming movie, Palo Alto, in which his character seduces a 14-year-old high school student. The conversation with the girl also allegedly took place on April 1, the same date a new Palo Alto trailer dropped.

Here are 10 of the ballsiest publicity stunts we remember:

Janet Jackson’s Nipplegate:

Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake’s 2004 Superbowl performance caused half of America to have a meltdown, and the other half to hit the pause button. Janet’s “wardrobe malfunction” resulted in no less than 500,000 complaints but luckily, she remembered to adorn her nipple with an oversized star that day. Oh, and she also had a brand new album to plug. Coincidence?

Unfortunately for Janet, the bold move seemed to backfire on her album sales, while JT’s popularity soared.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/the-seven-ballsiest-celebrity-publicity-stunts-hollywood-has-seen/story-fn907478-1226874804306

Essence Fest Dream Team: Sevyn Streeter

We continue our celebration of 20 years of ESSENCE Festival by giving up-and-coming singer/songwriter Sevyn Streeter the opportunity to answer this question: What legendary artist would you tribute on the Essence Fest stage and what artists would you ask to join you?

"I would tribute Janet [Jackson]. I love her! On stage with me I would want Ciara. There aren't really a lot of females that could do a really good Janet cover. On an awards showing a couple years ago, Mya did a hell of a tribute to Janet and it was incredible so I'd have to have her. I was trying to pick all females but I'm going to pick a guy. I'd gotta say my brother Chris [brown.] I know he would do her justice."

Is this a tribute you would like to see?

We unveil a new Essence Fest Dream Team every Wednesday, so check back each week to see who your favorite artists consider worthy of a tribute on the Mainstage

http://www.essence.com/2014/04/02/essence-fest-dream-team-sevyn-streeter/

• 2 weeks later...

Khia mentions Janet...

Ultimately, though, Khia was pleased with neither her Trick Daddy collaboration, 2004’s “J.O.D.D.,” nor her Janet Jackson collaboration, “So Excited."

“When it came down for cross promotion, [Trick Daddy] did me the same Janet Jackson did me, and didn't have me in the video. They edited me out for the video. We shot for two days and all of the stuff ended up getting edited out because they didn't want to share the spotlight. If you call me to be featured on the song, I think we should cross-promote and be able to perform together. So keep your shit [and] don't call me.

"I pretty much had to sue Janet Jackson,” Khia continues. "I have it in my contract now that I will be a part of cross-promotion, even if it's just a song. I handled the situation with Janet. It just taught me to have everything written in contracts."

http://www.hiphopdx....ore-he-changed-