BREAKING: SOTW Tour Back On this Summer; “New” Promo Pix

1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

she was uninvitedNo. I know she would not garner any hits from 2004-2008 bc of the poor choice and quality of the singles. With or without radio. She had a STRONG promo for those albums and got zero results due to poor music quality and over promoting terrible singles (S.Ex, All Night) 

The media didn’t mistreat her. Just Viacom. Everyone else was pleasantly nice to her.., giving her magazine covers, movies, opening for award shows, talk shows, and closing pointless talent shows

Answering

a question with a question is meh. Answer my question: why can’t you admit that Janet released bleh sex music between 2004-2010 which directly hurt the fan base

PS: the general public ignored her for 10 years before giving her an “appreciation” day which was overshadowed by the Super Bowl ?? They definitely weren’t paying attention like I was during Janet’s dark ages of music

Fact: She was was uninvited period to do something that meant alot to her (from her words) and meant alot to Luther (which she said)

:lmao:  How are you stepping all over your own argument like this. Her promo being "strong" is actually more of a fan bias, we were the ones looking at and looking for every appearance & performance, most mainstream artist that are that seen have radio right there with them to back up what their promoting, she didn't, and she wouldn't have no matter the quality or choices.  Radio wasn't like "Oh she released Just A Little While....OK lets ban her from mainstream radio for like 4 years based off of this" That's not at all how that works, and I don't get how you keep dancing around that

Soo MTV was playing all her videos. pop radio was giving all her songs a shot and they only didn't hit because radio didn't like them......sure.

Because you want me to agree with your opinion and not facts, everything in that sentence is pure opinion. From where I sit the common consensus of the base is and always has been, it's some of her worst work but it wasn't at all or by far the worst albums of the years, and honestly too the music hasn't divided the base more than her years away and her actions & choices when she came back. :coffee:

Yea because in todays day & age a women being mistreated is big news especially when a  ALM touting douche got special treatment....until he didn't, and the superbowl got overshadowed by the fact that Justin sucks and that Janet would've been better and her treatment sucked

1 hour ago, jarrylf said:

Fact: She was was uninvited period to do something that meant alot to her (from her words) and meant alot to Luther (which she said)

:lmao:  How are you stepping all over your own argument like this. Her promo being "strong" is actually more of a fan bias, we were the ones looking at and looking for every appearance & performance, most mainstream artist that are that seen have radio right there with them to back up what their promoting, she didn't, and she wouldn't have no matter the quality or choices.  Radio wasn't like "Oh she released Just A Little While....OK lets ban her from mainstream radio for like 4 years based off of this" That's not at all how that works, and I don't get how you keep dancing around that

Soo MTV was playing all her videos. pop radio was giving all her songs a shot and they only didn't hit because radio didn't like them......sure.

it's some of her worst work 

Yea because in todays day & age a women being mistreated is big news especially when a  ALM touting douche got special treatment....until he didn't, and the superbowl got overshadowed by the fact that Justin sucks and that Janet would've been better and her treatment sucked

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Her promo tour was VERY strong. Every nonCBS tv station from Morning to night: Ellen, Oprah, SNL, Ryan Seacrest, American Idol, GMA, AMA, BET, Silver Screen, Will & Grace... countless of magazines. Larry King Live. Millions of the GP watched... millions. She had opportunity to push her singles but fell flat bc they were terrible. iTunes was growing strong by 2006.. (until it peaked in 2012 w/ $4 billion and has been on a decline ever since)

JALW leaked, radio played it then Viacom banned her. That’s how it worked. 

MTV hasn’t played a music video in how long? Viacom owns MTV btw so mentioning them defeats your argument. Also music video spins didn’t matter 

No one liked the singles except fans. No ones favorite song is So Excited or COM or JALW, etc... if it is then they clearly cannot be trusted

I’m glad you can admit that. Bravo

Switching gears back to JT again I see :yawn: You gonna blame him for her failures? The Super Bowl didn’t get overshadowed. It was him trending that night.. whether good or bad 

1 hour ago, State of the Game said:

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Her promo tour was VERY strong. Every nonCBS tv station from Morning to night: Ellen, Oprah, SNL, Ryan Seacrest, American Idol, GMA, AMA, BET, Silver Screen, Will & Grace... countless of magazines. Larry King Live. Millions of the GP watched... millions. She had opportunity to push her singles but fell flat bc they were terrible. iTunes was growing strong by 2006.. (until it peaked in 2012 w/ $4 billion and has been on a decline ever since)

JALW leaked, radio played it then Viacom banned her. That’s how it worked. 

MTV hasn’t played a music video in how long? Viacom owns MTV btw so mentioning them defeats your argument. Also music video spins didn’t matter 

No one liked the singles except fans. No ones favorite song is So Excited or COM or JALW, etc... if it is then they clearly cannot be trusted

I’m glad you can admit that. Bravo

Switching gears back to JT again I see :yawn: You gonna blame him for her failures? The Super Bowl didn’t get overshadowed. It was him trending that night.. whether good or bad 

:lmao: yea push her singles onto where? All those things you listed equals sponsorship and endorsements and radio spins? When did TV in the 00's equate to hits or sales, it's not like today where they had to lower the bar to all these things to have chart impact, that wasn't happening those days

Sooo your answer now is that MTV wasn't playing music videos at all during those years? :lmao:  And thanks for co-signing on my above post but still she it's just an example of the ban in place, TV appearances were cute, but videos played daily, it mattered for promo back then

Again, your opinion, from what I've seen most of the GP thought they were OK at least, nothing special, but the harshest things I've heard about that music comes from the fans actually, most of the GP wasn't aware and didn't feel strongly 1 way or another

I wish you can admit that better music wasn't gonna fix a damn thing about her treatment...but I'll wait

Nah not switching gears, laying the facts out, you brought up this years Superbowl, and his failure was noted everywhere and she was brought up into it all.  No need to get into his part in it it's been addressed, you're the only one that denies's it. But point is, her treatment was apart of every discussion about the Superbowl,  his failure, and the halftime period for months. :coffee:

51 minutes ago, jarrylf said:

:lmao: yea push her singles onto where? All those things you listed equals sponsorship and endorsements and radio spins? When did TV in the 00's equate to hits or sales, it's not like today where they had to lower the bar to all these things to have chart impact, that wasn't happening those days

Sooo your answer now is that MTV wasn't playing music videos at all during those years? :lmao:  And thanks for co-signing on my above post but still she it's just an example of the ban in place, TV appearances were cute, but videos played daily, it mattered for promo back then

Again, your opinion, from what I've seen most of the GP thought they were OK at least, nothing special, but the harshest things I've heard about that music comes from the fans actually, most of the GP wasn't aware and didn't feel strongly 1 way or another

I wish you can admit that better music wasn't gonna fix a damn thing about her treatment...but I'll wait

Nah not switching gears, laying the facts out, you brought up this years Superbowl, and his failure was noted everywhere and she was brought up into it all.  No need to get into his part in it it's been addressed, you're the only one that denies's it. But point is, her treatment was apart of every discussion about the Superbowl,  his failure, and the halftime period for months. :coffee:

Pushed her singles to reach an audience. I’m not sure what you aren’t getting. She went on these promo tours to promote her project except the music was in bad taste

Let’s get something straight about MTV. According to experts & fans, their reality television shows overtook music videos in the late 90s, early 2000s (ratings). There were more reality tv played then than music videos... Music videos were making the jump online moreso than tv programming during 2004-2008. Sooo Janet wouldn’t have benefited much from music videos then especially bc the music was meh

There’s no poll of the general public to base your opinion on. Let’s look at the critics who dismissed Janet’s efforts as “meh”

CBS could ban her but they cannot take away her talent, charisma, beauty, and music. Janet had full control of her sound. I’m not saying “if Janet released good music, Viacom would stop the ban”... I’m saying “if Janet released good music during her darkest hour, those albums would have been better... her legacy would not be tarnished” Viacom was not a good reason to release So Excited (a song about sex despite Janet hyping it to mean something else.. something Janet did a lot during that time... flip her music to mean something it didnt)

Sad we had to have an appreciation day and it being overshadowed on the day of the biggest televised event... ??‍♂️

40 minutes ago, State of the Game said:

Pushed her singles to reach an audience. I’m not sure what you aren’t getting. She went on these promo tours to promote her project except the music was in bad taste

Let’s get something straight about MTV. According to experts & fans, their reality television shows overtook music videos in the late 90s, early 2000s (ratings). There were more reality tv played then than music videos... Music videos were making the jump online moreso than tv programming during 2004-2008. Sooo Janet wouldn’t have benefited much from music videos then especially bc the music was meh

There’s no poll of the general public to base your opinion on. Let’s look at the critics who dismissed Janet’s efforts as “meh”

CBS could ban her but they cannot take away her talent, charisma, beauty, and music. Janet had full control of her sound. I’m not saying “if Janet released good music, Viacom would stop the ban”... I’m saying “if Janet released good music during her darkest hour, those albums would have been better... her legacy would not be tarnished” Viacom was not a good reason to release So Excited (a song about sex despite Janet hyping it to mean something else.. something Janet did a lot during that time... flip her music to mean something it didnt)

Sad we had to have an appreciation day and it being overshadowed on the day of the biggest televised event... ??‍♂️

Again more opinion, it was the only thing she could do to promote these albums and singles be more available to the public, its why her sales at that time though flops compared to her catalog weren't exactly disastrous based on the limitations.

MTV & TRL were still a vehicle that every mainstream artist was promoting on throughout those times, the dip in ratings and reality takeover happened in a more obvious way more so around Discipline, before that it still was a tool to help promote singles.

Yup, mixed reviews not polarizing negatives that's only found in the fanbase. There's no GP polls but there are articles about the worse releases of the years and I don't recall Janet making any lists, which even if she did, it's still not enough for radio to just halt all support.

But if you think she's all those things you said, how can it be seen that it's so easy to tarnish as just the mediocre music 

In the long run it literally was talked about just as much which is more of a win for her.

4 hours ago, Amy said:

LiveNation are offering $20 tickets to a variety of shows including Janet. Not sure whereabouts or how good the seats are.

It'a package deal they have several small and big acts participating in ...I read about this too, I mean for outdoor shows which most of them are that could be cool

32 minutes ago, jarrylf said:

Again more opinion, it was the only thing she could do to promote these albums and singles be more available to the public, its why her sales at that time though flops compared to her catalog weren't exactly disastrous based on the limitations.

MTV & TRL were still a vehicle that every mainstream artist was promoting on throughout those times, the dip in ratings and reality takeover happened in a more obvious way more so around Discipline, before that it still was a tool to help promote singles.

Yup, mixed reviews not polarizing negatives that's only found in the fanbase. There's no GP polls but there are articles about the worse releases of the years and I don't recall Janet making any lists, which even if she did, it's still not enough for radio to just halt all support.

But if you think she's all those things you said, how can it be seen that it's so easy to tarnish as just the mediocre music 

In the long run it literally was talked about just as much which is more of a win for her.

??‍♂️ Fake based on critics reviews.. not sales. Album sales were tanking at the time due to “illegal” downloads. 

They were vehicles.. outdated vehicles and MTV was pouring money out of them and into realty tv (where they were hit their rating goals) 

The worst reviews by critics. Radio and other artists are irrelevant to her “mixed” reviewer albums

Bad music is bad music. 2004-2008 will be forever ignored in her history much like 1982-1984. As far as her music history goes.. her last solid album was AFY then Unbreakable

17 hours ago, State of the Game said:

Reading is fundamental 

IT IS NOT ABOUT SALES (to you it is)

What else could she have sang about? Maybe her mistreatment. Or her current life like she did between 1986-2001 as you unnecessarily broke them down for no one. 

One word: Unbreakable >> an entire album with barely any over sexual songs... produced by her best producers. Classic Janet. No shit producers, no JD.. songs written by Janet and not for Michael. Critical acclaim. Best album since AFY for a reason

She was just releasing music to do it between 2004-2010

yeah reading is fundamental so you should know she went through things with "Unbreakable" so don't even compare. Who said it's about sales other than you? What I said remains fact. Nobody stopped buying Janet's music cause it was all about sex. Hell the "janet." album sold 20 million and that was almost all about sex and love. Also she said she was over the Superbowl and didn't wanna talk about it again so why would she sing about it?

2 hours ago, oxmo said:

Did you guys saw the video she just post on Instagram ? Isn’t it a trailer for the netflix stuff ? 

????

There was a behind the scenes of the open auditions that aired on HBO last night.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

yeah reading is fundamental so you should know she went through things with "Unbreakable" so don't even compare. Who said it's about sales other than you? What I said remains fact. Nobody stopped buying Janet's music cause it was all about sex. Hell the "janet." album sold 20 million and that was almost all about sex and love. Also she said she was over the Superbowl and didn't wanna talk about it again so why would she sing about it?

To quote you “she would have sold more if she wasn’t banned” <<< THIS IS NOT ABOUT SALES

She went through three terrible albums to finally, a baker’s dozen of shit writers and producers to create her best album since 2001. How? By using the same formula she used between 86-01

“what I said remains facts” = “believe me” 

Once again, this isn’t about sales. So it doesn’t matter how much an album sold in 1993

Speaking of which, yes... that album is about sex & love... awesome! But then she did it again with Damita Jo ??

Writing about the Super Bowl is better than talking about sex and people would have been interested in hearing it. Opportunity missed in 2006

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, State of the Game said:

Speaking of which, yes... that album is about sex & love... awesome! But then she did it again with Damita Jo ??

Writing about the Super Bowl is better than talking about sex and people would have been interested in hearing it. Opportunity missed in 2006

I agree 1000%

• Upvote 3

On 5/1/2018 at 4:18 AM, State of the Game said:

To quote you “she would have sold more if she wasn’t banned” <<< THIS IS NOT ABOUT SALES

She went through three terrible albums to finally, a baker’s dozen of shit writers and producers to create her best album since 2001. How? By using the same formula she used between 86-01

“what I said remains facts” = “believe me” 

Once again, this isn’t about sales. So it doesn’t matter how much an album sold in 1993

Writing about the Super Bowl is better than talking about sex and people would have been interested in hearing it. Opportunity missed in 2006

You can quote me all you want because what I said is fact. If she wasn't banned she would've sold more just like any other artist. DUH. Still doesn't mean it's all about sales. Let's say she wrote an album like "Unbreakable" back in 2004-2006 it still wouldn't of had an impact because no one would hear it due to her being banned. Now do you get it? Yes writing about it is better than talking about sex but like she said she wasn't gonna talk about it again so anybody thinking otherwise was just dreaming.

• Upvote 1

It would be cool to see her again, but my thing is if its the same show, I would be paying to travel and other expenses for what Ive already seen locally making it my 15th time seeing her live, I'm a diehard but for my coin, Im gonna need something new

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

You can quote me all you want because what I said is fact. If she wasn't banned she would've sold more just like any other artist. DUH. Still doesn't mean it's all about sales. Let's say she wrote an album like "Unbreakable" back in 2004-2006 it still wouldn't of had an impact because no one would hear it due to her being banned. Now do you get it? Yes writing about it is better than talking about it but like she said she wasn't gonna talk about it again so anybody thinking otherwise was just dreaming.

This. Is. Not. About. Sales. 

She couldn’t write an album like Unbreakable. 

I’m not here for hypotheticals

So she never performed on national tv between 2004-2008? Idk if you can remember but her promo tour was amazing 

Her loss

9 hours ago, Bailey. said:

It would be cool to see her again, but my thing is if its the same show, I would be paying to travel and other expenses for what Ive already seen locally making it my 15th time seeing her live, I'm a diehard but for my coin, Im gonna need something new

Agree 100%, for my coins, I'm gonna need something new and not just a new black bodysuit.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 7:04 AM, State of the Game said:

This. Is. Not. About. Sales. 

She couldn’t write an album like Unbreakable. 

I’m not here for hypotheticals

So she never performed on national tv between 2004-2008? Idk if you can remember but her promo tour was amazing 

Her loss

that sounds so dumb. If she couldn't write an album like unbreakable and she said she was done talking about the superbowl then what in the hell did you expect the woman to write about. She gave you Control, Rhythm Nation, and The Velvet Rope. Sounds to me you had a pipe dream that didn't work out. I will agree she should've toured right after the Superbowl.. That was one of the the dumbest mistakes in her entire career and i'm sure she's seen it now that touring after the Superbowl is guaranteed tour success.

1 hour ago, JoeJoe said:

that sounds so dumb. If she couldn't write an album like unbreakable and she said she was done talking about the superbowl then what in the hell did you expect the woman to write about. She gave you Control, Rhythm Nation, and The Velvet Rope. Sounds to me you had a pipe dream that didn't work out. I will agree she should've toured right after the Superbowl.. That was one of the the dumbest mistakes in her entire career and i'm sure she's seen it now that touring after the Superbowl is guaranteed tour success.

She literally couldn’t write Unbreakable in 2004 bc she wasn’t feeling that same way. That’s the thing about Janet. She writes about things that are happening in her life at that moment (or the past) 

She chose to be done with the Super Bowl. She chose not to write about it. Imo she made the wrong choice. 

She could have wrote songs about what’s going on in her life and not wash away songs about fucking JD ??‍♂️

On 5/3/2018 at 12:46 AM, Bailey. said:

Amazing that this is how I felt about the State of The World Tour.  After having seen the Unbreakable Tour in 2015 (my first ever time to see her live), I was just confused that she chose to tour on what essentially seems like a album cut from nearly 30 year old Rhythm Nation.  

Then when Jimmy gave his interview to Kelly Alexander, and spilled some tea on the new tour, I was even more skeptical.  If I remember correctly, he said something like this... 

"For people that saw the Unbreakable Tour, they'll enjoy all the new stuff from this tour.  For those that missed Unbreakable, they're not going to feel like they're missing anything."  

I heard Jimmy Jam say this, and was like "Umm... that's not possible.  How the heck can you promise people that SOTW is going to be all that and more.  

But as we all know, and what I for sure knew being part of that inaugural audience in Louisiana, I was FLOORED because Jimmy was freaking right.  They changed it up, kept literally the best elements of Unbreakable, but remixed it to where it felt like a different freaking show.  

IMO a better show, and one, that if repeated, I'd be willing to see again with no changes.  But we have to ask ourselves... why would she hold open call auditions for dancers if there aren't going to be any changes?  Getting a new (I'm assuming expanded) crew of dancers together means that some new stuff is on the horizon.  And it's likely to drop while Ms. Jackson is on tour.  

So for me, Lessons Learned.  Janet is going to deliver some kind of twist on this tour.  I'm quite confident that's it's worth paying for.