Janet Announces Untitled EP Coming This Fall

9 minutes ago, DarkStormSC said:

Why is everyone so bothered by it being an EP? We’re getting more Janet. And if it’s 5-8 songs that are as good or better than M4N, I’m happy. Janet obviously cares about rebuilding her international fan base and taking the tour there and preparing for a possible RRHoF induction. We just got a full, classic album in 2015 with only 2 videos and a shortened tour. We’re likely getting more visuals and promotion from her this go round with a tighter focus on her already legendary catalog and some new cross-platform bops.

True but let’s just wait to hear it from “her lips” until then. ??

I remember Janet saying that at some point she wanted to just release songs here and there and the way these charts are set up I don't blame her. I'm not bothered by an EP at all...alot of artist are doing them but some choose to call them full albums (a certain somebody helped release 4 of them last June). An EP would also give Janet a chance to experiment with sounds and judging by the interview Harmony did with Billboard that sounds like something that can possibly happen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LawdToday said:

No credits for them tho so LOL

Ok? They don’t need credit. They’re not Beyoncé. They don’t steal the credit for making minor tune ups 

She comes in and hears it and loves the record, her and her brother Randy love the record. She makes the changes and does all the things that make it her, fit her. She's very unique and has her own vibe and sound. We go to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to cut the record. They were another set of icons. Legendary people. All of them in one room? That's all too much. Then we cut the record, she loved it and she'd been preparing to put it out for a while. It's been an experience. I'm excited about her EP too that's coming out, because we've got other records that are just as good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

I remember Janet saying that at some point she wanted to just release songs here and there and the way these charts are set up I don't blame her. I'm not bothered by an EP at all...alot of artist are doing them but some choose to call them full albums (a certain somebody helped release 4 of them last June). An EP would also give Janet a chance to experiment with sounds and judging by the interview Harmony did with Billboard that sounds like something that can possibly happen.

All flops and/or not on any radar.. and Kanye is a tool 

7 hours ago, Game For Now said:

Ok? They don’t need credit. They’re not Beyoncé. They don’t steal the credit for making minor tune ups 

She comes in and hears it and loves the record, her and her brother Randy love the record. She makes the changes and does all the things that make it her, fit her. She's very unique and has her own vibe and sound. We go to Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to cut the record. They were another set of icons. Legendary people. All of them in one room? That's all too much. Then we cut the record, she loved it and she'd been preparing to put it out for a while. It's been an experience. I'm excited about her EP too that's coming out, because we've got other records that are just as good.

Ya know Normandy you’re not my fav by any means but I gotta call it like I see it and you summed it all up rather nicely and I agreed wit it.  Good shit.. have a good weekend 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

Something still doesn’t add up though! “Unbreakable” got virtually NO promo throughout that era besides the tour and now Janet’s new team is doing all this strategic international promo for...for...only an E.P!?! ??????

Something’s not adding up here! ?

Janet keeps calling this a “project” and she’s always used that word to describe her albums/eras etc. Not to mention, there’s apparently ALOT more to come in terms of singles and videos, so unless she’s putting out the rumored documentary on Netflix, releasing videos for EVERY song on the LP, doing more unprecedented performances, etc, the whole EP release for ALL THIS makes no sense. ??

It’s not to say you won’t get an album it’s to say you’re about to definitely without a doubt get an EP. That’s not a rumor that the truth. 

Janet at UB vs Janet today are completely different life spaces. Completely different. She is making shifts & brand changes sonically to build her audience internationally again & it’s without the taxing work, financially & otherwise, of doing a whole album right upfront. 

This is NO SLIGHT TO JANET but outside of Janet fan world, her music has not been highly anticipated by general public & actually doing numbers & giving her the footing she needs to ultimately make a solid global tour push. 

Also - EPs are projects. She’s never done an EP before so she’s calling the EP a project as all of her works are projects…movies, music, videos all are considered projects. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LawdToday said:

No credits for them tho so LOL

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-08-17-janet-jackson-talks-new-single-aretha-franklin-her-need-for-good-energy/

Per Janet Jackson via iHeartRadio 

Q: We can always use more of that. Now, this was your first time working with Harmony Samuels. Talk to me about how the song came together.

J: I think it was a while back when I was starting the tour. He and I got together and we sat and we talked for a bit [about] topics that I wanted to speak about and music that I would like to explore. I love his roots, his Nigerian roots, so that's how the whole thing flowed and became one body of work, and also working with Jimmy [Jam] and Terry [Lewis] on it. He's wonderful. I really enjoy working with him. He's a great energy.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:58 AM, Game For Now said:

https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-08-17-janet-jackson-talks-new-single-aretha-franklin-her-need-for-good-energy/

Per Janet Jackson via iHeartRadio 

Q: We can always use more of that. Now, this was your first time working with Harmony Samuels. Talk to me about how the song came together.

J: I think it was a while back when I was starting the tour. He and I got together and we sat and we talked for a bit [about] topics that I wanted to speak about and music that I would like to explore. I love his roots, his Nigerian roots, so that's how the whole thing flowed and became one body of work, and also working with Jimmy [Jam] and Terry [Lewis] on it. He's wonderful. I really enjoy working with him. He's a great energy.

Sis check the credits idk what to tell ya !

I was thinking about this whole EP thing, and I came to a few thoughts, first I looked at the last album, "Unbreakable" and that album was great but what I think so many of us miss in our perceptions, is how much of an album gets airplay? Or even known to the general concert goer? Not much and there's a huge push to promote an album, so from a return on investment stance, albums dont really give an artist the longevity for a sustained project. For example, even in the best case scenarios, Rihannas, Beyonces, and Adeles, after that first lead single how much else really digs in and gets full rotation like the first? Not much from what I can see, so if an artist like Janet, wants to release new music but have most of it received, a stellar EP that includes a Bruno Mars feature in addition to MFN which has gotten huge exposure kinda gives that artist more than an album with 20 tracks that get lost in the shuffle. As a die-hard fan I get the want for plenty of new music, and that serves us, but overall the market for an album dies after only a few singles and in the case of "Unbreakable" a great album doesnt really see the light of day outside the devoted fan base. A very well produced EP of 5 or 6 strong tracks, would go over really well, sort of like the video for MFN things move very fast now, one minute its in and its a hit the next its off to someone or something else, so an EP stands a better marketing chance of getting more saturation than an album because it doesnt require too much audience attention, 5 or 6 songs that are really good will get people to pay attention, but try getting a casual listener to play through a 20 song album and see what sticks, I think honestly the more songs the more diluted the experience becomes, for the casual listener. Attention spans are short, like tv who watchs 23 episodes of a season compared to say 10 ? think about it

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, John.... said:

I was thinking about this whole EP thing, and I came to a few thoughts, first I looked at the last album, "Unbreakable" and that album was great but what I think so many of us miss in our perceptions, is how much of an album gets airplay? Or even known to the general concert goer? Not much and there's a huge push to promote an album, so from a return on investment stance, albums dont really give an artist the longevity for a sustained project. For example, even in the best case scenarios, Rihannas, Beyonces, and Adeles, after that first lead single how much else really digs in and gets full rotation like the first? Not much from what I can see, so if an artist like Janet, wants to release new music but have most of it received, a stellar EP that includes a Bruno Mars feature in addition to MFN which has gotten huge exposure kinda gives that artist more than an album with 20 tracks that get lost in the shuffle. As a die-hard fan I get the want for plenty of new music, and that serves us, but overall the market for an album dies after only a few singles and in the case of "Unbreakable" a great album doesnt really see the light of day outside the devoted fan base. A very well produced EP of 5 or 6 strong tracks, would go over really well, sort of like the video for MFN things move very fast now, one minute its in and its a hit the next its off to someone or something else, so an EP stands a better marketing chance of getting more saturation than an album because it doesnt require too much audience attention, 5 or 6 songs that are really good will get people to pay attention, but try getting a casual listener to play through a 20 song album and see what sticks, I think honestly the more songs the more diluted the experience becomes, for the casual listener. Attention spans are short, like tv who watchs 23 episodes of a season compared to say 10 ? think about it

1) Janet didn’t get AirPlay due to agism amongst radio station

2) For the artists: their first single isn’t always the best song. Drake for example released many singles before In my Feelings 

3) you’re assuming the EP is full of strong songs which is doubtful for any EP

4) The purpose of an album isn’t to satisfy a market. It’s a complete body of work. It is art. If you look at it as such, in EP would be equivalent to an extended trailer.. but not the full movie. And that’s where Janet kinda lost me. I want the full feature film

5) Janet is an independent artist. Sales don’t matter at her caliber as it does for Nicki Minaj 

6) More songs does not equal more diluted album. otherwise RN1814 through AFY are considered diluted And that simply is not the case at all

7) Many people binge watch shows so your point on per episode spiel is moot

Personally, I have no problems with an EP at this piont but Janet, when she’s at her best, has created some of the most epic and integral albums to music history!!! “Control”-“The Velvet Rope” were straight classics and “Unbreakable” was just breathtaking; both a critical and commercial success!!! It didn’t matter if there were songs that didn’t get much attention like the singles because the albums worked as a complete whole.

That’s what us fans look forward to the most each new era. The next chapter/body of work that gives us insight into where she is in her life. Not just her, Madonna’s albums have always been hotly anticipated even now because of each reinvention, visually and sonically. I just want the full Janet experience with this era. With a 3 for 3 in near flawless execution in song, video and debut performance for “Made For Now”, not to mention A LOT more promotion to come, it’s just disappointing that’s all. Doesn’t mean we won’t buy multiple copies and play the hell out of it. It’s just we like those special deep cuts to that we can appreciate and wonder; even beg for Janet to perform live. Not to mention, “Made For Now” alone has some of Janet’s finest and most iconic visuals in SOOOO long and it’s a shame if a full album won’t be accompanying it with that kind of exuberant flare.

I still think #JJ12 is on the way, EP or not. Even with this new team and set up for this era, I don’t think Janet has stopped making full albums just yet. ??

Just now, Game For Now said:

Did you just shade AFY

I LOVE “All For You”! ?❤️❤️❤️ First CD I ever purchased but let’s be real, it’s not a great album but a good one none the less. Janet started to lose it here musically but the singles and tracks like “Trust A Try”, “Better Days”, “Come On Get Up” and “You Ain’t Right” Give me SOOOOO much life! It’s honestly that last “Janet” album to me until “Unbreakable”.

Now if you want to see shade, let’s talk about the album that came after.....??

6 minutes ago, Lenzo88 said:

I LOVE “All For You”! ?❤️❤️❤️ First CD I ever purchased but let’s be real, it’s not a great album but a good one none the less. Janet started to lose it here musically but the singles and tracks like “Trust A Try”, “Better Days”, “Come On Get Up” and “You Ain’t Right” Give me SOOOOO much life! It’s honestly that last “Janet” album to me until “Unbreakable”.

Now if you want to see shade, let’s talk about the album that came after.....??

First off.. you’re wrong. AFY is amazing. Her best album of the 2000s including Unbreakable 

Anything between 2004-2011 doesn’t count ??‍♂️

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Game For Now said:

First off.. you’re wrong. AFY is amazing. Her best album of the 2000s including Unbreakable 

Anything between 2004-2011 doesn’t count ??‍♂️

First I agree, it was her best album of the 2000s and second....

HA!!! Not when “Love Scene”, “Would You Mind” and especially “Truth” exist!!! ????? Like I said, I still love the album and it’s “good”, last time I checked that was a positive critique! ?

Oh and it’s MY opinion, it can’t me “wrong”!!! ??

56 minutes ago, Lenzo88 said:

HA!!! Not when “Love Scene”, “Would You Mind” and especially “Truth” exist!!! ????? Like I said, I still love the album and it’s “good”, last time I checked that was a positive critique! ?

this isn't a good opinion luv

55 minutes ago, Lenzo88 said:

My opinion... All For You stands well with the previous 4, save for one clear, important aspect that was present in Janet's best works.. it lacks a sense of direction.  It's the first of Janet's albums in a long time that feels more like a collection of songs without some organizing principle.  The sonics were still epic, and the songs were great, but the direction is a little less clear... 

Control - taking control of her life, and her young adulthood

Rhythm Nation = speaking out about problems in society

janet. = shedding the social warrior message to reveal the more complex, multidimensional person

The Velvet Rope = tackling inner struggles 

All For You = Lemme deal with this dammn divorce, drop some huge ass HITS and prove I can be successful without Y.O.U.