So so canceled: So So Def tour dates canceled due to low ticket sales?

janetDAYZ

Most of the dates on the long-awaited So So Def 25th Anniversary Tour have been cancelled, and fans are mystified as to what happened.

The concert tour was set to begin in Washington, D.C., on Oct. 14. Fans were getting geeked that they would once again see the likes of Xscape, Anthony Hamilton, Da Brat and Jagged Edge, among others, until Jermaine Dupri, the founder of the Atlanta-based record label, tweeted the following:

“To all my fans, I know what I’m bout to say is gonna create a very very big [flame emoji] but due to my schedule and creative changes I don’t feel comfortable starting this tour on the 14th, I honestly believe I need another week to get this to where I want it to be.”

Some fans are outraged because Dupri did not make an announcement in advance to let ticket-paying customers know they would no longer appear in many of the cities on the tour.

However, according to SandraRose.com, industry insiders are whispering that the postponement of many dates emanated from a lack of fan interest.

StraightFromTheA.com questions the authenticity of JD’s Twitter explanation that he “didn’t feel comfortable” starting the tour at the predetermined time because of scheduling conflicts and also insinuates a possible issue with lagging ticket sales.

A post on the website of the Staples Center in Los Angeles broke the news to fans this way: “Jermaine Dupri has announced that in order to give his fans the show they deserve for the So So Def 25th Anniversary tour, he needs more time to properly produce his vision. Because of the additional time needed, the first and only confirmed date for the tour at this time is on Sunday, October 21st ‐ State Farm Arena in Atlanta, GA. Due to this change in the advertised tour schedule, for the time being, the other remaining dates scheduled for the tour have been cancelled until further notice, including the show at STAPLES Center on November 2, 2018.”

StraightFromTheA.com wrote that a Ticketmaster search revealed that most of the dates have been cancelled, sans Atlanta and Los Angeles. No word yet on how long the other dates will be postponed, or if they will be resurrected at all.

so-so-def.png?x72273

Fans who did buy tickets to the tour took to social media to complain over the weekend.

“He could have rescheduled the dates for a later time and let the tickets that were already purchased, still be good for the new date,” one fan said on Twitter.

Another fan added: “It’s f–ked up tho [sic] that JD didn’t say something about the tour being canceled or nothing. We as supporters should have been informed.”

Even “Growing Up Hip Hop” producer Bow Wow, a So So Def artist back in the 1990s, took to Instagram to help clarify the confusion, but to little avail.

https://rollingout-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/rollingout.com/2018/10/09/so-so-canceled-so-so-def-tour-dates-canceled-due-to-low-ticket-sales/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https://www.google.com&aoh=15457105982031&amp_ct=1545710616300&amp_tf=From %1%24s

This is the first time I'm even hearing about it.

He should of did something similar to the 90's Block Party tours. House of Blues venues, and cater to the 30+ crowd. No one knows what So So Def is or means in this generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_So_Def_Recordings#Current_Artists

His best artists are no longer on his label ^

10 hours ago, EphraimAdamz said:

He should of did something similar to the 90's Block Party tours. House of Blues venues, and cater to the 30+ crowd. No one knows what So So Def is or means in this generation.

Not sure what you mean by “this generation”... like you mean your (our) generation? Or the younger generation? 

On 12/26/2018 at 11:46 PM, EphraimAdamz said:

His target for an audience is not for the younger generation anyway tf. Anytime a "reunion" or "anniversary" tour is put together..its for the crowd that grew up in that era. What JD was tryna put together for this tour was no different than Diddy putting the Bad Boy Reunion tour together a couple years ago. Its for the nostalgic experience for an "older" crowd 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

His target for an audience is not for the younger generation anyway tf. Anytime a "reunion" or "anniversary" tour is put together..its for the crowd that grew up in that era. What JD was tryna put together for this tour was no different than Diddy putting the Bad Boy Reunion tour together a couple years ago. Its for the nostalgic experience for an "older" crowd 

its for the grown and sexy -_-

29 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

The same audience who won’t buy it :lmao: 

JD has to realize that crew wasn't all that even at the time so aint nobody checking for them now for real :lol: He talks like he knows so much about the industry yet in a few responses in this thread we took the entire gig apart and why it wont sell :sigh:

• Like 1

I think he thought juss cus Xscape had a successful reunion tour selling out arenas (which i was surprised about) ...he thought since they were an act under him from back in the day...it would help sell tickets with them being apart of this reunion. But Xscape juss wrapped up two legs here in the states, why would ppl wanna go see them a 3rd time around? SoSo Def was never as BIG as Bad Boy artists.. They were like the poor man's version of Bad Boy... They had hits but they dont carry a legacy. 

26 minutes ago, janetDAYZ said:

I think he thought juss cus Xscape had a successful reunion tour selling out arenas (which i was surprised about) ...he thought since they were an act under him from back in the day...it would help sell tickets with them being apart of this reunion. But Xscape juss wrapped up two legs here in the states, why would ppl wanna go see them a 3rd time around? SoSo Def was never as BIG as Bad Boy artists.. They were like the poor man's version of Bad Boy... They had hits but they dont carry a legacy. 

Show me those Box scores 

8 hours ago, Game For Now said:

Show me those Box scores 

Ive already tried to find it but never could. It was highly publicized in the media when Xscape reunited last year cus no one ever thought they would. I seen reports of it being sold out tour even Xscape themselves said they were surprised they were selling out arenas cus they said they never had headlined back in their glory days.

17 minutes ago, janetDAYZ said:

Ive already tried to find it but never could. It was highly publicized in the media when Xscape reunited last year cus no one ever thought they would. I seen reports of it being sold out tour even Xscape themselves said they were surprised they were selling out arenas cus they said they never had headlined back in their glory days.

Same.. no box scores, not on any lists. It’s like they didn't tour lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 1:48 AM, janetDAYZ said:

I said 30+ 🙄 I used to DJ at skating rinks when I was 14 and play those artists on teen lock in nights. What I'm sayinG though is the 90's Block Parties tours seem to have better promotion. No one remembers what So So Def is unless you're from Atlanta 🙄 Ruff Ryders, Bad Boy, people remember that.. hell Flip Mode Squad 

• 2 weeks later...

It was a cute idea but Jagged Edge & Xscape have been performing their own tours recently so it didn't make sense to do a reunion tour when their demographic/fans have probably already itched the nostalgia scratch.

I only use Mariah's remixes with them and also Xscape and the odd Jagged Edge song

tenor.gif?itemid=9621867