Jump to content

Darkchild worked on Janet’s new album?!?


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Voodoo said:

I don't see how anybody can argue against Jimmy and Terry being heavily involved in this new project ...y'all up here acting like Unbreakable wasn't her best album since 'All For You'...like JJ/TL are not a vital part of us stanning for the Queens timeless music...chile...

 

They should be, but not majority is all I’m saying

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some fans think that since she's had conceptual albums before, that she should stick to that..they will use 20 Y.O. and Discipline as examples--moreso because she didn't write as much on those albums.

Fuck all dat....Jimmy and Terry better be producing the song about the old Japanese hoe because I can't wait to hear it  

Honestly, I don’t get the “Caution”/“Unbreakable” comparisons!!! 😳😱 Ya’ll are trying it sooooo hard!!! 😒 First off, musically, “Unbreakable” is Janet at her absolute best!!! That’s why it was alm

Honestly, I don’t get the “Caution”/“Unbreakable” comparisons!!! 😳😱 Ya’ll are trying it sooooo hard!!! 😒

First off, musically, “Unbreakable” is Janet at her absolute best!!! That’s why it was almost unanimously regarded as “a long awaited return to form” and “easily one of her best since TVR!” Not to mention, the album was on numerous “Best of 2015” Album’s lists!!! Also, Janet poured her heart and soul into the record like she use to do during her impeccable run from “Control”-“The Velvet Rope”!

Lets Be Real! Mariah is a legend in her own right too but that’s more because of her immaculate (used to 👀) vocals and staying power in the business by being such a powerhouse on the charts in the 90s til’ now. Musically, Janet has always been the better artist lyrically and production wise as “Control” alone was the precursor to the “New Jack Swing” movement in the late 80s/early 90s.

Mariah’s music was never groundbreaking in the least, but her unique and powerful voice (at the time! 👀😎) Made those songs greater than what they were. Janet’s music kind of always had to be grander in production and scope do to her limited voice and dance skills. Also, Janet’s music at its core has always been deeper, with more depth and complexity to it....before the 2000s of course. 👀 Yes, “Caution” is a return to form after the trying too hard mess of “Moo. I Am A Cow.” I’m sorry but even at her best, “Caution” is a great album with lush and polished productions....but “Unbreakable” is timeless!!! LIKE all of Janet’s classic albums in terms of lyrics, concepts and themes. 🤔 “Butterfly” comes close, but Janet’s in her own league! 😎👍✊🏾

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I'll never go for the "Janet can't breathe without Jimmy & Terry producing" side, for 2 reasons. 1. She legit has some hits, and some high-quality songs that they have no credits on, not as many as what they do have credit on, but that brings me to my 2nd point. We legitimately don't have an album of hers without Jimmy & Terry that she was as involved in the behind the production as she was with them to make such a statement. of the 3 of her 11 albums that she's done without them, she took the back seat for them all. Who's to say that with her being a force with writing & production assisted by new blood & new ideas she can't come with something great and innovative. 

Not putting down Jimmy & Terry, Unbreakable was her best since TVR, and I use it more than any of her 2000's albums. But for me to agree that "she needs them for her best", I'd need at least 1 album with her in major writing/direction in production roles to stand by. And as of right now it doesn't exist, so using the 3 albums we have without their input (& the 2 when they were "too many cooks" and she took the backseat on) doesn't make the case for that opinion

I reserve judgment for her work with any producers until I hear the finished work. Just like all things Janet related, the fewer expectations, the better.:coffee:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jarrylf said:

Yea I'll never go for the "Janet can't breathe without Jimmy & Terry producing" side, for 2 reasons. 1. She legit has some hits, and some high-quality songs that they have no credits on, not as many as what they do have credit on, but that brings me to my 2nd point. We legitimately don't have an album of hers without Jimmy & Terry that she was as involved in the behind the production as she was with them to make such a statement. of the 3 of her 11 albums that she's done without them, she took the back seat for them all. Who's to say that with her being a force with writing & production assisted by new blood & new ideas she can't come with something great and innovative. 

Not putting down Jimmy & Terry, Unbreakable was her best since TVR, and I use it more than any of her 2000's albums. But for me to agree that "she needs them for her best", I'd need at least 1 album with her in major writing/direction in production roles to stand by. And as of right now it doesn't exist, so using the 3 albums we have without their input (& the 2 when they were "too many cooks" and she took the backseat on) doesn't make the case for that opinion

I reserve judgment for her work with any producers until I hear the finished work. Just like all things Janet related, the fewer expectations, the better.:coffee:

1) she has one “legit” hit and none of those songs are better than TTWLG, TA, AFY, MYM, etc

2)  We heard the songs from Damita Jo that they weren’t involved in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Game For Now said:

1) she has one “legit” hit and none of those songs are better than TTWLG, TA, AFY, MYM, etc

2)  We heard the songs from Damita Jo that they weren’t involved in. 

1. Nah they both are legit hits. Pleasure Principle is in the top 3 most played Control singles on radio, and who said they were better than those songs (I use Black Cat more than AFY easily tho), point is they weren't involved & she did her best.

2. And she was also giving her all that era now? Vocally sure, but again, on that writing and production end, that album & era don't exist yet sug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jarrylf said:

1. Nah they both are legit hits. Pleasure Principle is in the top 3 most played Control singles on radio, and who said they were better than those songs (I use Black Cat more than AFY easily tho), point is they weren't involved & she did her best.

2. And she was also giving her all that era now? Vocally sure, but again, on that writing and production end, that album & era don't exist yet sug.

1) Monte Moir was a keyboardist for Jimmy/Terry and Janet recorded it in their studio. Same goes to Black Cat except Jimmy called Jellybean personally bc they don’t do rock music... they also consulted on the beginning of the track. I’m all for Jimmy/Terry taking reigns as consulter but these wack producers From DJ & Discipline took Janet away from her element... and nothing landed

2) She doesn’t need to...  no one wants a Janet album where Janet is the sole writer/producer. That’s wack and proves nothing. Vocally Damita Jo ain’t all that 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Game For Now said:

1) Monte Moir was a keyboardist for Jimmy/Terry and Janet recorded it in their studio. Same goes to Black Cat except Jimmy called Jellybean personally bc they don’t do rock music... they also consulted on the beginning of the track. I’m all for Jimmy/Terry taking reigns as consulter but these wack producers From DJ & Discipline took Janet away from her element... and nothing landed

2) She doesn’t need to...  no one wants a Janet album where Janet is the sole writer/producer. That’s wack and proves nothing. Vocally Damita Jo ain’t all that 

1. Again tho, those examples aren't relevant to what I'm saying because she took a backseat, which she didn't do with Jimmy & Terry on the big 6. Until there's an album without them where she puts just as much work in writing & producing as she did on the 6 of the 8 albums with them the opinion that she needs them isn't backed by any substantial evidence. 

2. Nah I think alot of us would be all for it, and frankly there's no real reason not to be. She's never done it & she's capable so I'm curious, and if successful it kinda would prove the notion that she "needs" anyone to make her sound good wrong, and how that's not seen as great I don't understand. And sure it is, definitely top 5 in vocals (especially including the unreleased)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jarrylf said:

1. Again tho, those examples aren't relevant to what I'm saying because she took a backseat, which she didn't do with Jimmy & Terry on the big 6. Until there's an album without them where she puts just as much work in writing & producing as she did on the 6 of the 8 albums with them the opinion that she needs them isn't backed by any substantial evidence. 

2. Nah I think alot of us would be all for it, and frankly there's no real reason not to be. She's never done it & she's capable so I'm curious, and if successful it kinda would prove the notion that she "needs" anyone to make her sound good wrong, and how that's not seen as great I don't understand. And sure it is, definitely top 5 in vocals (especially including the unreleased)

1) It doesn’t need to happen. We already sampled that too many times. There’s no need for it

2) We all want classic Janet.. her sound but evolved, mature. We don’t want her to chase hits.. We don’t want her to explore producers bc each and every producer she’s worked with outside of Jimmy/Terry has been a) subpar b) recreating her dead brother

2b) While she doesn’t necessitary NEED J/T.. they complete Janet’s music. There’s no doubt there and any doubt is dishonesty 

2c) The only reason y’all like the unreleased crap is bc it’s unreleased.. while few are bops,  none are better than anything from the Top 7 albums (including Unbreakable)

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

1) It doesn’t need to happen. We already sampled that too many times. There’s no need for it

2) We all want classic Janet.. her sound but evolved, mature. We don’t want her to chase hits.. We don’t want her to explore producers bc each and every producer she’s worked with outside of Jimmy/Terry has been a) subpar b) recreating her dead brother

2b) While she doesn’t necessitary NEED J/T.. they complete Janet’s music. There’s no doubt there and any doubt is dishonesty 

2c) The only reason y’all like the unreleased crap is bc it’s unreleased.. while few are bops,  none are better than anything from the Top 7 albums (including Unbreakable)

1-2b. Again, we cant count the current 3 albums without Jimmy & Terry nor the 2 where they had others involved as examples because that wasn't Janet at her best giving her best, hits or not love em or hate em, that's how it was. Her being independent, in her 50s, and far removed from aiming for #1s & awards she has room to experiment, hell Made For Now was along those lines and it worked. Jimmy & Terry just helped with the vocals, but had a smaller role like they did for those 2000 albums, and unlike those albums Janet was heavily involved in the writing & producing, which goes with she can make it work with anyone as long as she's giving her all and not compromising her vision & sound to let someone just throw whatever at her to sing.

2c. Inaccurate. That's just your opinion, nobodies stanning for Work or Beat Of Black Wings, but the unreleased DJ stuff has gotten more love than the album itself. It doesnt have to be better than her best to still be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jarrylf said:

1-2b. Again, we cant count the current 3 albums without Jimmy & Terry nor the 2 where they had others involved as examples because that wasn't Janet at her best giving her best, hits or not love em or hate em, that's how it was. Her being independent, in her 50s, and far removed from aiming for #1s & awards she has room to experiment, hell Made For Now was along those lines and it worked. Jimmy & Terry just helped with the vocals, but had a smaller role like they did for those 2000 albums, and unlike those albums Janet was heavily involved in the writing & producing, which goes with she can make it work with anyone as long as she's giving her all and not compromising her vision & sound to let someone just throw whatever at her to sing.

2c. Inaccurate. That's just your opinion, nobodies stanning for Work or Beat Of Black Wings, but the unreleased DJ stuff has gotten more love than the album itself. It doesnt have to be better than her best to still be good.

1-2b) As long as Jimmy/Terry are around, Janet will have that classic sound like MFN

2c) Bc DJ is 🗑 None of those tracks are better than 86-01 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Game For Now said:

1-2b) As long as Jimmy/Terry are around, Janet will have that classic sound like MFN

2c) Bc DJ is 🗑 None of those tracks are better than 86-01 

1. But that's not them producing, I love that she makes it very clear this is not them.

2. Your opinion is noted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 6:23 PM, Voodoo said:

CAUTION?!? CAUTION?!? 🗣️ *Souljah Boy voice*

I didn't like anything on Caution and I actually think the production on it was lazy as hell.

Then again some of y'all think Damita Jo is the bees.knees.

Carry on

🙄

 

It’s clearly your taste that’s the problem. Your voodoo spirits need a chakra cleanse sis x

 

On 2/8/2019 at 1:43 PM, J. said:

‘8th Grade’ alone is better than anything on Unbreakable. But I wouldn’t say it’s better than Unbreakable overall

Ugh an 8th Grade stan! I approve. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok....time for me to put in my two cents again! Sigh!

I agree, Darkchild isn’t the most modern producer to work with but how bout we trust in Janet like we usually do?! 🤔 I mean, you’re acting like he produced the WHOLE album when it sounds more like one or two songs at best. 

The thing with Janet and what I absolutely LOVED about “Unbreakable” is it was just contemporary enough to be trendy but old school enough to feel authentically like Janet. It was mature, fresh and fantastical with a splash of laid back charm and explosive lyricism. If Album #12 follows suit, I’m all for it!!! Yes, Janet’s usually at her best with Jimmy and Terry but that’s because she’s good when she’s ready AND inspired to write music!!! Did ya’ll forget about “Damita Jo”!?! Despite the ill conceived fan acclaim that album gets, it is trash NOT because of Jimmy and Terry, but because Janet wasn’t THERE to record it. The producers are only as good as the artist’s creativity and ambition. The three are at their best when they are ALL inspired and motivated to push musically forward. Hence, “Damita Jo” is completely of its time but a soulless retread of what Janet has done before....and honestly MUCH better. “20 Y.O.” and “Discipline” followed suit with more modern productions but once again, the music fell short because Janet wasn’t PRESENT or in her ELEMENT!!! The fact is, Janet could work with her signature duo or the most modern producers of the time but if this legend is not inspired to write, then the music will always and I MEAN always be underwhelming!

My point is!!! It doesn’t matter who she worked with on this upcoming album because either she has something to say or not!!! If she does, we’ll get yet another classic in an overall flawed but impressive discography, if not, then we’ll get “Damita Momma”! 🤪 End of discussion!!! Jesus!!! 😫

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beyond Feedback Janet & Rodney have created subpar work. DJ was a very good album shrouded in drama which made it lose it buzz but still very underrated with many good tracks. 

IF we’re going to say Jimmy & Terry give her a classic sound but others give her - Michael, wtf was The Great Forever? That was Michael & so was Take Me Away on the verses, Unbreakable at many places & on Gon Be Alright. 

Its become obvious to me; they’re (all producers) that work with Janet are trying to preserve a “Jackson” sound & vibe. She is also heavily to “blame” for how much or little she branches out. There’s many lanes she can explore, and many of which she refuses or just doesn’t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FreelovesJJ said:

Beyond Feedback Janet & Rodney have created subpar work. DJ was a very good album shrouded in drama which made it lose it buzz but still very underrated with many good tracks. 

IF we’re going to say Jimmy & Terry give her a classic sound but others give her - Michael, wtf was The Great Forever? That was Michael & so was Take Me Away on the verses, Unbreakable at many places & on Gon Be Alright. 

Its become obvious to me; they’re (all producers) that work with Janet are trying to preserve a “Jackson” sound & vibe. She is also heavily to “blame” for how much or little she branches out. There’s many lanes she can explore, and many of which she refuses or just doesn’t. 

giphy.gif

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FreelovesJJ said:

Beyond Feedback Janet & Rodney have created subpar work. DJ was a very good album shrouded in drama which made it lose it buzz but still very underrated with many good tracks. 

IF we’re going to say Jimmy & Terry give her a classic sound but others give her - Michael, wtf was The Great Forever? That was Michael & so was Take Me Away on the verses, Unbreakable at many places & on Gon Be Alright. 

Its become obvious to me; they’re (all producers) that work with Janet are trying to preserve a “Jackson” sound & vibe. She is also heavily to “blame” for how much or little she branches out. There’s many lanes she can explore, and many of which she refuses or just doesn’t. 

She explored plenty on "Damita Jo" with tracks like "SloLove", "Island Life", "Sexhibition", and "Just A Little While". I always hated that Jimmy was pressed about Janet working with other people and so were some of the fans but oh well. She also explored on "Discipline". Both albums gave me 2 of my top 5 Janet tracks of all time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...