JLo to do Motown Tribute at Grammys

Bailey

J-lo did her typical J-lo schtick...sparkles, leotard, Vegas realness and barely there vocals.

Where was the soul?! The essence of Motown. That shit was tragic.

They had a very capable Toni Braxton sitting in the audience and I've seen her live before and she can give you showgirl as well but she can also sing her face off. Missed opportunity

• Upvote 1

Worst Tribute Pairing: Jennifer Lopez vs. Motown

merlin_150512124_ffab75d1-a1d1-468e-afdb-2eee0df4dffd-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Let’s say up front that Jennifer Lopez is a genuinely versatile talent — a spectacular dancer, an underrated actress, a person who sings. There are numerous ways she could have enlivened any number of parts of the Grammys this year, or any other year. Fronting a Motown tribute, however — yeah, how about no? Lopez did not appear to be singing live at any point during her six-minute-plus performance, to the chagrin of many online, and perhaps also to any of the dozens of R&B singers who could have handled these songs with verve and power. While the dance routines were strong, turning the music of Motown — which featured some of the most vital, urgent vocals in pop music history — into a Busby Berkeley routine was a swing and a miss.

NYTimes

I clocked that person who sings shade!  Most of the reviews I saw said the same thing.  Question is how didn't the Grammies see this coming, and even on JLO side her team shoulda said no.  I believe anyone can be inspired by any genre.  She said before the show her mother used to have them listen to Motown etc.  That's cute but girl you KNOW you cant SANG like these songs deserve.

I think the Grammies were desperate for talent to show up and didn't want an old school legend or younger actual R&B star who isn't A list.  They had so many top tier talent not showing up or wanting to perform this year.  I was surprised Drake showed, and even then he dissed them and had his mic cut.

this is the time I think JLo can take the L and catch all the flack, she's not stupid in the least. JLo should have gracefully bowed out and maybe gave the nod up to someone else, but instead thanks to her own damn ego, miss "Im competitive" she couldnt stop herself and have that seat ....shame :sigh:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Voodoo said:

Country fans would have been outraged if J-lo was tapped to do that Dolly Parton tribute by herself but The Grammys would never let that happen...:rolleyes:

They really tried it

White folks protect their shit, you would never see some young white chick singing Barbara, them white folks would be like bitch wat? "People" she better sat down somewhere. Even when Beyonce sang "At Last" that was a slap in the face to Etta James, that's Etta James Beyonce should have said no Mr. President I cant do that, invite her. But Nope Beyonce did that....see how race plays into everything? :filenails:

1 hour ago, kidfresh832 said:

Whatever girl

bullshit, that's Motown gurl, and if Black folks dont know anything else, we know a hustler trying to get a come up off us. Motown's filled with those kinda stories. JLo was in the wrong lane and boo bitch sorry.....it's a first for everything, and here is an actual first I can say I dont like her right now. :umm:

1 hour ago, kidfresh832 said:

Whatever girl

I honestly feel for her. Being asked to do it, as a huge fan and someone who grew up with that music, it's an honor. Why should she have to say to herself, well I can't pay tribute to this because I'm not black. Motown influenced all types of people and all types of genres. Could the producers have picked someone more appropriate? Yes. And that's on them. I don't think JLO should be getting this much hate for this.

9 minutes ago, Aquaria said:

I honestly feel for her. Being asked to do it, as a huge fan and someone who grew up with that music, it's an honor. Why should she have to say to herself, well I can't pay tribute to this because I'm not black. Motown influenced all types of people and all types of genres. Could the producers have picked someone more appropriate? Yes. And that's on them. I don't think JLO should be getting this much hate for this.

yes she should, she's not dumb, and she know what time it is, dont get it twisted, she's been the Latina token player in this game, the Latinos can claim JLo she's there's to celebrate.

Its not bad enough we dont have Black acts who sing R&B being honored because there's the Adele's and JT's out here, but now we have a Latina paying "tribute" the legends of Motown? I'm with all the other comments I have read, you couldnt pull someone Black from that audience to make the tribute? It had to be JLo whose been quite ambitious lately, she took over the MTV VMAs I see why Janet wasnt promoting MFN there, hell it was the JLo concert. :sigh: 

I get tired of people believing that hollywood industry bullshit, she was asked, chile JLo wanted a spot on a major award show to continue promoting herself, not like she was nominated to win anything:umm:   this was a come up....

29 minutes ago, Aquaria said:

I agree on the racial angle.  But, she should be honest and say I don't have SOUL, and I have to lip sync, and Vegas showgirl for my life and this is not Motown.  I do feel like she's genuine in the my mom is a big fan part.  And Music inspires her part.  

I think for the most part people have been kind and giving her credit for being talented etc.  Its just Motown was not salsa, it wasn't Vegas residency, and it was SINGERS, singing.

It just was not a good look.  I mean is Taylor Swift gonna do Janet's tribute?  

• Upvote 3