JANET'S ALBUM RANK

JupiterArgus

45 minutes ago, jarrylf said:

Bops don't equal greatness, those songs are bops, and are some of the best songs on the album, but they sound like Ciara/Britney songs, not Janet.

I sure did, becasue the songs compared to her discog are basic and in the area of the 1st 2 albums, however her 1st 2 albums give off way more of her voice than Discipline did with all them demo sounding1 take vocals. A massive part of my love of Janet is the styles of her singing, Discipline without a doubt is the album she gave the bare minimum in her vocals for every song (excluding the harmonies). So no artistic input, no creative input, nothing about the album stands with her best, it could've been done by Ciara easily, her most limited use of her vocals=11th.

Careful.. I feel like Effram is a C-Error (Ciara fans)

I want to add to this... Most of those songs were for other people.. or just ignored by her brother or what producers THINK is a Janet Jackson song (Curtains). 

13 minutes ago, Game For Now said:

Careful.. I feel like Effram is a C-Error (Ciara fans)

I want to add to this... Most of those songs were for other people.. or just ignored by her brother or what producers THINK is a Janet Jackson song (Curtains). 

True.... I forgot that

THAT TOO, and it shows, it shows so clearly. And there's been other Janet songs that were meant for others and that are covers....but her input makes them hers, her styling makes them hers. Not with Discipline. I jokingly call that album the demos cause I do believe if she got those songs, put her style on it, actually changed up her voice and used more of her voice on it, it could be as good as 20Y.O. :lmao:

The ranking in the OP is incorrect. It should read as such:

1. RN1814
  2. TVR
  3. Control
  4. janet.
  5. UB
  6. AFY
  7. Discipline
  8. DJ
  9. 20YO
  10. JJ
  11. DS

RN1814 is her best album. IDK why so many of you try to argue this. The only real clusterfuck is j., UB, and AFY. It's debatable. "janet." isn't too much better than AFY, and UB is definitely better than AFY. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Wonder said:

The ranking in the OP is incorrect. It should read as such:

1. RN1814
  2. TVR
  3. Control
  4. janet.
  5. UB
  6. AFY
  7. Discipline
  8. DJ
  9. 20YO
  10. JJ
  11. DS

RN1814 is her best album. IDK why so many of you try to argue this. The only real clusterfuck is j., UB, and AFY. It's debatable. "janet." isn't too much better than AFY, and UB is definitely better than AFY. 

Discipline is way too high :umm: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Game For Now said:

Certain do.

We waiting for your explanation of that tragedy you call a list 

I think the first four pretty much speak for themselves. 

The j., UB, AFY is the only section where things get debatable. "janet." isn't too much better than AFY, and UB is better than AFY. By inference, UB is right on the heels of janet. AFY probably has more standout tracks than j. and UB, but they work better as albums, whereas AFY is more like a great collection of songs. "janet." is not that strong without its singles. AFY and UB are, i.e., TAT, Truth, BE, AYF, and Night. The biggest, and most obvious qualm about j. is the length. It starts to drag in the middle (TT - BOL). The only songs that save the album post If are WAYN and ATAP. But overall, the concept and direction of the album are clear, same with UB. The songs are a little better too. So that's why it's above UB, but not by much, with AFY not far behind UB.

Disc is definitely better than DJ and 20YO. Ya'll really give DJ too much. It's a watered down janet., lbr. She whispered her way through the album, didn't even write the songs, and the concept isn't developed much. DJ is full of good to mediocre tracks, no real great tracks imo.  20YO is just Janet trying too hard to adapt to that R&B/Hip-Hop blend trend that was going on during that time. DB, Enjoy, and TC are really the only tracks that "feel" like a "Janet song". Listening to it, it doesn't feel like there was a direction or idea for the album. What both albums have in common is that none of the songs have any real replay value, or the tracks don't really stick out for lack of a better phrase. Whereas with Disc, the album punches for the first couple of tracks just like previous albums before coasting into the slow jams, and then finishing with the mid-tempo tracks (TVR & AFY namely). FB - 2Nite is a much stronger opening set of tracks than DJ and 20YO. The only "eh" tracks are the awful GX and NLG. The concept of discipline is more pronounced throughout the album. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Wonder said:

She whispered her way through the album, didn't even write the songs, and the concept isn't developed much.

Whereas with Disc, the album punches for the first couple of tracks just like previous albums before coasting into the slow jams, and then finishing with the mid-tempo tracks (TVR & AFY namely). FB - 2Nite is a much stronger opening set of tracks than DJ and 20YO. The only "eh" tracks are the awful GX and NLG.

The concept of discipline is more pronounced throughout the album. 

I agree with your assessment on the top 6 but here you say Janet didn’t write the songs on Damita Jo... but she did nothing on Discipline

You mention “feel” tho you know at least 20YO FEELS like a Janet album.. Discipline does not

Whats the concept of Discipline, in your opinion 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Game For Now said:

I agree with your assessment on the top 6 but here you say Janet didn’t write the songs on Damita Jo... but she did nothing on Discipline

You mention “feel” tho you know at least 20YO FEELS like a Janet album.. Discipline does not

Whats the concept of Discipline, in your opinion 

Janet didn't write anything on Disc, she let Terry write DJ. Basically the same thing if you ask me. :lol:

20YO doesn't "feel" like a Janet album cuz it's soooo try hard. Janet's R&B is generally blended with dance, not hip-hop. I'd like to think there's a reason why SE is the only song that she's given a live performance as of late. I can't remember the last time she did COM. :unsure:

The concept of Disc is simply that - discipline. Being disciplined in embarking in love (Luv, WUN, SMB), sexual gratification (title track). 

• Upvote 1

I like this. My favorites have shifted a bit as I have matured, experienced life, etc. and I'm only going to do the 9 starting with control.

1. The Velvet Rope (No skips. But favorites in no particular order are Empty, Rope Burn, You, and Got Til It's Gone, and I Get Lonely. Whole album)

2. All For You (almost no skips. Come on Get Up, China Love, Someone to Call my Lover, Trust a Try) (song to skip: Love Scene)

3. Damita Jo (Like You Don't Love Me, Truly, I Want You (which I abhorred when I was younger)) (song to skip: Moist)

4. Rhythm Nation (Escapade, Love Will Never Do, Miss You Much) (song to Skip: Lonely)

5. 20 Y.O. (This Body, Take Care, Love2Love, Roll Witchu, Daybreak)  (song to skip: Call on Me, Enjoy)

6. Discipline (Curtains, LUV, Rollercoaster) (songs to skip: Never Letchu Go)

7. janet (You Want This, Any Time, Any Place, That's the Way Love Goes, If) (Skip: 18-28 with the exception of Anytime, Anyplace)

8. Control (Let's Wait A While, Funny How Time Flies)

9. Unbreakable. But only because I've had less time to live with it than her other albums. Less moments to tie to songs but I love the album.

My favorite Janet Jackson song of all time though is Runaway😍

9 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

trackboy has officially posted the most controversial list known to man on ANY forum of ANY artist. 😂

The part that killed me the most was DJ ranking above RN ..

there is not an emoji that exists that could even remotely express how i felt about that 

I think Rhythm Nation is a better album but I don't frequently bop to it. I listen to a song from Damita Jo frequently though.  I can't really say I ever get in the car and am like let me hit play on Rhythm Nation 1814. Not that kind of driver lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/24/2019 at 8:16 AM, janetDAYZ said:

"All For You" ... Sooooo meaningful. We have Control,RN, and TVR but ..."All For You" is just as meaningful if not more than those prior projects lol Ok Norman. "A4U" was a cute "theme" but its NOT a strong theme, period...Hell even 20YO had more validity theme-wise tbh 

20YO is just a mess.

• Upvote 3