So... Since "Together Again" is Janet's best selling single ever...

janetDAYZ

What are her top 5 international hits? What other singles were the closest to having the global embrace as TA? Im curious bc even tho we know RN -the song is her most recognizable song it technically wasnt like a global hit like TA...is A4U her 2nd biggest internatinal hit?

• 3 weeks later...

I’m going to answer this factually based on chart positions and certifications 

1) Together Again

2) That’s The Way Love Goes

3) All For You

4) What Have You Done For Me Lately? 

5 is a tossup. You have Runaway, The Best Things In Life Are Free, When I think of You, Let’s Wait Awhile, Scream, and Got Til It’s gone...

Weirdly enough, even though the RN is her most iconic era singles wise in the States, it’s her most ‘local’ out of all her signature eras. It didn’t really produce a worldwide hit, even though Escapade and LWNDWY should have easily stayed the world. 

• Upvote 1

Thats what i always thought was strange how Janet's songs performed well in different markets but may not have been embraced overall, globally. Its like "if its a hit there, then it was a miss over here." type of thing. It still strikes me as odd that it took for her to get to TVR era to produce such an international hit. Soooo many great singles between Control era - janet.era like how tf did she not have more hits across the globe? Like why didnt the RN era perform that well in the UK? 

On 7/27/2019 at 5:17 AM, janetDAYZ said:

Thats what i always thought was strange how Janet's songs performed well in different markets but may not have been embraced overall, globally. Its like "if its a hit there, then it was a miss over here." type of thing. It still strikes me as odd that it took for her to get to TVR era to produce such an international hit. Soooo many great singles between Control era - janet.era like how tf did she not have more hits across the globe? Like why didnt the RN era perform that well in the UK? 

that reminds me of how Whitney's "My Love Is Your Love" album was kind of a flop in the U.S. but sold 10 million ww

18 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

that reminds me of how Whitney's "My Love Is Your Love" album was kind of a flop in the U.S. but sold 10 million ww

Um..

Joe i believe "My Love Is Your Love" sold like 4 mill in the states (at that time) ...that wasnt considered a flop 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

Um..

Joe i believe "My Love Is Your Love" sold like 4 mill in the states (at that time) ...that wasnt considered a flop 

It was certified at 4 million but it actually had only over 2 million in sales and yes it was considered a flop. A huge artist like Whitney selling only 2 million in the US in the 90s. Yup. Velvet Rope sold more than that

24 minutes ago, JoeJoe said:

It was certified at 4 million but it actually only over 2 million in sales and yes it was considered a flop. A huge artist like Whitney selling only 2 million in the US in the 90s. Yup. Velvet Rope sold more than that

Perhaps I didn't have access to all of the music magazines back then but it had a slow start at the worst. It didn't stop her from nabbing a big contract with Arista.

1 hour ago, Illi said:

Perhaps I didn't have access to all of the music magazines back then but it had a slow start at the worst. It didn't stop her from nabbing a big contract with Arista.

that's cause it sold over 10 million ww which was good. IDK how but it did lol. Too bad she never really completed the contract

On 7/29/2019 at 9:56 AM, Illi said:

MLIYL could be considered a flop in the sense that it failed to reach the top 10, something surprising for someone of Whitney's stature. As one of her more soulful album, it did punch above the belt internationally.

We're not talking about chart position. If the sales ended up being pretty good for the era ...then NUMBERS dont lie. Whitney, was on par with her peers at that time saleswise. Madonna, Janet and Mariah all sold between 3-5 mill (in the states) with their latest projects at that time. Butterfly,Ray Of Light, Your Love Is My Love, and  The Velvet Rope sold around the same amount in the states. So whit was not flopping. Not too mention her singles were doing good on the charts.

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2019 at 11:49 AM, JoeJoe said:

It was certified at 4 million but it actually had only over 2 million in sales and yes it was considered a flop. A huge artist like Whitney selling only 2 million in the US in the 90s. Yup. Velvet Rope sold more than that

Thats no different than ppl considering TVR to be a flop (at the time) cus it wasnt selling like her previous albums...but in the grand scheme of things...TVR ended up not being a "flop".  At that point janet,mariah,madonna and whit werent selling MAJOR numvers like they did in the 80s to early 90s but the numbers they were doing in the late 90s were respectable. 

And lets be clear.. Juss bc an album isnt flying off the shelves in america doesnt mean it wont sell in other markets. So i dont know why you are surprised it sold 10 mill ww. An album can bomb here but blown up in the UK. You think of MJ's "Bad" which didnt even hit diamond in the states during his peak but sold somewhere like 30 mill ww... Now THAT was a shock that Mike couldnt even get a diamond album post Thriller. 

Well it made her widely known globally and she was highly respected in the EU after that album. And TA is her biggest selling single of all time so I wouldn't call it a flop. Got till its gone sold like 10k in the UK. That's huge. 

18 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

Thats no different than ppl considering TVR to be a flop (at the time) cus it wasnt selling like her previous albums...but in the grand scheme of things...TVR ended up not being a "flop".  At that point janet,mariah,madonna and whit werent selling MAJOR numvers like they did in the 80s to early 90s but the numbers they were doing in the late 90s were respectable. 

And lets be clear.. Juss bc an album isnt flying off the shelves in america doesnt mean it wont sell in other markets. So i dont know why you are surprised it sold 10 mill ww. An album can bomb here but blown up in the UK. You think of MJ's "Bad" which didnt even hit diamond in the states during his peak but sold somewhere like 30 mill ww... Now THAT was a shock that Mike couldnt even get a diamond album post Thriller. 

an album doesn't have to fly off the shelves in America to sell ww but Whitney had no hits on that album period. Janet on the other hand did, she just didn't use them in the beginning so i'm not surprised at TVR selling 10 million. Whitney's album i'm very surprised.

18 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Let’s think of the times.. An album going #1 didn’t mean much in the 80s & 90s... Madonna didn’t have a #1 album in the 90s and that was her career peak

80s was Madonna's peak. She was struggling in the 90s and #1s ALWAYS meant something no matter what decade of music. Still means "something" today. Its just not the only way to determine what a successful project is.