So... Since "Together Again" is Janet's best selling single ever...

janetDAYZ

15 hours ago, Lutfa said:

Well it made her widely known globally and she was highly respected in the EU after that album. And TA is her biggest selling single of all time so I wouldn't call it a flop. Got till its gone sold like 10k in the UK. That's huge. 

We all know tvr isnt a flop lol at the time it was considered one. Tvr ended dpin 10 mill ww or something like that. Ppl were calling it a flop at first cus of the slow sales but it picked up after TA and IGL

13 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

an album doesn't have to fly off the shelves in America to sell ww but Whitney had no hits on that album period. Janet on the other hand did, she just didn't use them in the beginning so i'm not surprised at TVR selling 10 million. Whitney's album i'm very surprised.

huh?????? Had no hits????? Joe. Sir. 

"Heartbreak Hotel" reached #2 on Billboard 100 and went platinum! Lol how was that not a hit??????

"Its Not Right but Its Okay" reached #4 and it went gold. How was that not a hit?

"Your Love Is My Love" peaked at #4 and certified platinum! How was that now a hit?????? 

Hell i remember all those singles being in HEAVY ROTATION back then...i dnt kno what planet u were living on at the time. Those songs were all over radio. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

80s was Madonna's peak. She was struggling in the 90s and #1s ALWAYS meant something no matter what decade of music. Still means "something" today. Its just not the only way to determine what a successful project is. 

Adele ‘19’ peaked at #4 on Billboard.. Was that a flop? It sold 8m copies worldwide; 3M in the US 

Madonna had quite a few hits in the 90s. Multi platinum albums as well. Soooo

1 hour ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Adele ‘19’ peaked at #4 on Billboard.. Was that a flop? It sold 8m copies worldwide; 3M in the US 

Madonna had quite a few hits in the 90s. Multi platinum albums as well. Soooo

Ummm.. I was saying #1s always mean something as in, bragging rights in the industry....i had already said being #1 is not ONLY thing to measure success by. So what was your Adele music history lesson for? 

And Duh, we know she had a few hits and multiplat albums but she was a stronger force in the 80s. She sold more albums then. You said she was at her peak in the 90s...no, she was on the decline. Janet and Mariah were at their peak in the 90s.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

We all know tvr isnt a flop lol at the time it was considered one. Tvr ended dpin 10 mill ww or something like that. Ppl were calling it a flop at first cus of the slow sales but it picked up after TA and IGL

I don't think this applies to Europe at all tbh. Fans tend to forget she is a global superstar and Got till it's gone received heavy rotation on MTV UK and did well on the charts. 

8 hours ago, janetDAYZ said:

Ummm.. I was saying #1s always mean something as in, bragging rights in the industry....i had already said being #1 is not ONLY thing to measure success by. So what was your Adele music history lesson for? 

And Duh, we know she had a few hits and multiplat albums but she was a stronger force in the 80s. She sold more albums then. You said she was at her peak in the 90s...no, she was on the decline. Janet and Mariah were at their peak in the 90s.

I wouldn’t say decline. She had a steady successful career in the 90s

7 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Not really, “Erotica” was considered a HUGE flop in the early 90s because of the massive backlash she received because of her SEX Book. That’s why she released “Bedtime Stories” to clean up her image two years later. But the album’s sales were STILL very underwhelming compared to her incredible 80s success! Honestly, it wasn’t until Ray of Light in ‘98 where her career finally recovered both commercially and critically because of how ahead of its time the album was. 

Mariah and Janet were the first and second most successful artists of the decade according to billboard. Madonna as well as Micheal had some hits during that decade for sure but everyone knows the 80s were their peak! I mean they were a phenomenon! 😳😱

10 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

If she wasnt as successful as the previous decade that is called a DECLINE no matter how you wanna slice, cut, shape or bake the pie. In that kind of industry you are only as good as your last project. Period. She was steady but she had lost her step once the 90s hit and thats why Mariah and Janet was ale to be the two most successful artist of the 90s

8 hours ago, Lutfa said:

I don't think this applies to Europe at all tbh. Fans tend to forget she is a global superstar and Got till it's gone received heavy rotation on MTV UK and did well on the charts. 

We are talking about in America lol we live in america over here. That was how ppl were looking at TVR project (at first) ... Over here GTIG was def present on mtv but the album was a slow burn at first. GTIG was not selling the album as fast as her previous albums. Im very aware that Europe and TVR project went hand and hand. She opended up TVR tour over there..and i remember it selling out all nights and all the tv specials surrounding her opening her tour over there. In fact when i think of TVR project Europe is the first thing that comes to mind cus i seen yall embrace her in a way during that era unlike before or post that era. 

34 minutes ago, janetDAYZ said:

If she wasnt as successful as the previous decade that is called a DECLINE no matter how you wanna slice, cut, shape or bake the pie. In that kind of industry you are only as good as your last project. Period. She was steady but she had lost her step once the 90s hit and thats why Mariah and Janet was ale to be the two most successful artist of the 90s

Erotic was a flop.. but she outsold that with Bedtime Stories and then outsold both with the next album (1998)... I would say that’s steady and not a decline 

5 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Erotic was a flop.. but she outsold that with Bedtime Stories and then outsold both with the next album (1998)... I would say that’s steady and not a decline 

I get what youre saying. That she had one flop but with each album after she slowly sold more and more. But her sales didnt match her 80s sales. Thats a decrease in numbers. 

Decrease = Decline

She was a leading force in the 80s but not the 90s. So to me that means you have declined cus you didnt hold ur spot. "steady" doesnt mean that your success matches the decade prior bc it simply didnt so thats a decrease = DECLINE.

On 8/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Let’s think of the times.. An album going #1 didn’t mean much in the 80s & 90s... Madonna didn’t have a #1 album in the 90s and that was her career peak

What lol? No it wasn’t 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:17 PM, janetDAYZ said:

Thats what i always thought was strange how Janet's songs performed well in different markets but may not have been embraced overall, globally. Its like "if its a hit there, then it was a miss over here." type of thing. It still strikes me as odd that it took for her to get to TVR era to produce such an international hit. Soooo many great singles between Control era - janet.era like how tf did she not have more hits across the globe? Like why didnt the RN era perform that well in the UK? 

TTWLG is defs enough to be considered a global hit.

She also didn’t do that bad with a few ‘Control’ singles 

Otherwise you’re right 

• Upvote 1