Do you believe Damita Jo album wouldve been the year's best selling album

jinthahouse

Do you believe Janet's Damita Jo album would've over sold confessions album by usher and have more number one songs than that album(Just A Little While, I Want You and All Nite(Dont Stop) wouldve been number ones on the Hot 100 and globally. 

I think it wouldve been her biggest era since RN TBH. She was youthful and reinvented herself to the younger generation.

Also the songs I mentioned WERE SO IN TREND AT THAT TIME. Especially I Want You being the urban R&B Crooner like My Boo by Usher and Alicia Keys and Just A Little While(being the pop rock like Lindsey Lohan or Hilary Duff esque song as well as All Nite(Dont Stop) being the urban Toxic and Goodies.

Honestly I have never seen anyone have a youthfull attitude and youth pop appeal like Janet up at that time. Nowadays Beyonce is respected as an artist but doesnt give me that youthful vibe she once did in her teens

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jakob said:

Wasn't Just A Little While projected to be a possible #1? Plus, Janet had #1s on all her albums from Control til All For You, and Damita Jo could've easily had 1 or 2 number one songs on the Billboard Hot 100 as well. 

:lmao: Delusional fans will tell you it was “soaring up the charts” before the blacklist... it was not 

Fans would tell you it was being playing a lot on radio... sure.. bc of the controversy

Usher’s Confessions album was #1 for several weeks.. beating out Janet

19 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

:lmao: Delusional fans will tell you it was “soaring up the charts” before the blacklist... it was not 

Fans would tell you it was being playing a lot on radio... sure.. bc of the controversy

@Jakob asked wasnt those songs PROJECTED TO BE n.1. He didnt say it was soaring up the charts

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Well. You can imagine how well the songs would've done on the charts in the US if Viacom didn't blacklist the singles. 

3 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Well. You can imagine how well the songs would've done on the charts in the US if Viacom didn't blacklist the singles. 

No. I can’t. All singles from DJ were 🗑 

41 minutes ago, jinthahouse said:

@Jakob asked wasnt those songs PROJECTED TO BE n.1. He didnt say it was soaring up the charts

I answered the question

17 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

No. I can’t. All singles from DJ were 🗑 

I answered the question

Uhm. What YOU think about the singles is not really important. Wasn't it Billboard that wrote a review about JALW saying it was most likely going to be a hit? And why wouldn't the singles be succesful? All her 1986-2001 albums had big hits, so why not the Damita Jo album? The songs totally fit in the 2004 sound so radio and TV would've definitely played it. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jakob said:

why wouldn't the singles be succesful? All her 1986-2001 albums had big hits, so why not the Damita Jo album? The songs totally fit in the 2004 sound so radio and TV would've definitely played it. 

Because the singles from DJ are trash... JALW, IWY, AN(ds)... 🗑

The era you described didn’t have too many cooks and created the classic Janet sound... DJ went outside that scope and not in a good way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Because the singles from DJ are trash... JALW, IWY, AN(ds)... 🗑

The era you described didn’t have too many cooks and created the classic Janet sound... DJ went outside that scope and not in a good way

I really have to disagree with you this time around. 

Imagine this: The Superbowl stunt with the exposed bra went as it was supposed to happen. Radio and TV (MTV, VH1) played the singles. The singles reached AT LEAST the top 10 (note: the reviews were positive; radio & tv would've picked up the singles). Due to the successful singles there would've been at least 1 more music video, Janet would've gone on the Damita Jo World Tour and the singles were all over radio. 

The reason some fans dislike the Damita Jo, 20 Y.O. and Discipline era is NOT because the records were "bad" but because mainstream radio and tv didn't pick it up so it never got as huge as the 1986-2001 albums. As fans we probably would've liked the album better if it did very well and was all over radio and tv. 

5 minutes ago, Jakob said:

I really have to disagree with you this time around. 

The reason some fans dislike the Damita Jo, 20 Y.O. and Discipline era is NOT because the records were "bad" 

I’m not here for what-if scenarios. 

That’s exactly why actually, for me. Damita Jo was subpar bc Janet decided to work with people who she doesn’t work well with. 20 was bad bc of JD... Discipline was shit bc Janet decided to be lazy and not work with Jimmy/Terry. Not to mention the oversexual themes and promo (unnecessary at that point of her career) 

Your theory is wrong due to Unbreakable being her best album since 2001 and it had zero hits and minimal radio spins (as if that mattered)

7 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

I’m not here for what-if scenarios. 

That’s exactly why actually, for me. Damita Jo was subpar bc Janet decided to work with people who she doesn’t work well with. 20 was bad bc of JD... Discipline was shit bc Janet decided to be lazy and not work with Jimmy/Terry. Not to mention the oversexual themes and promo (unnecessary at that point of her career) 

Your theory is wrong due to Unbreakable being her best album since 2001 and it had zero hits and minimal radio spins (as if that mattered)

Great albums don't always equal success. I'm not saying Damita Jo is her best album, it's just that Damita Jo and its era would've been much bigger if Jan wasn't blacklisted. It doesn't matter how you feel about the songs. The reviews were really good. 

12 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Great albums don't always equal success. I'm not saying Damita Jo is her best album, it's just that Damita Jo and its era would've been much bigger if Jan wasn't blacklisted. It doesn't matter how you feel about the songs. The reviews were really good. 

Correct. Unbreakable is the only Janet album that that applies to

Damita Jo sold what it should have sold. It’s not her best or worst (Discipline or Dreamstreet are her worst) but Damita Jo & 20 are not better than anything from 1986-2001 & 2015

Honestly, it’s hard to determine the possible successful trajectory of Damita Jo outside of the immense backlash she faced. All we know is that the album would have sold more and had greater hits if not for the campaign by the media to keep her music from playlists, radio, MTV, etc.  

Then again, “Confessions” was so freakin’ huge!!! It sold over a million its first week n it’s second week sales were still bigger than Janet’s first week sales of DJ. I honestly don’t think Damita Jo had a chance either way. 😳🤔 I could see the album selling maybe over 9 million worldwide and getting a hit or two but let’s be real, even All For You’s first week sales were over 600,000, her biggest first week sales ever!! Maybe Damita Jo could have sold close to 800,000 its first week at most but sales would have steadily declined in the US where as a Confessions was BIG throughout the year in sales! Who knows really??? 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Correct. Unbreakable is the only Janet album that that applies to

Damita Jo sold what it should have sold. It’s not her best or worst (Discipline or Dreamstreet are her worst) but Damita Jo & 20 are not better than anything from 1986-2001 & 2015

It deserved better. Much better. And we both know sales would've been much bigger and the singles would've done much better. Radio and TV airplay is everything.

All the naysayers sound stupid right about now. Janet was the hugest thing in the media. Any and every station and media outlet was playing her music and discussing her. Just A Little While was in the top 5 of all major radio station playlists and it was on it's way to hitting no.1 or the top 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 until she got banned. Janet wasn't selling less and less. AFY album was on it's way to 10 million plus before Virgin stopped the promotion for Mariah and ended up getting what they deserved. Come On Get Up was gonna be the next single and it was already been played on radio stations til Virgin became idiots. Anyway Damita Jo would've definitely sold if Janet wasn't dumb enough to no tour right after the Superbowl like everybody else smh. :( 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Again, Janet was doing really well outside the US and nobody cared about her boob but Americans. JALW received more airplay than AFY. You could not miss it. Every station played once an hour, at least. Once it was deemed a flop in the states the bandwagon effect happened and radio didn't play much of the other singles, tho All Nite was a minor dance hit in Europe as well. The media might've had a field day on her situation but she was making a shitload of money at that point. 

As Janet herself said, it was the music. Jimmy said he thinks she should've not been making new music when she had nothing new going on in her life. Members here calling naysayers delusional are calling Janet delusional.... I personally like a few songs on the album, but my own opinion has nothing to do with this. DJ did much better than expected, especially overseas. 20 YO is when it truly was the music to blame.