Do you believe Damita Jo album wouldve been the year's best selling album

jinthahouse

With that first single?  Absolutely not.  And the quality overall just wasn't there - very phoned-in work.  Now, I think when All Nite hit, the album would have definitely had a spike if the controversy had not existed- similar  to when Together Again dropped from TVR.  All Nite was just begging to be a big hit - literally everyone I know (non fans) that heard that song, loved it.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Lutfa said:

Again, Janet was doing really well outside the US and nobody cared about her boob but Americans. JALW received more airplay than AFY. You could not miss it. Every station played once an hour, at least. Once it was deemed a flop in the states the bandwagon effect happened and radio didn't play much of the other singles, tho All Nite was a minor dance hit in Europe as well. The media might've had a field day on her situation but she was making a shitload of money at that point. 

As Janet herself said, it was the music. Jimmy said he thinks she should've not been making new music when she had nothing new going on in her life. Members here calling naysayers delusional are calling Janet delusional.... I personally like a few songs on the album, but my own opinion has nothing to do with this. DJ did much better than expected, especially overseas. 20 YO is when it truly was the music to blame. 

Bc of the Super Bowl

I agree with the rest

9 hours ago, Lutfa said:

Again, Janet was doing really well outside the US and nobody cared about her boob but Americans. JALW received more airplay than AFY. You could not miss it. Every station played once an hour, at least. Once it was deemed a flop in the states the bandwagon effect happened and radio didn't play much of the other singles, tho All Nite was a minor dance hit in Europe as well. The media might've had a field day on her situation but she was making a shitload of money at that point. 

As Janet herself said, it was the music. Jimmy said he thinks she should've not been making new music when she had nothing new going on in her life. Members here calling naysayers delusional are calling Janet delusional.... I personally like a few songs on the album, but my own opinion has nothing to do with this. DJ did much better than expected, especially overseas. 20 YO is when it truly was the music to blame. 

But you'd think it would have yielded a stronger chart position *shrugs*

Though the singles performed a little better abroad, it just didn't do enough to warrant Janet perhaps investing more into those market. Despite the backlash, the US was still DJ's most successful market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bu. said:

How can something that wasn’t released be expected to sell x amount? Predictions mean nothing. 

Based on sales of previous albums + promotion of current album 

clearly they didnt anticipate a blacklisting 

it would be interesting to see where Janet’s career would’ve gone had she not been blacklisted

11 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Janet was on a decline to begin with. I would have never assumed, between 2002-2004.. pre-blacklist, that her next album was going to sell more copies than her previous and greatest album of the 2000s

All for You could’ve easily outsold TVR had Janet not canceled her tour. That being said, it’s not hard to assume (with the super bowl + SNL + world tour + regular Janet style promotion from Virgin) that DJ would outsell AFY 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Janet was on a decline to begin with. I would have never assumed, between 2002-2004.. pre-blacklist, that her next album was going to sell more copies than her previous and greatest album of the 2000s

Uhm... How exactly was she on a decline? All For You gave her two (!) #1 hits and a #3 hit on the Hot 100 in her mid-30s! The success of All For You was probably why Damita Jo was predicted to be a success as well. Then the Viacom-boycott started (also in large parts of Europe!) and everything changed.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, janet.1814 said:

All for You could’ve easily outsold TVR had Janet not canceled her tour. That being said, it’s not hard to assume (with the super bowl + SNL + world tour + regular Janet style promotion from Virgin) that DJ would outsell AFY 

EXACTLY 

Just now, Dominique Laveau said:

When all else fails...blame the Super Bowl or Gil or Jermaine Dupri.

It's never the music or Janet :unsure:

It WAS because of the Super Bowl. Thats not just our little theory here as fans, but it's factual. 

11 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Uhm... How exactly was she on a decline? All For You gave her two (!) #1 hits and a #3 hit on the Hot 100 in her mid-30s! The success of All For You was probably why Damita Jo was predicted to be a success as well. Then the Viacom-boycott started (also in large parts of Europe!) and everything changed.

Album sales. Each album sold less than the previous 

1 minute ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Her music was trash between 2004-2014 compared to 1986-2001 & 2015 sooo :umm: 

Trash? Maybe in your opinion, but she still managed to go platinum in 2004, and in 2006, and hit a top 20 in 2008

compared to her nontrash music in 2015+

2 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Album sales. Each album sold less than the previous 

Sales don't always equal success. Plus, literally everyones album sales decline. 

TVR era got Janet 1 #1 hit

AFY era got Janet 2 #1 hits 💁🏻‍♂️

It's likely, with the previous success, that Damita Jo might've got Janet one more #1 Hot 100 hit. Like @janet.1814 says, things like a world tour and the Superbowl shouldve made Janets exposure on the charts even bigger (which results in higher sales)

4 minutes ago, janet.1814 said:

Trash? Maybe in your opinion, but she still managed to go platinum in 2004, and in 2006, and hit a top 20 in 2008

compared to her nontrash music in 2015+

Lmfao y’all wild 

DJ went platinum bc of the Super Bowl exposure. Huge first week sales! Then what? 20 YO.. idk how it “shipped” platinum. Lost the #1 spot to some hasbeen rapper 

Disappointment doesn’t matter. Claiming a Top 20 hit was pretty sad in 2008 and even more pathetic in 2019

2 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Sales don't always equal success. Plus, literally everyones album sales decline. 

TVR era got Janet 1 #1 hit

AFY era got Janet 2 #1 hits 💁🏻‍♂️

It's likely, with the previous success, that Damita Jo might've got Janet one more #1 Hot 100 hit. Like @janet.1814 says, things like a world tour and the Superbowl shouldve made Janets exposure on the charts even bigger (which results in higher sales)

And sales shouldn’t be the only thing being focused on, it’s an entire picture 

L

2 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Lmfao y’all wild 

DJ went platinum bc of the Super Bowl exposure. Huge first week sales! Then what? 20 YO.. idk how it “shipped” platinum. Lost the #1 spot to some hasbeen rapper 

Disappointment doesn’t matter. Claiming a Top 20 hit was pretty sad now and in 2008

The point was that sales and album placement don’t determine what’s trash and what’s not bc her music that u call trash did better then the music you deem good....furthermore, she’s still performing ANDS, Feedback, Moist, Ruff, RWU....so clearly she doesn’t think it’s trash 

AND at her shows, when they play her unreleased tracks from the decade u call trash, the crowd gets the most hype 

5 minutes ago, Rock & Roll Hall of Game said:

Right which is my logic 

I can’t defend against your fantasy la la world. I can only defend the truth 

Its not my fantasy world, my friend. At 37, Janet had a #2 album (consider that Usher was #1 and the hot new thing atm) which is not bad at all. Of course, people bought the album after the Superbowl hysteria but the singles were pretty much only bought by the fans because radio didn't support. Thats why she peaked at #45 and #57 on the Hot 100. Without big airplay. You need radio and tv support (Viacom) and non-fans to buy the music too.