Jump to content

Does anyone else feel like the hype for Beyoncé is sometimes inorganic?


Recommended Posts

I'm a huge fan of hers, and I think she is in fact one of the greatest acts of her generation. But I feel like there's been this industry agenda to force her onto this level with acts like Whitney and MJ and it just doesn't seem organic. Like people in real life never actually acknowledge her as someone as popular as they ever were.

I know she's been caught stealing in music on just about every album. Then she's been caught stealing choreography for music videos and tv and tour performances from YouTube videos and famous theatre productions. (Don't steal so obviously, at least be smart with it lmao). And then when she started saying she transitioned to an "albums artist" her sales took a pretty steep turn south. She's obviously a huge name, but it's just weird how the industry pushes her as this larger than life celebrity when during her peaks acts like Britney, Eminem, Usher, Justin, Ashanti, Alicia were outselling her or selling just as much as her. Then as she continued as a lot of those acts stayed just as strong as her, and newer acts like Drake, Adele (she's special but she does fit the bill), Justin, have been outdoing her in just about every metric too.

I'm not saying she's an industry plant or a fully manufactured artist, I just think at least 50% of the hype surrounding her name is... fake. Idk if fake is the right term, but you get it. Like the industry is telling us her music is revolutionary and she's this once in a lifetime artist and has reached heights no one else has when her own peers have outdone her, not to mention older acts like Tina, MJ, Janet, Whitney, Madonna, Prince... it just feels like it's being crammed down our throats instead of the public and us common people ourselves hyping her.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And since we're here, I think it's accurate to say her self-titled album did have impact with increasing surprise drops and visual albums. But even then, that seems about it. She doesn't really have much influence musically, she seems more like a celebrity at this point. She has several classic songs under her belt tho. Anyone else feel this way? I think it's been biting her in the butt recently with stadium shows not sold out, both her last 2 projects underperforming/flopping... she's gonna have to rebrand herself cuz the Hive, we getting a bit weak lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • king_c changed the title to Does anyone else feel like the hype for Beyoncé is inorganic?
34 minutes ago, king_c said:

I'm a huge fan of hers, and I think she is in fact one of the greatest acts of her generation. But I feel like there's been this industry agenda to force her onto this level with acts like Whitney and MJ and it just doesn't seem organic. Like people in real life never actually acknowledge her as someone as popular as they ever were.

I'm gonna stop you there. -_- 

To mostly everyone I know IRL and social media (like, personal social media) Beyoncé is THE star. She is universally acknowledged to be in a different league than any other contemporary artist and the closest we have to someone of MJ or Whitney's caliber. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Aquaria said:

I'm gonna stop you there. -_- 

To mostly everyone I know IRL and social media (like, personal social media) Beyoncé is THE star. She is universally acknowledged to be in a different league than any other contemporary artist and the closest we have to someone of MJ or Whitney's caliber. 

Really? I'm one of the only Beyhive I know irl. Everyone I know treats her like A star, but not THE star. We just don't have one right now. 

And the thing about MJ and Whitney is that they influenced every single artist after them. We have to go back to artists who were fully developed when Bey first went solo to find artists like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • king_c changed the title to Does anyone else feel like the hype for Beyoncé is sometimes inorganic?

I like Beyonce and her music, and she has a great singing voice and looks great. But I see her more as a record company product than an original artist. She has her name on her songs but has she really composed them other than adding a few words here and there. I think she's had a huge team behind her who has designed her career and looks. Her team has copied coreographies and styles from other artists which is not nice. However, many artists do this so she isn't the only one doing it. I wouldn't regard her legendary yet in the same way I see MJ, Tina Turner, Madonna, Freddie Mercury or Prince. She would need a longer career for that. Time will tell how it turns out for her.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Beyoncé’s music has been slowly losing relevancy/falling apart without Matthew Knowles but only people who pay close attention know. Her label gave up on her years ago. Adele is the Queen of Columbia Records now.  Her main A&R, Teresa, left her after Lemonade. Beyonce doesn’t know how to pick a hit song and she doesn’t bring great returns in terms of record sales or chart hits for how expensive her albums are to make (videos, writing  camps, sampling) which is why she pays for this stuff herself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how some of y'all in here acting like Janet don't exist. Beyonce doesn't give me anything related to MJ or Whitney. In fact as much as she's like she is disliked just as much. There literally used to be Beyonce hate websites for her. She is definitely trying to paint this picture as if she's on their level. She's never sold as many albums as either of them including Janet. She only has 1 album that sold over 12 million copies. She doesn't have organic music that stands the test of time. IMO she just doesn't compare and idc how much people try to hype her up. I noticed after her sales started getting lower and lower she entered herself into this "elite" status by doing what Janet and Michael did which is trying seclude herself from the public eye. There used to be a time when she made sure she was always in the spotlight. Nothing she does intrigues me cause most of it has already been done.🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya’ll need to understand that Beyonce is a profitable GOLD MINE!!! The light skinned black woman with THE crossover look and massive appeal!!! Let’s be real!!! Beyoncé’s record sales in the digital era have been decent at best. But she is not the inventive record seller of her Idols before (Janet!) Beyoncé’s popularity is LEGENDARY, but her work isn’t ground breaking or innovative. Highly creative and visually breathtaking at times but only her last 2 studio albums have been considered staples in music history. She was purely a singles artist like her peers. Let’s face it, Beyonce has a worldwide draw to her that makes her internationally marketable. That’s why she sells out stadiums. But come on....Beyonce is an Icon, NOT a legend. I’m sorry.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think for Millennials, Beyonce is the biggest star of her generation.  What she has over the folks you mentioned is longevity.  The others fizzled out while she still remained relevant and that helped to grow her name/story.  Do I think she has a big machine behind her?  Yes, but she's used it to her benefit so more power to her.  Personally, I think she's a fantastic performer, good singer, and good dancer.  Her music isn't for me and hasn't been for me in many years, but I respect her hustle and work ethic to do what she needed to do to become BEYONCE.  My iPhone even corrects the proper spelling of her name which says a lot about her stature.  It'll be interesting to see what happens to her as she continues to age and what she continues to do as Pop music is very fickle with women, but Beyonce has been consistent.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Angela said:

I do think for Millennials, Beyonce is the biggest star of her generation.  What she has over the folks you mentioned is longevity.  The others fizzled out while she still remained relevant and that helped to grow her name/story.  Do I think she has a big machine behind her?  Yes, but she's used it to her benefit so more power to her.  Personally, I think she's a fantastic performer, good singer, and good dancer.  Her music isn't for me and hasn't been for me in many years, but I respect her hustle and work ethic to do what she needed to do to become BEYONCE.  My iPhone even corrects the proper spelling of her name which says a lot about her stature.  It'll be interesting to see what happens to her as she continues to age and what she continues to do as Pop music is very fickle with women, but Beyonce has been consistent.

I get what you're saying but she's been consistent with what? Her last few projects after Diet Squirt all flopped and she's had no hits until jumping on Megan's track Savage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

I get what you're saying but she's been consistent with what? Her last few projects after Diet Squirt all flopped and she's had no hits until jumping on Megan's track Savage.

Staying relevant.   Think about it:  Single Ladies came out in the late 2000s.  Think of the artists that were out at the time.  How many of them are still being talked about in the same breath and reverence as Beyonce?  That's staying power regardless of how she performed on the charts.  She's starting to age out of Pop Culture, so her sales won't be the same; however, she's managed to still be talked about.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2020 at 11:38 PM, Gigi said:

She’s going to start getting dragged even more being in her 40s and releasing immature music.

 

 

She been doing that for years now already. Her music just doesn't stand the test of time. It's all music made for kids in high sschool

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 3:58 AM, JoeJoe said:

She been doing that for years now already. Her music just doesn't stand the test of time. It's all music made for kids in high sschool

Some of her hits have. Songs like Crazy In Love, Baby Boy, Halo, Single Ladies, Ego, Love On Top, Party are rnb classics. I think the issue is while her albums got better, the individual tracks got worse. Compare her 2000s hits to her 2010s hits and you see everything after 4 just went south. Like Formation, Drunk In Love, Mine, 7/11, Sorry, Hold Up are all fun songs, but who's gonna remember those outside the Beyhive? But let's be honest. All the other R&B artists who started in the early 2000s have faded except for her. So for the early 2000s R&B acts, she's up there amongst if not at the top. And another thing, what other acts from her time are making music that's just as good now? Alicia's not making classic albums anymore. Ashanti hasn't in over a decade. Mario, Chris Brown, Ne Yo... nope. So she fits with the rest of them musically, in that sense. Now put her in a verzuz against them, she wins. Now against 90s artists? I don't think so, but compare her to her own peers and she definitely stands out amongst the top.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...