Would the album go #1?

EphraimAdamz

4 hours ago, EphraimAdamz said:

If we still got the album during the pandemic would we have made it go number 1 is the real question?

Probably, but it's a risk. She wouldn't be able to promote it properly. I'd rather wait six more months or even longer if that meant good promo and a #1 album. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a vaccine by Spring, so she can go on tour in Summer 2021 and release the album right before that. 💁🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Child at this point, if a video was or has been shot, just release it with album simultaneously!!!! Have Janet and Bruno promote via Zoom interviews!!! Honestly we have absolutely NO idea when this pandemic will officially end; meaning the show might as well go on and work with the severe limitations given the circumstances. I’m sure by this point Janet just as or even more patient than we are so hopefully we’ll hear something soon. 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️💀

I've never heard anyone say "Ooh, Janet is going on tour, let me buy her album." The tour is being used as an excuse not to do anything. If they strategically timed it out so it was released during a slow week combined with releasing a number of variant physical releases and thought out merchandise a la Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, etc... she could easily have a number one. Toni Braxton's first week numbers suffered severely because it was initially a digital only release and her fan base, like Janet's, still buy CD's and vinyl. 

I don't foresee Janet being able to tour again until at least 2022. If she was going to tour next year Live Nation would have postponed the dates instead of issuing refunds.  They've already rescheduled a number of tours for 2021 and it's still questionable whether those will actually proceed.  It's time for Janet and her team to come up with another game plan that doesn't initially involve touring. Release the music and instead of focusing on a single, promote it as a body of work. I'm curious to see how Alicia Keys does this week. She's been highly visible during this pandemic and is still performing and releasing visuals. Her numbers will be limited like Toni's though since her album is not physically in stores yet.

On 9/20/2020 at 1:48 AM, Lenzo88 said:

Child at this point, if a video was or has been shot, just release it with album simultaneously!!!! Have Janet and Bruno promote via Zoom interviews!!! Honestly we have absolutely NO idea when this pandemic will officially end; meaning the show might as well go on and work with the severe limitations given the circumstances. I’m sure by this point Janet just as or even more patient than we are so hopefully we’ll hear something soon. 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️💀

And we can always blame the pandemic if shit hits the fan 😆

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, amplifiedmarco said:

I've never heard anyone say "Ooh, Janet is going on tour, let me buy her album." The tour is being used as an excuse not to do anything. If they strategically timed it out so it was released during a slow week combined with releasing a number of variant physical releases and thought out merchandise a la Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, etc... she could easily have a number one. Toni Braxton's first week numbers suffered severely because it was initially a digital only release and her fan base, like Janet's, still buy CD's and vinyl. 

I don't foresee Janet being able to tour again until at least 2022. If she was going to tour next year Live Nation would have postponed the dates instead of issuing refunds.  They've already rescheduled a number of tours for 2021 and it's still questionable whether those will actually proceed.  It's time for Janet and her team to come up with another game plan that doesn't initially involve touring. Release the music and instead of focusing on a single, promote it as a body of work. I'm curious to see how Alicia Keys does this week. She's been highly visible during this pandemic and is still performing and releasing visuals. Her numbers will be limited like Toni's though since her album is not physically in stores yet.

I agree with this, but the reverse.... put out 3-4 singles and music videos over a 9 month span then release the full album. Because of the way streaming algorithms work it's best to do it that way because all the single sales/streams go towards the final album numbers.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:33 PM, EphraimAdamz said:

I agree with this, but the reverse.... put out 3-4 singles and music videos over a 9 month span then release the full album. Because of the way streaming algorithms work it's best to do it that way because all the single sales/streams go towards the final album numbers.

This is true. I don't think she really needs to play the streaming game since she's nowhere close to being an artist of the streaming era (mid 2010s onward) but we do live in a singles oriented industry where singles on average perform much better before the album drops than after. I think this is because with streaming, everyone can listen to and already know the song before you release it as an official single. I think there was one or two songs that went #1 before even being officially released as singles in the past couple years, so if she gets a good 2 or 3 singles pre-drop we should be good. Let's pray Janet extends her reign as not only the first black artist with #1 albums in 4 decades, but 5 🥺

On 9/19/2020 at 4:52 PM, Jakob said:

Probably, but it's a risk. She wouldn't be able to promote it properly. I'd rather wait six more months or even longer if that meant good promo and a #1 album. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a vaccine by Spring, so she can go on tour in Summer 2021 and release the album right before that. 💁🏻‍♂️ 

She had her chance for promo. Why start now