Slant Ranks Janet’s Albums

Lenzo88

13 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Opposite. LAMBF and FY are snoozefests. Those two and CGYLTM are the only ehh tracks. Everything else is pretty good for what the songs are. 

The positive is that there are no particularly bad songs, they just aren't remarkable. Even if they didn't want her to take any risks, the songwriting could have been stronger. I'll say that a good 7" version of SYD would have slapped.

I took a first time listen to Dream Street and let me tell you:

This is arguably Janet's most underrated album. I was bopping to so many songs on the album. It seems that the executives decided to try to up the tempo from the first album and I felt to paid off. It has less ballads and they aren't as strong (Two to the Power of Love is quite bad). But the dance number are definite bangers. Highlights for me are Can't Stand Another Chance, Pretty Boy and All my Love to You.

Dream Street is definitely not worthy of being a punchline. It's better than a lot of the urban contemporary music of that time, and it definitely showed strong potential. It would put it 7th, above Damita Jo, 20YO, Discipline, the debut. There was at least somewhat of a concept that the executives committed to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/29/2020 at 1:30 PM, vibeology said:

wrestling beat up GIF

😆

3 hours ago, Illi said:

I took a first time listen to Dream Street and let me tell you:

This is arguably Janet's most underrated album. I was bopping to so many songs on the album. It seems that the executives decided to try to up the tempo from the first album and I felt to paid off. It has less ballads and they aren't as strong (Two to the Power of Love is quite bad). But the dance number are definite bangers. Highlights for me are Can't Stand Another Chance, Pretty Boy and All my Love to You.

Dream Street is definitely not worthy of being a punchline. It's better than a lot of the urban contemporary music of that time, and it definitely showed strong potential. It would put it 7th, above Damita Jo, 20YO, Discipline, the debut. There was at least somewhat of a concept that the executives committed to.

Sorry but no album Janet had no part in producing or executive producing is gonna be below the 2 albums her daddy had her do and sing music she didn't wanna sing.

3 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

😆

Sorry but no album Janet had no part in producing or executive producing is gonna be below the 2 albums her daddy had her do and sing music she didn't wanna sing.

I perhaps DJ could be switched only because it would make decent lo-key project, but 20Yo and Discipline can at times sound like something  he daddy might as well make her sing.

But at the end of the day, I agree with some fans' take: She has no bad albums, some subpar ones, but no bad ones.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:05 AM, Illi said:

The positive is that there are no particularly bad songs, they just aren't remarkable. Even if they didn't want her to take any risks, the songwriting could have been stronger. I'll say that a good 7" version of SYD would have slapped.

That's one thing I can say about the debut. The "ehh" songs aren't bad, they're just not as good as the others. And for that reason, I hold that 20YO isn't too much better than the debut. 

• Upvote 1

Had Janet took the best songs from the first two albums, she would've had a very solid lead up to Control.

Say You Do

Young Love

Don't Mess Up This Good Thing

Don't Stand Another Chance

Pretty Boy

Hold Back the Tears

All My Love to You

You'll Never Find (A Love Like Mine)

Forever Yours

• Upvote 2