Slant Ranks Janet’s Albums

Lenzo88

6 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

Slant Magazine just released their official ranking of her discography in anticipation of “Black Diamond” since it’s unfortunately being put on hold for an unknown period of time because of the pandemic.

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/every-janet-jackson-album-ranked/

Damn they really did that to 20 Y.O.😄

8 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

Slant Magazine just released their official ranking of her discography in anticipation of “Black Diamond” since it’s unfortunately being put on hold for an unknown period of time because of the pandemic.

https://www.slantmagazine.com/music/every-janet-jackson-album-ranked/

Now this is the real deal.. I totally agree with their number one VR  and dream street/20 as bottom feeders.. I would've exchanged DJ with Unbreakable..

1 hour ago, GTIG said:

Now this is the real deal.. I totally agree with their number one VR  and dream street/20 as bottom feeders.. I would've exchanged DJ with Unbreakable..

I think I would too. I like DJ better. I think they're only ranking Unbreakable higher due to it being more deep than DJ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jinthahouse said:

Now had the superbowl thing didnt happen, I think DJ would've ranked as one of her best and successful records and be a favorite among the fans. 

It definitely would've and I hate when fans say otherwise just because it didn't do well. It didn't do well ONLY BECAUSE OF THE SUPERBOWL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jinthahouse said:

Now had the superbowl thing didnt happen, I think DJ would've ranked as one of her best and successful records and be a favorite among the fans. 

No. The initial reception would have been a little better but it wouldn't  be seen as a critical smash. Same thing about the success. There would still be an inevitable decline, but not as bad as it became.

And even then those albums did modestly.

6 hours ago, vibeology said:

angry bitch slap GIF

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Illi said:

No. The initial reception would have been a little better but it wouldn't  be seen as a critical smash. Same thing about the success. There would still be an inevitable decline, but not as bad as it became.

And even then those albums did modestly.

The initial reception would've been a little better? :lol: Just A Little While was climbing the charts on airplay alone and  it peaked atop the Hot Dance Club Songs chart. Internationally, it was more successful, reaching the top ten in Belgium, Canada, and Spain and the top twenty in Australia and The United Kingdom. It peaked at number one in Japan for five weeks, and was the year's second-biggest hit on Japan's international airplay chart. That song is one of the tracks on the album that most of us skip :lol:  The lady performed in front of more than 100 million viewers and everybody who has superbowl performances see a spike in their music sales. IDK where y'all be getting that from that the album wouldn't of done well. Why just because YOU didn't like some of the tracks? 

3 hours ago, JoeJoe said:

Thank you!

The initial reception would've been a little better? :lol: Just A Little While was climbing the charts on airplay alone and  it peaked atop the Hot Dance Club Songs chart. Internationally, it was more successful, reaching the top ten in Belgium, Canada, and Spain and the top twenty in Australia and The United Kingdom. It peaked at number one in Japan for five weeks, and was the year's second-biggest hit on Japan's international airplay chart. That song is one of the tracks on the album that most of us skip :lol:  The lady performed in front of more than 100 million viewers and everybody who has superbowl performances see a spike in their music sales. IDK where y'all be getting that from that the album wouldn't of done well. Why just because YOU didn't like some of the tracks? 

I'm not saying the it wouldn't do well per se, rather it wouldn't have done THAT well. The first week sales and charting would have been a little better, but I would not be coming for Usher, Alisha, etc. I see it doing 2 millions tops.

I'm more than aware the the singles did better abroad, but can you (not you specifically) explain why that didn't translate into better album sales, despite being promoted internationally.

32 minutes ago, Illi said:

I'm not saying the it wouldn't do well per se, rather it wouldn't have done THAT well. The first week sales and charting would have been a little better, but I would not be coming for Usher, Alisha, etc. I see it doing 2 millions tops.

I'm more than aware the the singles did better abroad, but can you (not you specifically) explain why that didn't translate into better album sales, despite being promoted internationally.

well for 1 she didn't tour and also Viacom and clearchannel which own several media outlets didn't play Janet's music or her videos and that means overseas as well. Damita Jo was predicted to outsell "All For You" which sold 8 million copies ww

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, J. said:

Janet’s first album is better than 20 yo

I'm not finna play witchu

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

Well, Slant didn't rank them. They did something, but it wasn't ranking them. :coffee:

Facts! The Velvet Rope shouldn't be no.1 period

I just listen to the first album for the first time. You could argue that this is her best vocally produced album, but on the other hand, it had the most consistantly pedestrian songs. The ballads are the highlight while the dance songs kinda dragged on a little to much for me.

I still put it below 20YO and Discipline, but it's not behind by much.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Illi said:

I just listen to the first album for the first time. You could argue that this is her best vocally produced album, but on the other hand, it had the most consistantly pedestrian songs. The ballads are the highlight while the dance songs kinda dragged on a little to much for me.

I still put it below 20YO and Discipline, but it's not behind by much.

Opposite. LAMBF and FY are snoozefests. Those two and CGYLTM are the only ehh tracks. Everything else is pretty good for what the songs are.