Is Rhythm Nation 1814 the biggest era for any female R&B artist?

king_c

On 11/16/2020 at 9:20 PM, Bailey said:

Its part of a time in her career where things were going very well, so it is listed as such, hindsight is 20/20. The Janet. album is a diamond with flaws -_- 

That is true. It's a classic, but it's not perfect like RN or TVR. One thing it definitely suffers from is being too long. Like who in the world fills HALF the album with INTERLUDES?!?! lol

It doesn’t matter when the album has some of her best singles/songs!!! TTWLG, If, Throb, This Time, etc. are faaaaarrr more creative and inventive than ANYTHING between All For You and Unbreakable. Let’s not exaggerate those flaws now when they r ONLY flaws. Janet. at least was original for Janet and not a tiresome retread like her 2004-2008 output! 😎👍🤦🏾‍♂️💀

14 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

It doesn’t matter when the album has some of her best singles/songs!!! TTWLG, If, Throb, This Time, etc. are faaaaarrr more creative and inventive than ANYTHING between All For You and Unbreakable. Let’s not exaggerate those flaws now when they r ONLY flaws. Janet. at least was original for Janet and not a tiresome retread like her 2004-2008 output! 😎👍🤦🏾‍♂️💀

great singles do not make a great cohesive album though. 

5 minutes ago, Lenzo88 said:

Neither does having nothing to say!!! 🤪😎👍

I think we should confine the discussion to the Janet albums that are highly regarded, in this case Control to AFY, it's a losing proposition to talk about the post SB work, we all know those did not hold up well, with the exception of "Unbreakable" still a very good album and Damita Jo a good album too

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think we should confine the discussion to the Janet albums that are highly regarded, in this case Control to AFY, it's a losing proposition to talk about the post SB work, we all know those did not hold up well, with the exception of "Unbreakable" still a very good album and Damita Jo a good album too

Well then that excludes Damita Jo since it’s never been acclaimed or highly regarded outside the fanbase. In fact, this unnecessary attachment to this album by the fanbase is STILL staggering. I still find it hilarious that Damita Jo, 20 Y.O. and Discipline are practically interchangeable in terms of quality but Damita Jo was terribly underrated and overshadowed because of the Super Bowl fiasco. All a retread about sex, all a retread about her ex’s, all a retread with the generic love songs, wash, rinse, repeat. Even Jimmy has said Janet came into the studio and didn’t even want to write but told Terry to write something for Damita Jo.  Jimmy was shocked and said, “Why are we even making an album then???” His words, not mine. 😅😂🤷🏾‍♂️ But do u boo. 😎👍❤️

7 hours ago, Lenzo88 said:

Well then that excludes Damita Jo since it’s never been acclaimed or highly regarded outside the fanbase. In fact, this unnecessary attachment to this album by the fanbase is STILL staggering. I still find it hilarious that Damita Jo, 20 Y.O. and Discipline are practically interchangeable in terms of quality but Damita Jo was terribly underrated and overshadowed because of the Super Bowl fiasco. All a retread about sex, all a retread about her ex’s, all a retread with the generic love songs, wash, rinse, repeat. Even Jimmy has said Janet came into the studio and didn’t even want to write but told Terry to write something for Damita Jo.  Jimmy was shocked and said, “Why are we even making an album then???” His words, not mine. 😅😂🤷🏾‍♂️ But do u boo. 😎👍❤️

Contract Janet and independent Janet are two different artists. The difference here is working for a company with deadlines and being your own boss working on your own time . All things considered Damita Jo holds up against most of her work post SB the best. that's no small feat 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...