Janet Jackson to auction off over 1,000 items including stage costumes, wedding dress and more

Bailey

I went through all the items as I got an email that it was now live and the music video outfits made me emotional, especially LWNDWY

but what surprises me is she’s selling all her plaques too. Like gold/platinum plaques. I understand having a clear out but why your achievements? Are they just material things to her? I mean I guess it doesn’t take the records away and maybe she’s comfortable knowing she’s achieved them without having to look at the plaques ? 

1 hour ago, bu. said:

I went through all the items as I got an email that it was now live and the music video outfits made me emotional, especially LWNDWY

but what surprises me is she’s selling all her plaques too. Like gold/platinum plaques. I understand having a clear out but why your achievements? Are they just material things to her? I mean I guess it doesn’t take the records away and maybe she’s comfortable knowing she’s achieved them without having to look at the plaques ? 

This is the same thing I was thinking. I would want to commemorate my achievements. So I'm not giving away my plaques. :lol:

14 hours ago, bu. said:

You received an email from?

7 hours ago, GTIG said:

You received an email from?

From Juliens Auctions. I guess I signed up years ago 

19 hours ago, Mr. Wonder said:

This is the same thing I was thinking. I would want to commemorate my achievements. So I'm not giving away my plaques. :lol:

Right? I’m a hoarder anyway but plaques I’d never get rid of. Unless she has multiple copies and she’s getting rid of the spares? I’m not sure how they work 

1 hour ago, bu. said:

Right? I’m a hoarder anyway but plaques I’d never get rid of. Unless she has multiple copies and she’s getting rid of the spares? I’m not sure how they work 

A lot of artists I've noticed tend to sell the plaques. I'm not sure why, but whatever. I guess when you have so many, you kinda start to wonder if you need every last one. I'm guessing she'll keep the ones that mean the most to her. 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:54 PM, bu. said:

I agree, but Janet said in her 1998 BET interview at her beach house that she doesn't care to display her trophies. I think she talked about how the trophies aren't an indicator of worth. That's why she puts these plaques in storage anyway.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, VelvetKnowledge1814 said:

I agree, but Janet said in her 1998 BET interview at her beach house that she doesn't care to display her trophies. I think she talked about how the trophies aren't an indicator of worth. That's why she puts these plaques in storage anyway.

Precisely. If any current artist is gonna be unbothered by their achievements, its J. I mean she may well have copies but this doesnt surprise me in the least.

Its like shedding your past and starting anew. A new era is dawning for sure.

• 2 weeks later...