Janet at Essence

She did the damn thing, it's on Youtube, the opener was great, her entrance was serving me Donna Summer teas, looks great, her outfit in the black with the sparkles looks great, the sound mixing is great, loved she gave us a taste of "So Much Betta" ....she kept it cute, lots of energy -_- 

• Like 1

I caught some of patti and all of Janet after the bar Sat night. I was sipping my wine in awe. That outfit, dancing, setlist/ Her vocals were so on point. Especially considering this was a music festival where things for artists can easily mess up. I cannot believe she doesn't have an album and tour ready to drop. She was ON it. The fire was showing.

I watched/skimmed through the whole show. Probably her best show in quite a few years. And it's clear, costume and wardrobe is a much needed element in her live performances going forward. Hopefully she recognizes this. 

But I think what's most important, is that we finally got at least something of a live performance of "Lonely". :cheer: Hopefully we'll get the full performance on the tour, or at least a snippet. She's using more of her catalog, which is good. And she's still keeping the show contemporary by adding current songs, and also blending in classic ones ("I'm In Love" for R&BJ, for example). Really just a testament of how diverse and flexible her catalog is regardless of age, race, etc. 

Now, <_<, we just need the single/album to follow. The documentary was a missed opportunity while she had media on her side. Hopefully she wont blow this chance too. :sigh:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mr. Wonder said:

I watched/skimmed through the whole show. Probably her best show in quite a few years. And it's clear, costume and wardrobe is a much needed element in her live performances going forward. Hopefully she recognizes this. 

But I think what's most important, is that we finally got at least something of a live performance of "Lonely". :cheer: Hopefully we'll get the full performance on the tour, or at least a snippet. She's using more of her catalog, which is good. And she's still keeping the show contemporary by adding current songs, and also blending in classic ones ("I'm In Love" for R&BJ, for example). Really just a testament of how diverse and flexible her catalog is regardless of age, race, etc. 

Now, <_<, we just need the single/album to follow. The documentary was a missed opportunity while she had media on her side. Hopefully she wont blow this chance too. :sigh:

I watched 42 minutes before bed so didn’t finish it.

1. Janet knows when to turn it on and when not to, not surprised she put on a good show for Essence.

2. Janet’s not spending too much money on production and costumes, she did two and had four dancers properly the least ever. That outfit was all RWY tour opener different color and sparkly, it worked 

3. yes mixing contemporary with her songs added a good touch, she’s done it before and it works

4. that catalog is excellent she brought back just enough for just long enough to wet the palate 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lenzo88 said:

I feel like Janet is once again being very cost effective. Making money instead of spending more! It would make sense since she’d want to make money for a new era if it’s coming soon!!! Independent n all!

of course and I agree with her

On 7/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, Mr. Wonder said:

I was so shocked she did "Lonely". Everybody know's that song along with "Feels So Right" and "SloLove" were the songs i've been waiting for her to perform live for for over a decade! Now she only has "SloLove" and yes I loved the transitions into the songs. I hated how her choreographer switched up the iconic "If" routine but I loved Janet using her arms again for the breakdown. She'll only do that for a big event or a sold out show. Her costume she came out with. I wish Essence would've let us hear more of the crowd instead of us barely being able to hear them and thinking they were boring because it was the total opposite. Now the girls can't say shit because Janet provided live vocals for just about all if not the whole show and still danced her ass off. Proved she's the greatest female entertainer alive. I haven't heard 1 negative review from fans or haters since the show

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, Bailey said:

I watched 42 minutes before bed so didn’t finish it.

1. Janet knows when to turn it on and when not to, not surprised she put on a good show for Essence.

2. Janet’s not spending too much money on production and costumes, she did two and had four dancers properly the least ever. That outfit was all RWY tour opener different color and sparkly, it worked 

3. yes mixing contemporary with her songs added a good touch, she’s done it before and it works

4. that catalog is excellent she brought back just enough for just long enough to wet the palate 

She gonna need to invest in production and costumes going forward for obvious reasons tbh. -_-

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late responding, but I loved this. The black catsuit looked amazing. She was dancing full out to If! I didn't think she'd ever do the arms for that breakdown again. I've heard that she stopped doing the arms because they started hurting her shoulders, but I saw no confirmation. Her doing the arms during the If breakdown for Essence and Cincinnati makes me wonder how true that rumour was. The live vocals were very good, especially since people love to critique her voice. I'm very excited for Black Diamond, whenever that might be.

I do want her to invest in better costumes from here on out, too. Her wearing jeans and a plaid top when doing the RN anniversary concert was really underwhelming to see. I'm happy she's doing deep cuts, but I want her to do more than just one verse in a song or just one line.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 10:40 PM, Bailey said:

the best part of this is watching Janet enjoy doing what she does so well :clapping: ....seeing a Jackson on stage performing after so many decades is beautiful :wub:

It truly is. Every now and then when she smiles or makes a certain move I see a glimpse of Michael in her. She and MJ truly were something else. So talented and so naturally beautiful.

• 2 months later...