Watch: Britney Spears ‘Hold It Against Me’ visual (30-sec preview)

DJ Y2K Malone™

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brit happens to be benefiting from the massive female pop movement right now. Her singles never did this well even in her prime.

Her singles started doing much better in the digital era, because they were more readily available. Before that, if I recall correctly, they often didn't do physical releases of her singles, or they were limited, because they wanted to encourage people to buy her albums. Which is why she was previously more of an albums artist.

I agree with a lot of what your saying - her contribution hasn't been in the same way as some other artists' has been. But she's still Britney, she's still and icon, and I think some people are to quick to dismiss in certain areas.

No, people are quick to give her TOO MUCH praise blinded by her popularity. I dont care if da bitch was as big as Michael Jackson..she STILL has little to NO artistry. Ya'll focus waaaay too much on numbers. There are artists who have sold alot less than her but will get MORE respect than her, musically.

Her singles started doing much better in the digital era, because they were more readily available. Before that, if I recall correctly, they often didn't do physical releases of her singles, or they were limited, because they wanted to encourage people to buy her albums. Which is why she was previously more of an albums artist.

That may be, but I think it also has the do with the musical landscape right now.

No people are quick to give her TOO MUCH praise blinded by her popularity. I dont care if da bitch was as big as Michael Jackson..she STILL has little to NO artistry. Ya'll focus waaaay too much on numbers. There are artists who have sold alot less than her but will get MORE respect than her, musically.

I think people are too quick to do things in either direction. There was a time when she was more artistically involved in her stuff, but it's been a while. I think her contributions will be remembered in different ways than the other folks you mentioned because she's a different kind of artist. There are already TONS of artists who get more respect than she does, musically, and with good reason.

But people keep counting Britney out of the game, and she stays in. Personally, I just like a lot of her output - what goes on behind the scenes doesn't affect how much I like a song. Seems to be the same for a lot of other people too.

No, people are quick to give her TOO MUCH praise blinded by her popularity. I dont care if da bitch was as big as Michael Jackson..she STILL has little to NO artistry. Ya'll focus waaaay too much on numbers. There are artists who have sold alot less than her but will get MORE respect than her, musically.

If they're only counting the now-Britney instead of the Britney we saw during her prime. She had some quality stuff out...and didn't she at least write some of her own songs?

Mike,Janet,Madonna..you can add the title of "activist" to their names. Britney? Just a POP SINGER!

period

Mike was an activist? for world piece and shit :unsure:

You can add Gaga to that list :cheers:

You just want to give Gaga credit for Brit's success. :lol:

as much as I would love to credit Gaga for everything, K-dolla, Katy and Riri are responsible as well -_- female pop is just massive right now

If they're only counting the now-Britney instead of the Britney we saw during her prime. She had some quality stuff out...and didn't she at least write some of her own songs?

Yeah, she's co-written a bunch of songs - even some on her last couple of albums. And written a couple of songs on her own as well. Particularly during the In The Zone era, she was getting more into the creative side of things. Then came the breakdown. :(

as much as I would love to credit Gaga for everything, K-dolla, Katy and Riri are responsible as well -_- female pop is just massive right now

Britney's singles were performing a lot better before most of them (minus Rihanna) were even heard from - if you look at the timeline, it really had more to do with digital sales.

I think people are too quick to do things in either direction. There was a time when she was more artistically involved in her stuff, but it's been a while. I think her contributions will be remembered in different ways than the other folks you mentioned because she's a different kind of artist. There are already TONS of artists who get more respect than she does, musically, and with good reason.

But people keep counting Britney out of the game, and she stays in. Personally, I just like a lot of her output - what goes on behind the scenes doesn't affect how much I like a song. Seems to be the same for a lot of other people too.

The reason being because she has the "I dont give a fuck" attitude. She makes it seem more like a chore than her actually being enthused about entertaining. The fact that consumers/buyers let singers FORCE FEED whatever the fuck they want whether it be musically or performancewise is sad. Im appalled that we got to this level of just "accepting" whatever the fuck. Like her Circus tour. Those ppl were silly enough to pay their hard earned money to see a woman who clearly is half assin the whole show and not worried the SLIGHTEST BIT of giving them their monies worth. Its disrespect to her fans and if thats how ya'll wanna be repaid..then keep making the bitch RICH! because she's getting the last laugh.

Yes, but it wasn't the first time she'd had a #1 in 10 years. She started having more singles success when Gimme More went to #3 in '06 and again when Womanizer went #1 in '08.

Oh true... god point. But still, she debuted at #1 twice in a row, and in short, we have Gaga to thank :cheers:

The reason being because she has the "I dont give a fuck" attitude. She makes it seem more like a chore than her actually being enthused about entertaining. The fact that consumers/buyers let singers FORCE FEED whatever the fuck they want whether it be musically or performancewise is sad. Im appalled that we got to this level of just "accepting" whatever the fuck. Like her Circus tour. Those ppl were silly enough to pay their hard earned money to see a woman who clearly is half assin the whole show and not worried the SLIGHTEST BIT of giving them their monies worth. Its disrespect to her fans and if thats how ya'll wanna be repaid..then keep making the bitch RICH! because she's getting the last laugh.

Even without giving half a fuck, she still has way more success than most, and that's saying a lot. She doesn't even have to leave her house and her singles shoot to #1.

Personally, I loved the Circus tour. So much so that it's the only tour I went to more than one date on. I genuinely enjoyed myself (and so did my friend who came with me to one of the shows, and he's not even a fan), so I don't consider it a waste of my money. It's up to the consumer what they acceptable. Do I wish she'd work harder? Sure. But I'm still loving her music, etc., no matter if she wrote it or of somebody stuck her in a studio and forced her to record it.

Even without giving half a fuck, she still has way more success than most, and that's saying a lot. She doesn't even have to leave her house and her singles shoot to #1.

Personally, I loved the Circus tour. So much so that it's the only tour I went to more than one date on. I genuinely enjoyed myself (and so did my friend who came with me to one of the shows, and he's not even a fan), so I don't consider it a waste of my money. It's up to the consumer what they acceptable. Do I wish she'd work harder? Sure. But I'm still loving her music, etc., no matter if she wrote it or of somebody stuck her in a studio and forced her to record it.

That is EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Ya'll focus too much on numbers and popularity when it comes to her. The fact that thats the ONLY thing you can run to when it comes to her..says ALOT. She has the numbers,she has the popularity...okay,but what else does she have??So in other words are you guys saying popularity is more significant than RESPECT,as an artist?

The fact that you know she didn't do her BEST is saying alot. So that doesnt feel like a slap in the face to you? You're content with her half assin' it? I use to enjoy Britney once upon a time but my respect left when hers left.

That is EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Ya'll focus too much on numbers and popularity when it comes to her. The fact that thats the ONLY thing you can run to when it comes to her..says ALOT. She has the numbers,she has the popularity...okay,but what else does she have??So in other words are you guys saying popularity is more significant than RESPECT,as an artist?

The fact that you know she didn't do her BEST is saying alot. So that doesnt feel like a slap in the face to you? You're content with her half assin' it? I use to enjoy Britney once upon a time but my respect left when hers left.

You're reading too much into stuff. I don't think the numbers are the only thing to run to - I think she makes enjoyable pop music. But people downplay her success and the fact that people clearly enjoy the music, which is why people bring up the numbers.

I never said popularity or respect were more important. There are definitely other artists I respect more than Britney, and I like and support them too. I'll defend Britney because I'm a fan, but I'm a fan of a lot of artists for a lot of different reasons.

Of course I know she's not doing her best. Anyone who's paying attention can see that. But when I'm listening to her songs, it doesn't come across, so I don't care. Even when I'm watching her on stage, I'm getting enough to satisfy me. It doesn't upset me and I don't think it's up to other people to determine if it should.

You're reading too much into stuff. I don't think the numbers are the only thing to run to - I think she makes enjoyable pop music. But people downplay her success and the fact that people clearly enjoy the music, which is why people bring up the numbers.

I never said popularity or respect were more important. There are definitely other artists I respect more than Britney, and I like and support them too. I'll defend Britney because I'm a fan, but I'm a fan of a lot of artists for a lot of different reasons.

Of course I know she's not doing her best. Anyone who's paying attention can see that. But when I'm listening to her songs, it doesn't come across, so I don't care. Even when I'm watching her on stage, I'm getting enough to satisfy me. It doesn't upset me and I don't think it's up to other people to determine if it should.

Well its funny that this heavy debate started just because I said Britney's legacy wont consist of anything meaningful in other words saying no depth. And the first thing someone shot back with was "SHE'S AN ICON!". Interesting because I never said she wasn't that being used as a defense is telling. I was speaking SOLELY on RESPECT AS AN ARTIST. Artists who stand out to me are artists who are not only icons but HAD SOMETHING TO SAY. But if thats not necessarily what you all need to respect an artists legacy..then thats fine. Everybody has their own opinion.

Well its funny that this heavy debate started just because I said Britney's legacy wont consist of anything meaningful in other words saying no depth. And the first thing someone shot back with was "SHE'S AN ICON!". Interesting because I never said she wasn't that being used as a defense is telling. I was speaking SOLELY on RESPECT AS AN ARTIST. Artists who stand out to me are artists who are not only icons but HAD SOMETHING TO SAY. But if thats not necessarily what you all need to respect an artists legacy..then thats fine. Everybody has their own opinion.

Well, that's been exactly my point - people can be remembered and have legacies for different reasons. I don't think being an icon is something meaningless. Sticking around in this industry for over a decade is no small feat.

Archived