My opinion of male r&b/pop singers of today

LyricalLesson

I'm real tough on the male singers of today, mostly because they're doing what I want to do, so I'm constantly comparing. I'm not a hater, there are dudes that I feel are very talented, but there are many that I feel are wack pretenders. In this thread I give my judgement.

Usher

Has recently lost his touch. The music he has released for the past couple years is just lightyears away from his earlier albums. Where's the likeability he had displayed on "My Way", the passion he gave on "8701", the swag he showed on "Confessions" ...all of this is missing at the moment. He himself isn't lost, he still has mad talent and can actually sing, he just needs a wake up call.

Chris Brown

Has always been a dancer who tries to sing in my opinion. I didn't think he could sing when "Run It" dropped, fast forward to "Deuces" and there hasn't been much growth. His vocals are whiney, weak, and he doesn't have much of a range. The quality of his music has dropped recently, and so has his popularity since the whole Rihanna "incident"...I have been irritated by all of the Michael comparisons, they seemed to have stopped, so I'm happy about that.

Ne-Yo

I'm not a fan of Ne-Yo the personality, but how can you not respect Ne-Yo the artist? Vocally he's better than 80% of the guys out there, constantly brings emotion and passionate vocals and boy can he WRITE a song! I get annoyed by the fact that he's not very versatile, a lot of his music tends to sound the same. Again, I feel like his level has dipped just a tiny bit since his first album ("Mirror" in my opinion is his BEST track ever, along with amazing songs in "So Sick" and "Sexy Love") but he's still at a high level. He's very good for male R&B.

Trey Songz

This is going to come off as hater-ish...but I can't help it: What is so special about this cat? Let me put it this way, he's got a good voice, he can sing. He's not a bad looking guy. He makes okay music. And he seems to be a semi-likeable personality. All "good" things, right? Right. "Good"...but NOTHING "great" or "spectacular". Trey is just okay, he's very ho-hum. I can't praise, or knock him in any category. I do, however have an issue with his lack of versatility also. Same shit, different album from him all of the time. "Can't Help But Wait" is the only shining star on his resumé...and "I Just Wanna Cut".

Lloyd

Dude is by FAR one of my picks for top 3 current male R&B artist. I'm a big fan. It's funny, because he's probably the lowest profile singer on the list thus far. But that's how it usually goes, huh? The best is not always the most popular. I haven't always been a fan of Lloyds...in fact, I thought he was TERRIBLE when he first came out with that "Southside" garbage. I had a tough time trying to distinguish who was who between him and Ashanti. His girlly voice bothered me. But over time, he has gotten VERY strong vocally, and realeased VERY strong material. For the life of me, I'll never understand how "Pusha" (with Juelz Santana or Lil Wayne...personally I prefer the one with Juelz) wasn't a MASSIVE hit. What a song! Definitely the hottest male R&B song of 2009. WAKE UP AMERICA!

Jason Derulö

Does he even deserve to be mentioned? I have an issue with people who become singers that CAN'T sing. Jason fits that category. Auto-tuned to the max. Damn do I hate auto-tune. His songs all sound the same, he's real feminine on stage, and I see him being a 1-album-wonder. I won't bash him completely though, because "What'cha Say" is still a hot ass song.

Jon B.

Another pick of mine for top 3 current best R&B singer! This white boy has more soul and swag than almost any dude on this list. Vocally, he's a beast. Listen to any of his songs and you'll swear you were listening to a black dude. He's a producer, a damn good one at that. And he's been CONSISTANTLY making excellent music since the 90's. If you haven't heard it, listen to his album "Stronger Everyday"...classic CURRENT R&B at it's finest! "Lately", "Everytime", "One More Dance"...shit, the entire album shits on this crap you hear on the radio.

John Legend

I have grown to really admire John Legend. To this day I think that "Ordinary People" is one of the best R&B/Pop songs of the decade...but John as an artist left me feeling cold. I started warming up to him after he dropped "Green Light" but I still don't think he's Mr. Personality by any means. Aside from that, this dude has the rare ability to appeal to the older white audience, the older black audience, and the younger black audience. The Grammy's committee loves him. You can't knock his hustle. He can sing! Doesn't use auto-tune, and doesn't cop-out and sing primarily in falsetto. In a nutshell he's the male Alicia Keys, haha.

Robin Thicke

Thicke has the ability to be MUCH better than he is. Yes, he's smooth, he's got swag, he has that falsetto. BUT hiding behind all of that is a dude that can SANG! His last 3 albums were great, can't say anything about it. I especially loved "The Evolution Of Robin Thicke"...but I can't say I loved the actual evolution. If ANYONE heard his first album ("Cherry Blue Skies"/"A Beautiful World"), back when he was THICKE, knows about the masterpiece that is "When I Get You Alone"...I have faith that Robin will again make songs like this again. Back then he used that chest voice, those out of this world runs he can fire off, that big range he has. All of this in combination with the witty "A Fifth Of Beethovan (spelling?)" sample, and a choir? Brilliance. Please recapture this brilliance, Robin, show the world you can SANG.

Chris Brown

Has always been a dancer who tries to sing in my opinion. I didn't think he could sing when "Run It" dropped, fast forward to "Deuces" and there hasn't been much growth. His vocals are whiney, weak, and he doesn't have much of a range. The quality of his music has dropped recently, and so has his popularity since the whole Rihanna "incident"...I have been irritated by all of the Michael comparisons, they seemed to have stopped, so I'm happy about that.

The only response I have to that is watch the movie This Christmas and hear his acapella of Try A Little Tenderness :coffee:

Trey Songz & Usher I love them both most of you seem really jealous of their success its ok though... Neyo stuff is ok but he is ugly so...

I like my male rnb singers over sexed cocky and nasty.

EEEWWW!! And that's EXACTLY what I find ugly in singers. Neyo might be ugly to you. But you can't deny he whoops Trey and Usher vocally any day.