I'm conflicted when it comes to the discussion of Rihanna's vocals

LyricalLesson

I'm no longer a big Rihanna fan. I don't particularly care for her current music,

nor her image, nor her persona. I'm not one of these people who are going to hate

on someone for no reason. I have legit explanations concerning each of the

aforementioned issues.

1. & 2. The Image and The Style

Let me start off by saying that these two problems I'm facing in regards to Rihanna are

not typical problems I have with artists. Usually, I couldn't care any less about what

you look like, and what you rock. You just do you...I may not like it, but if I'm diggin

your material, that's all I'm really worried about. I LISTEN to your music, I don't

WATCH your image on the CD as it's spinning in my CD player. However, these are supplemental

in my confusion as to why I'm indifferent toward her. I've always said that Rihanna is

merely a puppet on strings. She debuted as the "Barbadian island girl next door", which

was very appealing to me. But less than a year later, she's morphed into a pop princess.

Less than a year after that she's now the Raven-haired badass genre bending broad, then

a hard Rockstar...and now? Frankly, I don't know how to describe her, it's just odd, Like

Wendy from the fast-food chain in elegant gowns. There is no doubt in my mind that someone

is controlling these rapid-fire changes. Rihanna is not Janet or Madonna, they gradually

re-invented themselves, they cultivated their images, took control and OWNED it. I'm just

not buying it with Rihanna. It's forced...and awkward.

3. The Music

The music goes hand in hand with The Style and Image. The sound of the music has changed just

as often. That's all well and good, I like change. But to go from a pre-dominately dancehall

sound to alt-rock/dancy pop/r&b is just crazy. And it's not like she sprinkles her original

style in with the new...she completely abandoned it. You watch the videos she made just 4 and

5 YEARS AGO (a VERY short time ago) and you're shocked by how much different the entire package

is. I was one of the few sizable Rihanna fans when she wasn't the 'star' that she is now. I loved

the casual style she rocked, The genuine and real persona she had...but most importantly, the

QUALITY of her records. YouTube "Willing To Wait", "Music Of The Sun", "You Don't Love Me",

"The Last Time", "Let Me", & "Now I Know"...then ask yourself what I ask myself EVERY TIME I hear

a current Rihanna song: "WHY THE FUCK ISN'T SHE SINGING LIKE THIS NOW?" Who is making her hold

her vocals back? Has she lost the vocal ability she once had? Was her vocal on this first album

just pro-tooled and auto-tuned to death, and she's always had that "eh eh eh" limited vocal capacity?

I struggle inside myself when I hear people say that Rihanna can't sing, because I know she can.

I bought "Music Of The Sun" on its release day, and I believed this girl had talent...figured she

would reach the heights that she actually did wind up reaching...but I thought it would be because

of her VOCAL TALENT...not because of her image.

...Guess I was wrong?

To me she's all style and no substance. She reinvents herself the way Madonna did but there's not much else going on. I know Rated R was her "deep" album but it's no Velvet Rope. She's a lite version of Janet and Madonna. They had the image evolution, but the charisma, stage presence, conviction etc to really make you believe it.

But seriously, she's a hit or miss. I've seen some performances on youtube where she sounds decent, but when she's off...she's OFF.

I agree she's not all bad, she's just kind of mediocre overall as a performer. I do appreciate she sings live.

To me she's all style and no substance. She reinvents herself the way Madonna did but there's not much else going on. I know Rated R was her "deep" album but it's no Velvet Rope. She's a lite version of Janet and Madonna. They had the image evolution, but the charisma, stage presence, conviction etc to really make you believe it.

LOL at you saying this with that avi :whistle:

more like the black Madonna.. very little talent... joy riding off others... u know... "reinventing"

It just seems all about Rihanna. Rihanna this. Rihanna that. I mean, if you don't like her, don't listen to her. The constant criticism is bating.

As a Madonna and Gaga stan, I see constant hate for them too.

You only see what your eyes want to see... how can life be what you want it to be? You're frozen. When you're heart's not open...

Let that marinate for a while yall -_-

You only see what your eyes want to see... how can life be what you want it to be? You're frozen. When you're heart's not open...

Ch..I'm not here for Jewish Mysticism lipton.. :coffee:

excuse me but you never was in her thread or said anything about her so why say something now or are you just using this to to get a hit thread

and dead this is coming from the person who puts out music this

:fail: auto-tunes would do you some justice

Dissed! :excited:

That song is out of my vocal range, I will admit. But I love the song and a friend of mine dared me to record it

I already got scalped for it on my facebook, so your "insult" didn't quite sting, my friend.

You picked my worst song buy the way. Call me when Rihanna can do THIS LIVE WITHOUT AUTO-TUNE ;)

but why all of a sudden are these threads popping up every where with Rihanna HATE in them she did good last night now people want to complain about her come on she must have did a hell of a job last night for people to still be talking about her