Rihanna vs. Janet Jackson…

SloLove

http://thyblackman.com/2011/06/11/rihanna-vs-janet-jackson/

Rihanna vs. Janet Jackson…

June 11, 2011 by Staff

Filed under Celebrity/Music News

Leave a Comment

(ThyBlackMan.com) All the talk of Rihanna’s controversial “Man Down” video reminds me so much of one of my favorite performances by Janet Jackson. Back in 1998 the singer was invited to perform her single “Go Deep” at the VH1 Fashion Awards. However, Janet, wanting to tackle a more personal single on her “Velvet Rope” album, chose to instead perform “What About,” a song about domestic abuse.

Janet’s performance that evening turned out to be one of her most legendary, not only because of the topic matter, but because Janet spends over half of the performance on her knees and yet still owns the stage like the ICON she is.

Check out the performance below and note the response of the crowd. The show’s producer would later explain in a documentary about the show how she didn’t want Janet to perform the song fearing it would be a downer for such a lighthearted event. She later conceded that Janet’s performance was one of the most spectacular given at any VH1 event and garnered more positive feedback than any other show or performance ever aired on the channel.

PREACH!

I might be wrong, but didn't Rihanna originally say that the song wasn't about actually killing someone but breaking a dude's heart :unsure:

I THINK THAT IS WHAT THE SONG IS ABOUT...BUT THE VIDEO SHE ACTUALLY KILLS THE GUY...THE SONG AND VIDEO CONTRADICTS ITSELF

I THINK THAT IS WHAT THE SONG IS ABOUT...BUT THE VIDEO SHE ACTUALLY KILLS THE GUY...THE SONG AND VIDEO CONTRADICTS ITSELF

Okay. I know that was the first reason why I wish she didn't release it or do a video for it. I'm glad she did, because it's the best from this era :clapping: Now it's time for "Raining Men" to be released for the summer too ^_^

Okay. I know that was the first reason why I wish she didn't release it or do a video for it. I'm glad she did, because it's the best from this era :clapping: Now it's time for "Raining Men" to be released for the summer too ^_^

I DONT PARTICULARLY CARE FOR THE SONG...IT GETS ANNOYING AFTER AWHILE...BUT I LOVE THE VIDEO

-_- For me it's the heavy use of her accent. The video is really great...didn't expect it at all.

EVERY TIME I SAY IF SHE SAYS RUM BUM BUM BUM ONE MO TIME...ITS LIKE THE OLD JANET DAYS WHEN THE JUST MADE THE SONGS EXTRA LONG...LOL

EVERY TIME I SAY IF SHE SAYS RUM BUM BUM BUM ONE MO TIME...ITS LIKE THE OLD JANET DAYS WHEN THE JUST MADE THE SONGS EXTRA LONG...LOL

:asham: I was listening to "All For You" yesterday right before I left for the movies. I still love the song, but it seemed so long to me...and the janet. album has some of the longest songs -_-

:asham: I was listening to "All For You" yesterday right before I left for the movies. I still love the song, but it seemed so long to me...and the janet. album has some of the longest songs -_-

YES LAWD!...I CAN IE. THE DRAG OUT TO ANY TIME ANY PLACE...SMH...LOL ALL THAT EXTRA TAPE THEY COULDA PUT ANOTHER SONG ON THAT BITCH INCLUDING WHOOPS NOW...LOL

yesss i love raining men

big-girl-dancing-o.gif

:lmao::lmao: :lmao:

It's surprising that it's taking them forever to release it. Speaking of a Nicki/Rihanna track, what happened to Nicki's "Fly" video being released? Didn't they say there were recording it months ago?

What radio station is she on now?

i rember hearing something about fly i forget... i just want that raining men video maybe i need to tweet tampon head and ask :whistle:

Archived