The Pop Culture Thread: When IMPACTNET Strikes Edition

Mr. Wonder

tumblr_mmpzyr4Y581s21wj4o2_250.gif

"Black Cat" was sampled for the film version of "Jab Tu Muskrati HaI" (When You Smile) from the 2002 Hindi language film "Koi Mere Dil Se Poochhe". I saw the movie when it released...the only good thing about it was the music, Esha Deol's (the lead actress) dancing, my big time middle school/high school crush Aftab Shivadasani (the lead actor), and of course, the "Black Cat" sample.

http://www.dailymoti...full-song_music

The song is VERY overproduced (like many Bollywood songs at the time), but the sample starts at 1:47 and lasts for a good 20 seconds.

• Upvote 1

I found ANOTHER Bollywood song from a movie I watched last year that samples a Janet classic, this time it's "The Knowledge" - PLEASE watch, this was done in 1996 and they made a new jack swing song with some choreography that's a mixture of traditional, Janet, MJ, Bobby Brown with MC Hammer outfits! :lmao:

They slayed that! And the way the playback singer attempts to say "NO!" like Janet is cute hehe.

I liked The Knowledge part. But Bollywood kinda creeps me out for some strange reason.

There's nothing creepy about Bollywood. But it does have a lot of cheese, camp, and dramatics. It's come a very long way, maybe too modernized, but the production and story lines are stronger.

There's nothing creepy about Bollywood. But it does have a lot of cheese, camp, and dramatics. It's come a very long way, maybe too modernized, but the production and story lines are stronger.

I hate how modernized it's become. They're tried to become more "westernized" but it's comes across as entirely fake. I miss the traditional dance numbers. I was watching Devdas the other day and thought they just don't do it like that anymore. I'm so over Bollywood right now - nothing reaches out to me. And it's a shame because there's probably a lot of good films in the past 3 years specifically that I haven't seen because I just expect lessor material.

• 1 month later...

Jon Stewart mentioned Janet Jackson during either Wednesday or Thursday's taping. He was talking about Coke's backlash from the Super Bowl commercial...

----

Brooklyn Nine-Nine dropped a Janet reference when Andy Samberg's character auctioning off a vase at an event... He said something to the likes of, "This Vase... Vase* if ya nasty"

* - pronounced it as /vɑːz/

I was watching a show on funerals and dementia today and they were talking about the rising trend of filming funerals. They brought up MJ's as a reference (as well as some other celebs) and showed Janet's goddess like entrance to his funeral - she was the only celeb they showed.

• Upvote 1

Front woman for the band Little Dragon said her band's new album is influenced by Janet.

Swedish synthpop quartet Little Dragon have announced the release of fourth album Nabuma Rubberband on May 13th, their first since their 2011 breakthrough album Ritual Union. The group shared the video for their first single "Klapp Klapp" above, alongside news of upcoming performances at South by Southwest and Coachella.

Contrary to their dancier past work, the group said in a statement that Nabuma Rubberband is inspired by "Janet Jackson slow jams Yukimi used to listen to wandering around Gothenburg during the unrelenting winter."

"When you put some of Janet's really slow stuff on you feel like you're floating," frontwoman Yukimi Nagano said. "That feeling really influenced me and maybe that's why there are quite a lot of slow jams on the record. In the past we've been a bit self-conscious about making slow jams after 'Twice'. Then we wanted to make dance music which we did with Machine Dreams and then Ritual Union still had a dance vibe, but with this album it wasn't about that. The intention was about whatever we felt strongly about."

YESSSSSSSSS THE JANHOVA-SPIRIT!!!!

Make sure y'all check out this album when it drops in May

Is that supposed to be his take on Janet's Control cover art?

No :lol:. I'm praising his work. Viramonte did the Control cover - the bottom one is another piece of his. The top is me being bored on Paint - but it's kinda...awesome.

• Upvote 1