Walkin' in like I got cameras on me
Niggas can't control me, ain't no handles on me
Shit don't get out of hand, it get handled, homie
Got a pretty young girl look like janet on me
She a pretty penny and she know I'm doing numbers
Till we crash up the whole database

• Upvote 1

Janet Jackson goes jazz? Yes, please.

On the new single from Supreme Sonacy (Vol. 1)a compilation album by the legendary Blue Note Records and New York fixture Revive Music, saxophonist/clarinetist Marcus Strickland and vocalist Christie Dashiell beautifully cover “Let’s Wait Awhile,” a laid-back classic from Janet Jackson’s landmark 1986Control album. With some help from an all-star lineup, including Christian Sands (keys), Keyon Harrold (trumpet), Kyle Miles (bass) and Charles Haynes (drums), the two rising jazz stars give the song a neo-soul remix, complete with a Dilla-inspired backbeat and Strickland’s buzzy bass clarinet playing off Dashiell’s floating vocals.

“I thought of how powerful the melody, message, and Janet's voice is,” Strickland says of making the song, “so I was very careful in choosing the vocalist to pull it off and add their own flavor.”

“I've been a fan of Janet since I was a kid, so I was so happy to sing this,” Dashiell adds. “The arrangement makes me imagine driving in my car with the windows down on a nice summer night.”

Supreme Sonacy Vol. 1, set for an Aug. 7 release on Blue Note, will mark the 10th anniversary of REVIVE Music, a renowned New York-based concert production company and Okayplayer-partnered online hub dedicated to celebrating a new wave of jazz talents. The album will feature Igmar Thomas, Big Yuki, Ray Angry, Chris Potter, Jeff Tain Watts, Marc Cary, Casey Benjamin, Ben Williams and others.

To hear Strickland and Dashiell’s cover of Janet Jackson’s “Let’s Wait Awhile," click below:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6627407/janet-jackson-jazz-cover-marcus-strickland-christie-dashiell-lets-wait-awhile

• Upvote 1

Omg I got really excited until I read "compilation album" :asham: when I saw Supreme Sonacy I thought they'd finally confirmed an album title. I forgot what thread I was reading. :lmao:

The cover is a really nice take actually.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

there is a strange irony in that Pride photo considering that its a Britney Spears impersonator when Britney Spears is an impersonator of Janet :wacko::unsure:..its like Miss Barry decided to tribute the source of it all. Undeniably...it all comes back to you. -_-Truly... it all comes down to love

• Upvote 3

there is a strange irony in that Pride photo considering that its a Britney Spears impersonator when Britney Spears is an impersonator of Janet :wacko::unsure:..its like Miss Barry decided to tribute the source of it all. Undeniably...it all comes back to you. -_-Truly... it all comes down to love

:lmao: a copy of a copy copying the master 

Edited by 2 B Gamed
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...