The last movie you saw at home/cinema - MOST POPULAR THREAD 2013/14

Selz

There are no modern war "heroes". There hasn't been a war hero since the world wars. Protect you? You're more at risk today than you were before these lil wars of the last decade  :lmao:. These wars of the last 13 years were not about protecting you and if you think they are then that's a shame. 

The heroes come from everyday Americans who feel compelled to serve their country, its called patriotism, whatever America is or isn't good, one thing absolutely good, the idea that a nation's people love their country so much they would risk life and limb for it. I understand that there are a great many cultural differences and issues, however that doesn't provide cause to dismiss our men and women who serve in the armed forces. They do so willing....

I am a proud American, although our country is far from perfect, what makes us great is anyone, woman, gay, ethnic are allowed to become whatever they want. You want understanding and respect for what your country and religion means to you, I ask the same.  I have family that have served in several conflicts in the world, and I respect their courage and their belief that what they are doing matters. Besides the armed forces have provided very rewarding lives to many in the service of this nation.

I said I understood the film to be propaganda from the right and called it so, and although I may not understand how foreign policy negatively influences non-extremist people, I am willing to hear their voices without judgment of what they stand for.

• Downvote 1

The heroes come from everyday Americans who feel compelled to serve their country, its called patriotism, whatever America is or isn't good, one thing absolutely good, the idea that a nation's people love their country so much they would risk life and limb for it. I understand that there are a great many cultural differences and issues, however that doesn't provide cause to dismiss our men and women who serve in the armed forces. They do so willing....

I am a proud American, although our country is far from perfect, what makes us great is anyone, woman, gay, ethnic are allowed to become whatever they want. You want understanding and respect for what your country and religion means to you, I ask the same.  I have family that have served in several conflicts in the world, and I respect their courage and their belief that what they are doing matters. Besides the armed forces have provided very rewarding lives to many in the service of this nation.

I said I understood the film to be propaganda from the right and called it so, and although I may not understand how foreign policy negatively influences non-extremist people, I am willing to hear their voices without judgment of what they stand for.

You're making this into me vs America which it's not. I'm not talking about American soldiers. I'm talking about ALL soldiers that has fought/is fighting in modern war. America was not the only one to go to Iraq. My country did too.

I'm not dismissing soldiers at all. Yes it's brave of them to be pawns in the governments selfish immoral fights. It's sad they lose their limbs and lives and even worse...come back scarred for life (suffering PTSD etc). That's sad. That's life. I'm not horrible. I know many British soldiers too. But today's soldiers are not heroes (in general). To call all soldiers a hero just because they're a solider does the word hero an injustice. 

I'm the grandson of two war veterans. They fought in the World Wars. The World War - everyone that fought on the right side of the war (i.e. against the Nazis) were heroes. Their fight actually was for freedom. The Iraq/Afghanistan war was not about freedom and if you think it was then you've been conned by your own media/government and that's a travesty. You're no more free today than you were 13 years ago. No soldier has died or fought for freedom since World War 2. No freedom, particularly American freedom, was at stake in Afghanistan. No freedom, particularly American freedom, was at stake in Iraq. 

"what makes us great is anyone, woman, gay, ethnic are allowed to become whatever they want" - Sis, so does my country...most of it before your country.

These two articles (1 and 2) are preaching the truth.

I will never blindly call someone a hero unless what they have do is heroic. And I would most definitely never call a whole profession heroes especially when time and time again a some of their behaviour has been exposed to be anything but heroic. But if you want to then hey...the beauty of both our countries is that you have the right to do so just like I have a right not do. I'm not going to dwell on this any more because it's ruining a great thread. 

Kingsman: The Secret Service B+

This film was all about having some fun. Good action sequences, wit and stylish. I enjoyed this movie it didnt take itself too seriously but it was certainly worth watching. I wish they had done a better job with Samuel Jackson as the antagonist, it wasn't terrible but I kept waiting for the bad ass Samuel Jackson to connect with the character, that doesn't seem to happen. In all for a fun spy action film with some great moments it works. The trailer does a good job of selling this movie. I wouldnt rate it quite as high as Matt did, but not too far behind....sitting in the theater for over 2 hours for any movie it better be damn epic.

• Downvote 1

Cake

I actually thought this movie was great and don't understand why it was panned. Make me truly believe in the whole political aspect of Hollywood so much more. Jennifer Anistons performance was amazing. I was a fan before but I never knew she was capable of serious acting like this. I really hope this gets her even more 'serious' roles. 

My last post was in January :lol:  Lemme try to remember...

Disney's Pinocchio - A+ :wub:

Menace II Society (still lurve that ish)

August Osage County - A+ - Meryl and Julia are EVERYTHING :wub:

The Inbetweeners 2 - C - Just generally rude and unnecessary :sigh:

50 Shades of Beige - D.  I saw it in the cinema last night.  Yawn.  And why do some people find it necessary to giggle at inappropriate moments?  Grow up :lol:

Insurgent - C

The first half dragged, thank goodness it picked up in the second hour.  The first movie was better.

Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe :wub:

3rd time - I LOVE this movie.  "Towandaaaaaaa!" :lmao: :lmao:

• Upvote 1

The Producers - C, Very enjoyable, it did drag a bit, and Nathan was more hammy than usual, but I absolutely loved Ferrell, Thurman,& Broderick, The whole story I liked, and I like that it was very much shot in the style of a broadway play but that can also be a negative point, it was like a long play without a intermission, and it needed a intermission, It was just too long. But overall enjoyable.

Dreamcatcher C+

I was at home and had to work, this movie came on and it took me about 5 minutes to figure out not only had I seen the movie before,but I paid to see it in the theaters. So I watched it on my day off, thinking to myself, I don't have to go anywhere :) it's an okay movie, the premise is pretty dumb, and its all brands of crazy.

• Downvote 1

Just watched: FRANKIE & ALICE featuring Halle Berry.. It's based on a true story

Woman has multiple (three) personalities. One, a racist, white southern woman.. Another a child nicknamed 'Genius'. Halle is admitted to a psychiatric Bc she couldn't control her personalities due to a traumatic event from her past

3/5 stars and I'm being generous Bc Halle gave a great performance

• Upvote 2

I paid to see this in the theaters, and left feeling like blah

It dragged for a lot of it tbh. I was waiting for it to finish but it just kept going on and on. On a plus not I love that they've invented faster methods of travel. How dude can get from US to Japan and back again in such a short space of time - incredible :rolleyes:

Honestly.................................I havent even finished it, I mean it REAAAAAALLLY lost me somewhere in the middle, I don't even remember where, or that whatever took my attention from it was THAT important, I just really wasn't feeling that movie as much as I hoped I would. I plan to re-watch tho...now that I more realistically know what to prepare for....20% Godzilla, 80% NO Godzilla