The last movie you saw at home/cinema - MOST POPULAR THREAD 2013/14

Selz

Haha of course I will! Even though it's been panned in all the reviews I've read it's still on my must-see list. :lol:

The show was pretty popular in the UK wasn't it? Does the movie have a release date over there?

I don't think it does have a release date :(

It was popular - especially the gays loved it lol.

Let me know what you think :wub:

Sleepless In Seattle- A

WOW. I LOVE Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan together, I've already seen (and love) You Got Mail, but I've been meaning to get to this 1 for years. I love this movie, I do have a love hate with romantic comedies, because 9/10 you know where they're headed and how they'll end, but sometimes when it's written well and acted well and has some good curve balls here and there, it makes a difference.

If you know me, my thing is I don't need to be with someone (in a relationship) to be happy, but theres certain movies, where I wish I was just holding someone while I am watching you know? This movie's in that category, like even if it's just for this movie, it's the perfect movie to watch with someone right up on you or right up on someone, no words just watching this great story and acting and laughing and just....enjoy. UGH thats what I don't like about romantic comedies they almost all make it seem like you need a relationship to be happy, like the people on the screen.

My fave part:

Tom Hanks: There is NO WAY we are going on a plane to meet some women who could be a crazy sick lunatic, didn't you see Fatal Attraction?

His 8 Yr old son: YOU WOULDN'T LET ME!

Tom Hanks:.............WELL I SAW IT! AND IT SCARED THE SHIT OUTTA ME!!! IT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF EVERY MAN IN AMERICA!!

I fucking love Tom Hanks lol. Oh and Rosie was great too, ofcourse

• Upvote 1

The Master

Joaquin Phoenix owned this movie. He gave a brilliant performance. I felt kind of uncomfortable watching him. I also loved Amy Adams in this one. She really stepped up her game.

Overall, tt was a pretty solid film. I didn't really know what to expect with this one, but I enjoyed it. I saw the 70mm screening of it, but I'm not enough of a film buff to really know what was different about it. :asham: Maybe if I catch the regular screening of it I will appreciate what the hype about 70mm is.

Imitation of Life (original, 1934 version, NOT the 1959 Lana Turner version)- A+!!!!

OMG!!! IT WAS SOOO GOOD, I was just telling Bu the other day that Im not much of a cryer, but things will move the fuck outta me and make me damn near want to, this movie (like the 1959 version) was 1 of them.

For those of you not familiar with the over all story, it's basically about a black women and white women, both with young girls who meet (under 2 different circumstances in both versions) and they live together, and later become rich(also through 2 different circumstances). BUT the heavyhitter of the story is, the black women is dark skinned, and a stereotypical "Old Hollywood" black female "Yes I's is yo mammy" type of women, and her daughter is so light she can pass for white easily, and the daughter hates being black, hates that her mother reminds her that she is black, and she just does her damnedest to dis-own her mother and her race but her mother loves her so much and don't even mind that her daughter don't love her back or the fact that she's black, she just loves her (OK LITERALLY TEARING UP AS I TYPE THIS STUFF, SHE REALLY LOVES THAT BITCH!)and the daughter just keeps breaking her heart.....(SPOILER ALERT, EVERYTHING AFTER THIS WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED IN WHITE) and the mother gets REALLY sick, and all she wants is to see her daughter again but her daughter won't come back to her, and so the mother dies, and at the funeral (which in both movies moved the fuck outta me) the daughter bursts through the crowds opens the hurse and throws her arms around the casket and cries out how sorry she is and how much she loves her mama, and how she killed her mama, and how good her mother was to her....OMG IT IS ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU USE UP A BOX OF TISSUE IF YOU ARE THAT PERSON!

Now interesting difference for those of you who've seen the 1959 version (which for those of you don't know of this movie is the more popular movie), in the 59 version, the white women becomes a famous actress and the black women just pretty much is her live in nanny and best friend. BUT in the 1939(!!!!) version, they BOTH get rich off of the black women's pancake recipe (loosely implied as Aunt Jemima) and it's almost remarkable because this is the 30's! And in this movie, not only is this white women friends with this black women, they both get rich. Now, in the movie tho she insists on being the white womens maid even tho she's a millionaire, she wants to do it out of love (meh, believable to me, my great-grandmother is very much like that).

The sad truth is the actress playing the black mother in both versions I think desserved Oscar recognition, and on Wikipedia when it brings it up about the actress in the 1934 version it simply says: “the Academy could not recognize Miss Beavers. She is black!”, assholes :flipoff:

anyway here's the scene from the 1934 version that really twisted the fuck outta my heart (oh watched the whole thing on Youtube, you can too, they have the 1959 version on there too, if interested).

WATCH THIS ENTIRE SCENE FROM START TO END!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscSimHI6HA&feature=channel&list=UL

Imitation of Life (original, 1934 version, NOT the 1959 Lana Turner version)- A+!!!!

OMG!!! IT WAS SOOO GOOD, I was just telling Bu the other day that Im not much of a cryer, but things will move the fuck outta me and make me damn near want to, this movie (like the 1959 version) was 1 of them.

For those of you not familiar with the over all story, it's basically about a black women and white women, both with young girls who meet (under 2 different circumstances in both versions) and they live together, and later become rich(also through 2 different circumstances). BUT the heavyhitter of the story is, the black women is dark skinned, and a stereotypical "Old Hollywood" black female "Yes I's is yo mammy" type of women, and her daughter is so light she can pass for white easily, and the daughter hates being black, hates that her mother reminds her that she is black, and she just does her damnedest to dis-own her mother and her race but her mother loves her so much and don't even mind that her daughter don't love her back or the fact that she's black, she just loves her (OK LITERALLY TEARING UP AS I TYPE THIS STUFF, SHE REALLY LOVES THAT BITCH!)and the daughter just keeps breaking her heart.....(SPOILER ALERT, EVERYTHING AFTER THIS WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED IN WHITE) and the mother gets REALLY sick, and all she wants is to see her daughter again but her daughter won't come back to her, and so the mother dies, and at the funeral (which in both movies moved the fuck outta me) the daughter bursts through the crowds opens the hurse and throws her arms around the casket and cries out how sorry she is and how much she loves her mama, and how she killed her mama, and how good her mother was to her....OMG IT IS ENOUGH TO MAKE YOU USE UP A BOX OF TISSUE IF YOU ARE THAT PERSON!

Now interesting difference for those of you who've seen the 1959 version (which for those of you don't know of this movie is the more popular movie), in the 59 version, the white women becomes a famous actress and the black women just pretty much is her live in nanny and best friend. BUT in the 1939(!!!!) version, they BOTH get rich off of the black women's pancake recipe (loosely implied as Aunt Jemima) and it's almost remarkable because this is the 30's! And in this movie, not only is this white women friends with this black women, they both get rich. Now, in the movie tho she insists on being the white womens maid even tho she's a millionaire, she wants to do it out of love (meh, believable to me, my great-grandmother is very much like that).

The sad truth is the actress playing the black mother in both versions I think desserved Oscar recognition, and on Wikipedia when it brings it up about the actress in the 1934 version it simply says: “the Academy could not recognize Miss Beavers. She is black!”, assholes :flipoff:

anyway here's the scene from the 1934 version that really twisted the fuck outta my heart (oh watched the whole thing on Youtube, you can too, they have the 1959 version on there too, if interested).

WATCH THIS ENTIRE SCENE FROM START TO END!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cscSimHI6HA&feature=channel&list=UL

I love both versions of this movie!

I love both versions of this movie!

I do too, it'd be hard for me to choose 1, but I DO love that in the 34 version that it was the black women's recipe that got them both rich, it's a little thing (kinda) but almost enough for me to put that 1 over the 59 version, but still both are honestly A+ movies from me.

I do too, it'd be hard for me to choose 1, but I DO love that in the 34 version that it was the black women's recipe that got them both rich, it's a little thing (kinda) but almost enough for me to put that 1 over the 59 version, but still both are honestly A+ movies from me.

Mahalia Jackson in 54 sanging for da lord at that funeral child. My mom said she wants that song at her funeral Mahalia gave me my life!

Mahalia Jackson in 54 sanging for da lord at that funeral child. My mom said she wants that song at her funeral Mahalia gave me my life!

WOO, she sang the LIFE into that coffin didn't she? lol. IT's SOOOO FUNNY your mom said that cause my grandma specifically said, she'd ONLY want that song sung to her, if Mahalia came through the clouds and started singin!!!!

Yea although I like that part of the story (the pancake thing) more, I DO LOVE the classic "50's Glamorous Hollywood" appeal to the 59 version.

WOO, she sang the LIFE into that coffin didn't she? lol. IT's SOOOO FUNNY your mom said that cause my grandma specifically said, she'd ONLY want that song sung to her, if Mahalia came through the clouds and started singin!!!!

Yea although I like that part of the story (the pancake thing) more, I DO LOVE the classic "50's Glamorous Hollywood" appeal to the 59 version.

Yep saw this one, the lady at the barbershop told me about this, she aint the crying type neither, but she spoke about that singing scene with Mahalia Jackson. I think the Black girl that can pass for white was Lana Turner.

Yep saw this one, the lady at the barbershop told me about this, she aint the crying type neither, but she spoke about that singing scene with Mahalia Jackson. I think the Black girl that can pass for white was Lana Turner.

Yea the black girl in the 1959 version is White and Puerto Rican. Wheres the black daughter in the 1939 version (who I think looks whiter than the girl in the 59 version) is 100% black (well definitely not 100, for real, but she said as far as she knows both her parents are).

A Thousand Words, D+ I soooo hate it when good movie ideas get shitty scripts, and certain actors (NOT Eddie, Eddie was good, despite the script) the overall idea was good, but certain things were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stupid it's ridiculous, like who wrote that shit? It could've been so much better than it was.