At 22 Will Rihanna be the artist to top Mariah Carey in number one singles...?

King Baby

Well?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What you think?

• Yes
    • No
    • It ain't a competition you dumb ass Nuklehid!

Why are ya'll coming for DJ so fiercely? :rolleyes:

I think the industry is trying to find it's way...and everything has changed. Artists are now putting out new albums every single year, just like they were before Mike and Janet came along and help create the "event album" which could chart and sell well for two or three years straight.

While I don't personally believe you can compare Rihanna's single success to the past, it's not something to downplay either. Can she sustain it is the big question...

• Downvote 2

when Janet Madonna Mariah were at the top of their game they were getting the same critique you guys give these artist now

Yes they were...Lots of people thought Janet, TLC, Aaliyah, Madonna, etc. couldn't sing and questioned their talent.

My mother still doesn't call Janet or Madonna singers, she calls them an entertainers and actually thinks Beyonce and P!nk are more talented.

Yes they were...Lots of people thought Janet, TLC, Aaliyah, Madonna, etc. couldn't sing and questioned their talent.

My mother still doesn't call Janet or Madonna singers, she calls them an entertainers and actually thinks Beyonce and P!nk are more talented.

i bet u told ur momma to say that didnt u :lmao::fail:

read my last post in the thread to understand what I am saying

they're are some artists that will always be remembered when talking about music history...they might not be talked about as much as they are now, but when it comes to naming all time greats, their names will always be there, while, the majority of the artists out now will not be...people like Beyonce and Usher, as it stand right now, will no doubt be remembered as people who had an impact for certain period of time, but as far as all time greats? I highly doubt that

you cant speak on what will happen 20 years from now as i said the same people who you think are great now got the same type of critique you guys give the new artist

but when they were at the TOP of their game tho??? criticism will always be there for any and every artist, however, not all are criticized in the same manner...hell there are plenty of people I feel are more talented than Janet, Michael, Prince, etc...however, talented doesn't automatically translate into better

see you get where I'm coming from these kids that are buying up the music dont know about janet madonna etc

and these new artist is all they know they are making there own history for them

question how old are u did you live or buy music when they were at the top of their game to even know what was going on i did i think i have a valid point

did you buy music in the 80's or were you in diapers

i'm not saying they were not criticized, that would be ridiculous since they are still criticized after everything thing they have done, but the level of criticism and the manner of criticism is not the same for every artist...criticism will always be there

read my last post in the thread to understand what I am saying

they're are some artists that will always be remembered when talking about music history...they might not be talked about as much as they are now, but when it comes to naming all time greats, their names will always be there, while, the majority of the artists out now will not be...people like Beyonce and Usher, as it stand right now, will no doubt be remembered as people who had an impact for certain period of time, but as far as all time greats? I highly doubt that

Exactly!! Look how popular J.Lo was for a while, and now, nobody mentions her. Yes she was successful, but she did nothing to change the game like JJ and Madonna and even Beyonce. Rihanna is in the J.Lo category.

i'm not saying they were not criticized, that would be ridiculous since they are still criticized after everything thing they have done, but the level of criticism and the manner of criticism is not the same for every artist...criticism will always be there

they got the same level of criticism i saw it i heard it

i didn't understand at that time when i was younger but it's the way it is you are always gonna think the music you grew up with was the best and the new stuff is horrible

Exactly!! Look how popular J.Lo was for a while, and now, nobody mentions her. Yes she was successful, but she did nothing to change the game like JJ and Madonna and even Beyonce. Rihanna is in the J.Lo category.

:lmao: and sorry to say she will be remembered for getting beat up by cb instead of those 9 number ones :coffee:

but there are only going to be a few that will change the game plus Jlo had a lot against her she didnt reach her peak until she was in her 30's age has a lot to do with it

and she made history for the latino community

Rihanna most likely will but let's not be delayed :rolleyes: Mariah earned the majority of her #1's the same way Rihanna did - discounts and tbh, I don't even remember a huge chunk of her #1's. Anyway, I agree that having many #1's on the Hot 100 doesn't make an artist a legend, critical acclaimed, etc. It just means folks like their singles. Case closed.

they got the same level of criticism i saw it i heard it

i didn't understand at that time when i was younger but it's the way it is you are always gonna think the music you grew up with was the best and the new stuff is horrible

so do you believe that every artist out now gets the same level of criticism as their peers? I know many people who feel like, yes, the music they grew up listening to was the best, however, they don't think every artist that out now is horrible...might not be thier cup of tea, but they respect the talent of the artist...hell my mom is 50's and 60's music to the bone...she was never a fan of Prince, Michael Jackson etc, however, her criticism of them is very different than other who were out at that time

:lmao: and sorry to say she will be remembered for getting beat up by cb instead of those 9 number ones :coffee:

so true but you guys are speaking for the younger generation when you are not so we cant say what she will be remember for

AND ONCE YOU HAVE A SCANDAL YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR THAT MORE THAT WHAT YOU ACCOMPLISHED

EXAMPLE

JANET - SUPERBOWL SCANDAL

BRITNEY SPEARS - NERVOUS BREAK DOWN SHAVING HEAD

RIHANNA - CHRIS BROWN BEAT DOWN

but there are only going to be a few that will change the game plus Jlo had a lot against her she didnt reach her peak until she was in her 30's age has a lot to do with it

and she made history for the latino community

Well, if Rihanna is still around after 20+ yrs in the industry and people are still interested like they are in Janet and Madonna and Mariah it will be a surprise, which is why I put her in the J.Lo category. Rihanna is doing well, but the point of this all is that her achievements can not be compared to any of the greats.

Rihanna most likely will but let's not be delayed :rolleyes: Mariah earned the majority of her #1's the same way Rihanna did - discounts and tbh, I don't even remember a huge chunk of her #1's. Anyway, I agree that having many #1's on the Hot 100 doesn't make an artist a legend, critical acclaimed, etc. It just means folks like their singles. Case closed.

Mariah makes the most generic music known to man so I try never to use her as an example...Tommy both half of those number ones...her voice and people's appreciation of it is what made her great

so do you believe that every artist out now gets the same level of criticism as their peers? I know many people who feel like, yes, the music they grew up listening to was the best, however, they don't think every artist that out now is horrible...might not be thier cup of tea, but they respect the talent of the artist...hell my mom is 50's and 60's music to the bone...she was never a fan of Prince, Michael Jackson etc, however, her criticism of them is very different than other who were out at that time

as i always said everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what is good and what's not

I guess you dont know what was said about the ones you think are great now back in the day and i'm not talking about the 90's :sigh:

Umm J.Lo has hits that ARE rememberable :umm: "If You Had My Love", "Waiting for Tonight", "Love Don't Cost a Thing", "Play", "I'm Real", "Jenny From The Block", and "All I Have".

Rihanna has "Umbrella" and possibly "Disturbia"...as far as features, "Live Your Life" and possibly "Love The Way You Lie".

You can't compare the two.