THE GREAT ESCAPE FROM 90s FATE...Which artist were able to escape the 90s...Which weren't?

King Baby

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now hate on Usher again...

:filenails::filenails::filenails::filenails::filenails::filenails::filenails::filenails:

Usher was introduced on "Call Me a Mack", a song he recorded for the soundtrack album to the 1993 drama-romance film Poetic Justice.[28]

On August 30, 1994, LaFace released Usher's self-titled debut album. Sean "P Diddy" Combs produced several of the tracks and co-executive produced the album.[30] Usher peaked at number twenty-five on the Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart and was accompanied by three singles: "Can U Get Wit It", "Think Of You", and "The Many Ways".[32] The album has sold over 500,000 copies, to date.[33]

After graduating from high school, Usher continued to develop his skills as a stage performer and laid the groundwork for his second album. He also appeared on their version of "Let's Straighten It Out", a 1995 duet with fellow Atlanta teen recording artist Monica;[34] and on "Dreamin'", from LaFace's 1996 Olympic Games benefit album Rhythm of the Games. He was also featured on "I Swear I'm In Love" off the 1996 Kazaam soundtrack.[35]

1997–2003: My Way and 8701Usher developed a friendship with American record producer, Jermaine Dupri, with whom he co-wrote and produced several tracks for his second album, My Way, released on September 16, 1997. The album's lead single, "You Make Me Wanna", reached number one in the United Kingdom, becoming Usher's first record to be top single; the record led to his popularity reaching in the country.[36][37] It also became Usher's first gold- and platinum-certified single in the United States.[38] The album's second single, "Nice & Slow", peaked in January 1998 at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, giving Usher his first US number-one single.[39] Later in February of the same year, the single was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America; My Way has been certified six-time platinum in the United States.[38]

"You Make Me Wanna" won the Best Male R&B/Soul Single at the 1999 Soul Train Music Awards.[40] In the closing months of 1997, Usher embarked on a series of tour engagements including a spot on Puffy's No Way Out tour, dates with Mary J. Blige, and the opening spot on Janet Jackson's The Velvet Rope Tour. Usher's first concert album, Live, was released in 1999, which featured appearances by Lil' Kim, Jagged Edge, Trey Lorenz, Shanice, Twista and Manuel Seal; the album has been certified gold in the United States.[38]

Usher made his acting debut on the UPN television series Moesha, which resulted in a recurring role on the series and subsequently his first film role in 1998's The Faculty.[25][33] Usher's extracurricular activities outside of the recording industry gathered momentum over the following year as he was cast in the soap opera, The Bold and the Beautiful.[25][33] He completed two more films, She's All That, and his first starring role in Light It Up.[25][33] He also appeared in the Disney TV movie "Geppetto".[41]

so this makes Usher HUGE in your eyes???? :unsure:

Was it certified GOLD back then or 15+ years later? :lol:

Honestly, some of these names shouldn't be on the list..especially if they arrived in the late 90's.

The only one I can truly say that survived was Mariah.

No Madonna? No Gwen? No Jay Z? No Missy Elliot? :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I think you need one of my lithium pills?

I'd give Mary more props than Usher ..she damn near started at the beginning of the 90s...Flush-her? ..NO!

You can hate all you want "pooh bear" but that man's career started in 1994 and is still in full swing into 2011. :filenails:

Your favs wish they could. :excited:

I don't make mistakes... :filenails:

His sound and everything never made it out the 90s. :wave:

You made a mistake and I'ma need for you to rectify the situation....NOW! :coffee:

Girl, boom... Michael's sound was his, but it was never dated and he continually influenced the lesser girls, so LET'S NOT. :coffee:

For MJ's standards it was a MAJOR decline ... but yet still successful in its own right. It depends on what angle you look at it from,basically.

I'm not here for that "MJ standards" of success BS (I'm not shading you, more so the media for coining that phrase).

Every single artist in the industry would KILL for the type of success MJ continued to have after "Thriller" and especially with "Invincible"... Michael's success was on par or greater than every Major artist out during that time.

The media has just tainted his success and painted everything with the "it didn't do what Thriller did" brush, but at the same time saying Mike needed to get away from trying to top it's success (and Michael said numerous times that he knew Thriller was a once in a lifetime thing and he wasn't trying to top it).

You (again, I'm referring to the media) can't have it both ways, either give the man credit for his success or stay stuck on "Thriller", but don't attack and belittle him on both ends of the stick.

Preach it, Big Bro!

tumblr_llyff9Ta9Y1qg66ec.gif

Even in death they're trying to deny Michael his stats. Invincible was heavily underfunded because of Sony :flipoff: but it sold like crazy and sky-rocketed on the charts with You Rock My World and Butterflies only. It went Double Platinum in LESS than a month WORLDWIDE. Also, many of his own peers commended the album and as you hear, plus you have some of these new boys tryin' to copy that same bid. While failing miserably as fuck :filenails:

Michael's Number Ones album was one of the best-selling greatest hits albums in HISTORY and This is It was no less than platinum around the globe!

Damn I'm sick of people not honoring this man when he deserves it so much. He got fucked over at the '88 Grammys and is still getting fucked over now :flipoff:

Thank you, Sis!

2viqm85.jpg

EXACTLY!!!! Sony (AKA Tommy Mottola) tried their best to kill the "Invincible" project and it STILL went Diamond worldwide...now just imagine what it could've done if Mike had the full support of his label! :mellow: Just thinking about it is crazy...and he was having this type of success in 2001. Girl...BYE at those who claim Invincible flopped!

...and people in the industry have been jealous of Mike's success since Thriller which is another reason they belittled him. He went to the top and beyond and though he single-handedly generated BILLIONS for the industry alot of people were and still remain bothered by his success.

Repackaging doesn't count. The Beatles sold millions in the new millennium too, but I definately wouldn't say they were artist that defined the 2000s... :thumbup:

I give you girls a high-five for trying though. :cheers:

Michael didn't have a chance to "define" the 2000s because of the situations that took place, but still he NEVER had a flop album. He did and would've continued to have success (not unlike Madge, but probably on a grander scale) but the situations prevented it...which is why I said, if anything, he should be in the "kinda/sort of but shit happened" category.

...so again, I'ma need for you to make the necessary changes. :coffee:

You can hate all you want "pooh bear" but that man's career started in 1994 and is still in full swing into 2011. :filenails:

Your favs wish they could. :excited:

I suggest you watch Usher's BEHIND THE MUSIC..and get back at me! You will learn so much of what you're lacking concerning his early career :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You made a mistake and I'ma need for you to rectify the situation....NOW! :coffee:

Girl, boom... Michael's sound was his, but it was never dated and he continually influenced the lesser girls, so LET'S NOT. :coffee:

I'm not here for that "MJ standards" of success BS (I'm not shading you, more so the media for coining that phrase).

Every single artist in the industry would KILL for the type of success MJ continued to have after "Thriller" and especially with "Invincible"... Michael's success was on par or greater than every Major artist out during that time.

The media has just tainted his success and painted everything with the "it didn't do what Thriller did" brush, but at the same time saying Mike needed to get away from trying to top it's success (and Michael said numerous times that he knew Thriller was a once in a lifetime thing and he wasn't trying to top it).

You (again, I'm referring to the media) can't have it both ways, either give the man credit for his success or stay stuck on "Thriller", but don't attack and belittle him on both ends of the stick.

Thank you, Sis!

2viqm85.jpg

EXACTLY!!!! Sony (AKA Tommy Mottola) tried their best to kill the "Invincible" project and it STILL went Diamond worldwide...now just imagine what it could've done if Mike had the full support of his label! :mellow: Just thinking about it is crazy...and he was having this type of success in 2001. Girl...BYE at those who claim Invincible flopped!

...and people in the industry have been jealous of Mike's success since Thriller which is another reason they belittled him. He went to the top and beyond and though he single-handedly generated BILLIONS for the industry alot of people were and still remain bothered by his success.

Michael didn't have a chance to "define" the 2000s because of the situations that took place, but still he NEVER had a flop album. He did and would've continued to have success (not unlike Madge, but probably on a grander scale) but the situations prevented it...which is why I said, if anything, he should be in the "kinda/sort of but shit happened" category.

...so again, I'ma need for you to make the necessary changes. :coffee:

Enough said. I don't even have to say anything after this. We've said it all, and Mike brilliance stats, speak for themselves. Two Fatalities and a Brutality for this. Done da-da :coffee:

subzeros_hand_fatality_display.gif

Sub_Zero__s_MKDA_Fatality_by_Nadjib_25.gif

michael-jackson-o.gif

Enough said. I don't even have to say anything after this. We've said it all, and Mike brilliance stats, speak for themselves. Two Fatalities and a Brutality for this. Done da-da :coffee:

subzeros_hand_fatality_display.gif

Sub_Zero__s_MKDA_Fatality_by_Nadjib_25.gif

michael-jackson-o.gif

Don't come in here acting as if you have arrived and won some sh*t... <_<

I wouldn't exactly put MJ, Whitney and Prince on that list because even though they weren't wildly successful in the 2000's they still made their mark on music history. Like TOF said, Invincible sold around 8 million... that's still a success, maybe not by his standards but a success is a success, Whitney's "I Look To You" gave her her first #1 album since The Bodyguard Soundtrack and her best first week numbers - that's success. I can't speak much on Prince cause I don't really follow him like that but I definitely wouldn't put them on the same level as Brandy, Mya ect.

I agree that Beyonce, Camel-Z, MJB, Mariah and Madonna all made good transitions.

MJ didn't make a good transition.

Janet did but fell off in the early 00's.

Prince fell off back in the mid 90's so his transition from 90's to 00's is trash.

I agree that Beyonce, Camel-Z, MJB, Mariah and Madonna all made good transitions.

MJ didn't make a good transition.

Janet did but fell off in the early 00's.

Prince fell off back in the mid 90's so his transition from 90's to 00's is trash.

Thank you. Michael didn't make a good transition. Ne-yo has been making the music he should have been making. :thumbup: