What made Michael Jackson a musical genius? serious question, no drama plz lol!

bzebabe

I was on twitter and some RT something in my time line about MJ being a musical genius. I've long come to accept that my views on MJ differs from many. Personally, i've never thought of him as a musical genius; an exceptional talent, yes, but i've never seen him as more than that. I've always believed that though he's an incredible entertainer, that aspect of his talent has always been overstated due to one defining era, simply because I don't feel like he has ever showed major growth from album to album, with the exception of Thriller (and album that I don't even believe is his best) or from tour to tour. My question to you is, do you feel like MJ is a musical genius, and if so, why?

try to keep it as drama free as possible folks lol...i'm just asking because I've seen where many have said that because of Thriller, MJ's talents have been made to be more than what they are...i'm checking to see if you guys feel the same way

If you really really listen to his songs, there is a lot of shit going on and it works.

He doesn't just go into the studio and sings, there is a lot emotion in each song..

This is the perfect example.

so emotion makes him a musical genius? I'm trying to get a feel for what you all think here...this is a no shade/no judgment zone *cough* Game aka Shade thrower extraordinaire*cough* lol...

so emotion makes him a musical genius? I'm trying to get a feel for what you all think here...this is a no shade/no judgment zone *cough* Game aka Shade thrower extraordinaire*cough* lol...

Emotion makes a song... Plus you throw in everything else that goes on his songs and you spit out perfection.. :dance: :dance:

Just listen to all the instruments and his ab libs and how they work together..

Emotion makes a song... Plus you throw in everything else that goes on his songs and you spit out perfection.. :dance: :dance:

and that's what makes a musical genius? i'm going to have to disagree with you on that one my friend...there are many artists who evoke great emotions in their songs...everything else that goes on in his songs does not all come from him...I think there is a big difference between the music he made with Quincy Jones and the music he made with Teddy Riley and Rodney Jerkins...HUGE difference in what you describe as "everything else that goes on in his songs"...if you take a song like Wanna Be Startin Something and put it up against Remember The Time...the difference is incredible

That doesn't mean he's a musical genius. It means he knows music theory like many other artists.

and that's what makes a musical genius? i'm going to have to disagree with you on that one my friend...there are many artists who evoke great emotions in their songs...everything else that goes on in his songs does not all come from him...I think there is a big difference between the music he made with Quincy Jones and the music he made with Teddy Riley and Rodney Jerkins...HUGE difference in what you describe as "everything else that goes on in his songs"...if you take a song like Wanna Be Startin Something and put it up against Remember The Time...the difference is incredible

Can you name another artist that's a musical genius that doesn't play instruments?

Emotion, drive, talent, creativity. There is a reason so many love his music his songs, paid to see his concerts, cried and followed his every move. He wasnt completely manufactured like alot of todays acts. He actually had an abundance of talent. Wrote songs, developed dance moves, developed melodies that will be sampled forever. There is a reason every kind of entertainer wanted to work with him, and he won every kind of award available. Just pure talent. That is why he is in the same bracket as Beatles etc as household names worldwide. I mean he redefined music pushing the video era. All the bitches that came after him trying to make videos learned watching him go all out in his videos. Even his business game was incredible. Yeah there was all kinds of rumors of his spending habits, and loans and shit but he made one of the shrewdest moves you can in music getting his hands on that beatles catalogue and pissing off everyone that wanted it till the day he died. That is money in the bank forever unless those kids and the family fuck it up somehow.

You can see his influence all over the entertainment map. To have your voice, your music, your image THAT recognizable ALL over the globe what else do you need to do to be a musical genious if that isnt enough? I mean it isnt like his influence will ever vanish. Its too widespread, to ingrained in the pop psyche and his influence has lasted for decades grooming the next few rounds of entertainers who we can clearly see drew influence from him and what he did. That is pure genius.

his best 2 albums "Off The Wall" & "Thriller" you would have to thanks Quincy Jones he produced those albums as well as his "Bad" album

I think what made Mike so great was that he used the art of video when it first came out and he connect with everyone

Of course he had production help, and video directors, and people to stock his refrigerator at his concerts no one can reach the level of saturation in the public eye without some kinda help. That doesnt negate his talent level or his personal musical genius. If he isn't a musical genius then NO one is. You can't name anyone that huge that did everything alone with no help. They all needed someone along the way obviously.

Of course he had production help, and video directors, and people to stock his refrigerator at his concerts no one can reach the level of saturation in the public eye without some kinda help. That doesnt negate his talent level or his personal musical genius. If he isn't a musical genius then NO one is. You can't name anyone that huge that did everything alone with no help. They all needed someone along the way obviously.

talent does not equate genius...I don't think anyone under the sun could say with a straight face that MJ was not ridiculously talented, however, a musical genius is another thing

Emotion, drive, talent, creativity. There is a reason so many love his music his songs, paid to see his concerts, cried and followed his every move. He wasnt completely manufactured like alot of todays acts. He actually had an abundance of talent. Wrote songs, developed dance moves, developed melodies that will be sampled forever. There is a reason every kind of entertainer wanted to work with him, and he won every kind of award available. Just pure talent. That is why he is in the same bracket as Beatles etc as household names worldwide. I mean he redefined music pushing the video era. All the bitches that came after him trying to make videos learned watching him go all out in his videos. Even his business game was incredible. Yeah there was all kinds of rumors of his spending habits, and loans and shit but he made one of the shrewdest moves you can in music getting his hands on that beatles catalogue and pissing off everyone that wanted it till the day he died. That is money in the bank forever unless those kids and the family fuck it up somehow.

You can see his influence all over the entertainment map. To have your voice, your music, your image THAT recognizable ALL over the globe what else do you need to do to be a musical genious if that isnt enough? I mean it isnt like his influence will ever vanish. Its too widespread, to ingrained in the pop psyche and his influence has lasted for decades grooming the next few rounds of entertainers who we can clearly see drew influence from him and what he did. That is pure genius.

the majority of people who speak of his influence speak about it is mainly in terms of his ability to entertain and preparation...does that equate musical genius? does great videos define musical genius?

This doesn't make him a musical genius. I'm sure we're all aware of his influences and fame but again that doesn't equate to being a musical genius.

We have names like 'Britney Spears' ingrained in the pop psyche but I wouldn't consider her a musical genius. Would you?

The questions are - Could Michael Jackson create a whole album without the assistance of today's hottest producer/songwriter? Could MJ write, produce and compose a hit or memorable classic for other artists? Could MJ solely create his own sound or genre of music? Could MJ do genres of music outside of the typical Pop and R&B/Soul? To me that's what makes a musical genius.

talent does not equate genius...I don't think anyone under the sun could say with a straight face that MJ was not ridiculously talented, however, a musical genius is another thing

and the distinction you're making is that being immensely talented as a performer/visual artist/pop star etc doesn't mean he is a musical genius, right?

Can you name another artist that's a musical genius that doesn't play instruments?

to say name "another" would somewhat sound like I feel that MJ is a musical genius, I don't...but, yes, I can name a FEW artists who I consider to be genius who don't play instruments...but that's a whole other thread...this thread is strictly about what makes MJ a musical genius

and the distinction you're making is that being immensely talented as a performer/visual artist/pop star etc doesn't mean he is a musical genius, right?

exactly, and I think people are getting confused with the two...i'm alking about being a musical genius....not making great videos, not dancing on a stage...those things come after the music...musical genius...what makes him a musical genius